Learn to make Bhindi Aloo Tofu Masala Recipe | Okra Potato Tofu Stir Fry with step-by-step photos. Bhindi Tofu Masala aka okra tofu stir-fry is a vegan and gluten-free spicy side dish which is best served with rice and bread.
Hello friends! You know what, I have some masala (really spicy) recipe to share with you today! 🙂
Yeaah! It is Bhindi, which is okra in English, aka ladies’s fingers. For me, this one is quite special and emotional vegetable, as it is my darling husband’s favorite dish. They say, when you love someone, you love everything he/she loves. 🙂 It is the same case with me. He would love to have okra fry anytime; so do I.
This Monday, I bought some fresh green Okra, and decided to cook that for dinner. Although I did not want to cook its regular or the gravy version, I really wanted to cook something a little striking.
Instead of making the regular version of Bhindi, I have done something a bit different with Bhindi masala this time. I decided to add roasted tofu to regular Bhindi. Hmmmm!!
Well actually, to say, I was a little suspicious about adding tofu to husband’s favorite dish. It was an experiment and I was a bit nervous. Would it be a good idea to make a change in someone’s favorite dish? I was in a dilemma while preparing for this stir-fry. First, because I have never added tofu to bhindi before. And second, will that come out well? But at the corner of my heart, I knew that it is never going to be bad, and he would love this. And, if everything goes well, I do think this would be as delicious as it should be. 🙂
Related: Achaari Dahi Bhindi With Duppad Roti
Alright, so now Tofu is the new ingredient. But then, I thought it might also be fun to add some more new ingredients. I made this bhindi tofu masala by adding roasted tofu, and roasted potatoes, along with some spices for the same striking aroma.
The result was bestest ‘bhindi‘ ever. It looked so good. Flavor was so addictive, so full of awesomeness. So flipping good. Husband agreed that it was very delicious. All he needed to make it heavenly was a dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice. That was it. He said UUUUMMMM, it is so delicious. 🙂 I loved theslighty crispness of roasted potatoes and tofu, It was just perfect.
Related: Exotic Pumpkin Tofu Halwa
Simply served this stir fry with plain paratha (flat bread), and that’s it. A full comfy meal is there. You don’t need anything else. And believe me, you can never have enough of this bhindi tofu masala. Everyone would love this. Potato lovers, Okra Lovers, Tofu lovers, everyone! Wow! So many favorites in a single dish!
So, what do you think about this little tofu twist? If you ask me, I would give it a A+. And husband called it a super win 🙂 🙂 So, mission successful!
Related: Mint Chana With Grilled Tofu
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add tofu triangles and roast from both sides, till they turn slightly brown in color. Remove from pan, and set aside.
Related: Creamy Tofu Bell Pepper Curry
Now add 1 tbsp oil and add sliced potatoes to it, and roast from both sides, till they turn golden brown. Remove from pan, and keep aside for later use.
Now add okra, turmeric powder, and salt. Let them cook covered for 7-8 minutes or till okra is soft. Stir occasionally to prevent from burning. Now add roasted tofu, roasted potato slices, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes, and remove from heat. Squeeze some lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot with any of your favorite bread or rice.
Related: Pumpkin Rind Stir-Fry
- Okra/Bhindi, cut to half lengthwise – 2 cups
- Tofu, cut into triangles - 1 cup
- Potato, peeled, sliced - 2
- Onion, cut into half slice – 1
- Green chillies, finely chopped – 2
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp (Optional)
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- carom seeds -1/2 tsp
- a pinch of asafetida
- salt as per taste
- olive oil – 1½ tbsp
- oil for roasting - 2 tbsp
- lemon juice- ½ tsp
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add tofu triangles and roast from both sides, till they turn slightly brown in color.
- Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Now add 1 tbsp oil and add sliced potatoes to it, and roast from both sides, till they turn golden brown.
- Remove from pan, and keep aside for later use.
- Heat 1 ½ tbsp oil in the same pan. Add asafetida, cumin seeds, and carom seeds.
- Let them splutter. Add onions, and sauté them for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add okra, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Let them cook covered for 7-8 minutes or till okra is soft.
- Stir occasionally to prevent from burning.
- Now add roasted tofu, roasted potato slices, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and mix well.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, and remove from heat.
- Squeeze some lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot with any of your favorite bread or rice.
You may also like these potato recipes:
- Potato Peas Stir Fry
- Classic Potato Bell Pepper Stir-Fry
- How to Make Punjabi Achaari Gobi
- Fresh Turmeric Root Curry
- Poori Bhaji Recipe
- Jeera Aloo Quesadilla
If you cook this dish, be sure to tag your photo with this hashtag: #mggk
Happy Cooking and Keep Sharing! 🙂
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in November 2014 and has been updated for comprehensiveness and freshness.