Learn How To Make Restaurant Style Shahi Kaju Curry | Cashew Curry recipe | Kaju Masala (काजू करी) with a simple step-by-step video instructions. Cashew curry (काजू करी) is another delicacy from Punjabi cuisine. The recipe is also called Kaju Butter Masala. In this curry, roasted cashews are slowly cooked in a spicy, creamy and silky onion tomato based gravy. A perfect side dish for a vegetarian meal.
Do you have any fun plans for the weekend? If you ask me, then my plan is pretty clear. Tomorrow we have some guests coming home for dinner, so will stay at home and will cook something really good. And the next day, we are planning to visit a neighboring town.
Two days ago little A and I went shopping for Strawberries. and I must say that it was way so much fun than I initially anticipated. We picked so good-looking, luscious red, fresh and organic strawberries — YUMMMM.
Caution: So many strawberries recipes coming soon. 😀
Today I have something really nice — an effortless and delicious comfort food. The recipe is Restaurant Style Shahi Kaju Curry aka Cashew Curry. This is another delicacy from Punjabi cuisine. The recipe is also called ‘Kaju Butter Masala’. A perfect side dish for a vegetarian meal.
Other awesomely mouthwatering Punjabi recipes I love:
- Punjabi Chola
- Punjabi Dal Makhani
- How To Make Punjabi Chole Bhature
- Punjabi Baingan Bharta
- Restaurant Style Matar Paneer Curry
- Lachha Paratha 3 Ways
- Egg Curry
This simple, easy and classic Shahi Kaju Curry (Cashew Curry) is everything you need on a cool summer evening. Cool summer evening? Yes, the kind of evenings we are having here these days can be called as cool evenings. The days are summery and the evenings are cool. And when you feel a cool breeze then you crave for some comfort food. Well, that’s what I do at least.
Related: Egg Drop Curry Recipe
It’s easy, healthy, packed with almost everyone’s favorite nut ‘Cashewnut’. And you don’t need any other ingredients for the base of this curry — only cashews are needed to create the magic.
This is one of my favorite curries, and I make sure to eat this at a local restaurant at least once during my every visit to India. I just love this. Or maybe I should say this is one of such curries which I can eat on any day of the year. Yes, you can say that I am quite obsessed with this curry. But guys, try this curry once and you’ll know why am I so obsessed with this.
Related: Black Eyed Bean Zucchini Peach Curry
There are two versions of this Kaju masala curry. Tomato based red gravy or white khoya based gravy. Today I am sharing the one which is made with tomato based gravy.
What is Restaurant Style Shahi Kaju Curry?
In this curry, roasted cashews are slowly cooked in a spicy, creamy and silky onion tomato based gravy. Due to cashews, this curry is quite heavy and rich, thus this is usually made for celebrations and special occasions. The rich and smooth texture comes from ground cashews + cashew cream and ghee. So simple and fast, and so amazingly flavorsome.
Related: Baked Mushroom Spinach Kofta Curry
Some important tips for making this Shahi Kaju Curry:
- To get the restaurant style taste, I added kitchen king masala to the sauce. Yes, this masala creates an enormous difference.
- And the second thing which shines the flavor is the Kasuri Methi.
- I used whole cashews for this recipe, but you can also use broken cashews.
- To make it shahi, I am using roasted cashews, but you can also add cashews without roasting them.
- To give it a rich texture, I added a teaspoon of ghee at the end, but that is completely optional. However, if you cannot compromise on taste like me, then adding roasted cashews and ghee is a good idea.
Related: Almond Peas Curry
How to serve Restaurant Style Kaju Curry?
Let’s now learn How To Make Restaurant Style Shahi Kaju Curry | Cashew Curry recipe | Kaju Masala (काजू करी)
Restaurant Style Kaju Curry - Cashew Curry - Kaju Masala (Step-by-step photo instructions)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil in a pan.
- Add cashews and roast them on medium heat till they are golden brown in color. Stir continuously till it becomes nice golden brown.
- Once done, drain and transfer them to a bowl. Keep them aside.
How To Make Shahi Kaju Curry:
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee to the same pan.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon stick, dried red chili, star anise, black cardamom, peppercorns, ginger garlic paste, and sauté sauté for a minute.
- After that, add onion paste and stir well.
- Saute until onion paste is golden in color. This would take about 6-7 minutes.
- Once the onions are cooked, add tomato puree and Stir well.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now, add red chili powder, kitchen king masala, coriander powder, turmeric powder and ground cashews, and stir well. Let them cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and stir well until combined. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in Kasuri methi, salt, sugar, garam masala powder, roasted cashews, and mix well.
- Add more water 1/4 needed, cook covered again for 5 minutes.
- Now, add cashew cream or milk cream and mix everything well.
- Cook for another minute and remove from heat. Add ghee and stir well.
- Transfer kaju curry to a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves, cream, and cashews.
- Serve hot with paneer naan or paratha.