Learn to make Restaurant Style Matar Paneer Curry Recipe | Matar Paneer Masala Recipe with step-by-step video tutorial. Restaurant Style Matar Paneer is another famous creamy and comfy Punjabi curry recipe hailing from the Northern part of India. This curry goes so well with Naan, steamed rice or parathas or roti.
Hello, my foodie buddies. How was your Easter? I hope you guys had a lovely holiday. Mine was unpredictably awesome.
My Easter Weekend Adventure
Remember when I told you about my Easter plans here, that my hubby dear had to plan something for this Easter holiday. So he did plan something really exhilarating which I wanted to do for such a looooong time.
This thing was something which I desperately wanted to do, but could not do without any expert help. Actually, I was planning to optimize my site by changing it’s theme and underlying configuration for many months. I wanted to do this due to some loading issues but just couldn’t do it.
Finally, A New Beginning
I don’t know if you have noticed or not, but my site has finally gotten a new makeover. Yes, I am very happy to inform you all that my baby, ‘My Ginger Garlic Kitchen’ has gotten some new Easter presents — a new make-over after almost 3 years. Woohooo!
I guess, this Easter really brought new beginnings for me. I hope this brings happiness too in terms of working great.:)
Related: Restaurant Style Paneer Do Pyaza
I need your help
I would really admire if you guys give me your feedback about this new look. And also please feel free to tell me, if there is something which I am missing here. TIA.
Related: Palak Paneer
Okay, let’s chat about today’s recipe. The recipe I am sharing today is ‘Matar Paneer Curry’. It’s green peas and cottage cheese curry.
Related: How to Make Paneer at Home
Matar Paneer Curry
Matar Paneer Curry is one of the most popular Indian dishes which is available throughout the land. Be it a party, get-together, any gathering, weddings, family dinner, or restaurants, this exists everywhere. Those who like paneer recipes would surely love matar paneer and I am certainly one, who adores paneer.
When to cook
Whenever guests come to my home for dinner I make this curry as a vegetarian main course and serve it along with Indian naan bread. Everyone just loves it. This makes a wonderful side for the vegetarian dinner menu. For paneer dishes, I love making my own Paneer, but you can simply make this classic and creamy Matar Paneer curry with store-bought paneer too.
Sometimes to make it vegan, I swap paneer for tofu, yogurt for soya yogurt. Whichever way, the curry tastes just as delicious, comfy, classic and creamy as it tastes with paneer. And by saying that I want to tell you that you can easily make a VEGAN version of this great paneer curry. The fantastic thing about this curry is that it is super easy and can be ready in just 30 mins.
Related: How to Make Paneer Bhurji
This is another such great recipe which is prepared in every Indian household and everyone have their own version of this beloved recipe. So this is my version which I have been eating and loving for as long as I remember. And I believe that you would love it too.
Watch Restaurant Style Matar Paneer Curry video below (please wait for a couple of seconds for loading).
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
- Onion, diced - 2 large
- Cashews - 8-10
- Bay leaf - 1
- Star Anise - 1
- Cloves - 4
- Garlic cloves, peeled and chopped - 5-6
- ginger, roughly chopped - 1-inch pieces
- Tomato, diced - 2 large
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Water - 4 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Onion tomato paste (1½ cup)
- Green peas (boiled 5 minutes) or frozen peas, thawed - ½ cup
- Paneer (cottage cheese) cubes - 1½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Sugar / honey - 2 tsp
- Natural Yogurt - ¼ cup
- dried fenugreek leaves / Kasuri methi - 1 tbsp
- Green chili, sliced - 2
- Red chili powder - 1
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder - ¼ tsp
- Water - ¼ cup or as needed
- Butter - 1 tbsp (Optional)
- Heat the oil in a broad pan. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Now add bay leaf, cashews, star anise, cloves, ginger, garlic, and onions.
- Let them sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for 4 minutes. Let them cool for few minutes.
- Add the little water and grind the onions, tomatoes to a smooth paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in another pan. Add cumin seeds and asafetida. When seeds start to crackle add prepared tomato onion paste and cook for 3-4 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Now add the chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder.
- Mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now add green peas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add yogurt, sugar, mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add water, mix well and cook for another minute.
- Add paneer cubes and mix gently.
- Now add dried fenugreek leaves, green chili, butter.
- Mix gently and cook for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with naan or rice.
You may also like these other popular Punjabi recipes:
- How To Make Punjabi Aloo Paratha – 2 Ways
- How To Make Punjabi Baingan Bharta
- Restaurant Style Dal Makhani
- How to Make Punjabi Achaari Gobi
- How To Make Punjabi Chole Bhature
- Authentic Punjabi Chole Masala
- Punjabi Paneer Bhurji Dry
If you cook this dish, be sure to tag your photo with this hashtag: #mggk
Happy Cooking and Keep Sharing! 🙂