Onion Tomato Raita is a quick, delicious, easy to make, and one of the most popular Indian accompaniments or yogurt dips. It is prepared with yogurt, onion, tomato, green chilies, and some powdered spices.
Make this simple onion tomato raita and serve it with your favorite rice or curry dish. A spoonful of this flavored and crunchy textured cool onion tomato raita can spruce up any spicy meal.
This page has all the tips and variations one will need to make this easy raita. You can also check out the onion tomato raita recipe video on this page.
This old-fashioned onion tomato raita is healthy and nutritious and comes together really quickly. It is ready in under 5 minutes if you have chopped vegetables ready. Not only it tastes incredibly delicious, but it is also very refreshing and cooling.
Raita is a frequent visitor at Indian homes. Any type of raita is must during summer months, along with spicy Indian side dishes. This is because any dish of dahi (yogurt) helps to dial down the spices of curry or any other spicy side dish.
In India during hot months, people believe in increasing the consumption of yogurt-based dishes such as raita, , and . This is because it has that cooling effect on your body, and it helps to beat the summer heat. Thus, the devouring of dishes made using yogurt increases significantly during the summer.
This Onion Tomato Raita:
✔︎ is easy to make.
✔︎ is ready under 5 minutes.
✔︎ is ideal for spicy dishes.
✔︎ tastes delicious.
✔︎ is made with simple ingredients.
✔︎ is healthy and nutritious.
What is Raita?
Raita is a common name for Indian condiments made using seasoned yogurt (curd/dahi), and various vegetables, fruits, or fried gram flour/besan puffs (boondi).
What is Onion Tomato Raita?
Onion tomato raita is an easy and delicious raita prepared with onion, tomato, green chili, coriander leaves and some spices. This raita is also known as tamatar pyaaz ka raita.
How to make Onion Tomato Raita?
Making Onion tomato raita is extremely easy, and it one of the best tasting raita made using simplistic kitchen ingredients. Everyone has their own preferred way of making onion tomato raita and this is my favorite way of making onion tomato raita. It comes out perfect each time.
Here is how to make onion tomato raita in 3 simple steps:
Step 1: Chop onion, tomato, green chili, and coriander leaves and add them to a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add whisked yogurt, spices, and mix well.
Step 3: Chill and serve.
You can see the full recipe in the recipe box on this page.
What are the ingredients used in Onion Tomato Raita?
Onion tomato raita is remarkably simple raita made with basic kitchen ingredients. These are:
- Green Chili
- Coriander (Cilantro leaves)
- Black or Pink Salt
- Black Pepper Powder
- Cumin Powder
What to serve with Onion Tomato Raita?
I love this raita so much and I can basically match it with almost everything. :)
Here are some serving suggestions for you:
- Meal idea 1: Onion Tomato Raita +
- Meal idea 2: Onion Tomato Raita + ,
- Meal idea 3: Onion Tomato Raita + (or ), Roasted Papad
- Meal idea 4: Onion Tomato Raita + ,
- Meal idea 5: Onion Tomato Raita + , ,
- Meal idea 6: Onion Tomato Raita + , ,
- Meal idea 7: Onion Tomato Raita + , ,
How to store Onion Tomato Raita?
Onion Tomato Raita tastes best when made fresh. But if you have some leftover raita and you want to save it for later use, then simply store it in an airtight container for up to 1 day. After that, it starts releasing water and does not taste the same.
Can I freeze Onion Tomato Raita?
You can freeze it, but it loses the flavor. The fresh raita is the best. If you want to freeze this raita, then I would recommend freezing only the spiced yogurt without vegetables.
When you want to use it, simply thaw the yogurt in the refrigerator for 6-7 hours. And then, add the freshly chopped onion, tomato, green chili, and coriander leaves to it. It would taste outstanding with fresh veggies.
How To Make Vegan Onion Tomato Raita?
To make this raita vegan, replace plain yogurt with coconut, soy, or cashew yogurt. Basically, any dairy-free yogurt can be used here.
Tips and variations to make the best tasting onion tomato raita at home:
- Kids (and many grownups) love raitas which are slightly sweet. So, you can also add some sugar or honey to the yogurt mixture to make it slightly sweet.
- Green chili adds perfect hotness to this raita. If you do not eat chili too much, then you can skip it.
- You can also replace green chili with some smoked paprika or red chili powder.
- Chopped mint leaves can also be added to this raita.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon of fine mint powder for a nice refreshing flavor.
- The addition of roasted cumin powder boosts up the zest of raitas, so I would highly advise adding it to this raita. If you can’t find roasted cumin powder and then you can easily make it at home using this roasted cumin powder recipe I have shared previously.
- You can also add some chopped cucumbers to this raita to make cucumber onion tomato raita.
- You can also add a tempering of mustard seeds, asafetida and curry leaves to it.
- You can serve it as it is, or garnish the raita with some coriander leaves and powdered spices.
- Finely chopped veggies add a nice crunch to this raita. You can also grate onion tomato for this raita recipe.
- I have used a combination of black salt and regular table salt. You can choose any salt of your choice.
- You can also add some chaat masala powder to spice it up more.
- If your yogurt is thin, then use 1.5 cups of yogurt and avoid water.
- To make green onion tomato raita, replace onion with chopped spring onions.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO BELOW: Onion Tomato Raita
(Please wait for a couple of seconds for loading)
Direct Video link: https://www.youtube.com/embed/EjivhQThShc