Learn to make Creamy Tofu Bell Pepper Curry Recipe — Kadai Tofu Masala recipe with step-by-step photos — This healthy, comfy, and deliciously satisfying curry is one of the irresistible and aromatic dishes that has the taste thrills of festive food. It would give you an incredible smoking flavor of bell peppers aka capsicum & onions.
It’s Friday again. I wish you have a great weekend and have lots of goodies 🙂 Strongly, it’s gonna be a busy weekend for me. We celebrated an Indian Festival at home, and it is called Karwa Chauth.
This is a festival celebrated by all the married Hindu women. The fasting of Karwa Chauth and its rituals are observed by married women for the long life of their husbands.
Related: Restaurant Style Matar Paneer Curry
They wake up early in the morning and eat something sweet before the sun rises. And after that, they keep fasting the whole day without eating or drinking anything, till the moon rises.
I know it sounds pushing. But believe me, it’s a great test of human endurance, and becomes a pleasant experience, especially when you are doing this for the love of your life, your spouse. For me, this is the fascinating festival since childhood.
Related: Roasted Eggplant Curry Recipe
I saw my granny, my mom celebrating it with other women. Now, I wait the whole year for this festival, and you can imagine, its such a great occasion for me really 🙂 This is the day when I show my love by doing something for my husband.
In my childhood, I fantasized about this day. The day, when I would do the same for my Mr. Right. I know it sounds weird, but it wasn’t as it sounds.
Related: Rajasthani Gatta Curry
Traditionally this fast is done by women only. But there are some men as well, who love to do this for their beloved wives. And I am very honored to announce, that I am in one of those lucky wives 🙂 You can visualize, it’s a feeling above explanation when hubby does some real tough task for you. Principally, when it’s not obligatory for him to do.
Related: Rajasthani Govind Gatta Curry
As you all know I belong to Jaipur, Rajasthan, a royal city well known for its royal culture and festivals. Being a part of that cultural city, how could I avoid this one.
Now, you all must be thinking that I am very religious and cultural at heart. The answer is certainly no. I just respect my culture, as I do with other cultures too.
Anyhow, for me, it was always a great time of year, when Indian festivals start and you get to eat so many goodies every day. Ohhhhh, I am feeling nostalgic. Kids are always waiting for festivals, so did I 🙂
Related: Egg Drop Curry Recipe
The question is, did we enjoy this festival? Oh Yes, we celebrated it well, and it was so much FUN 🙂
For this festival, I did not want to occupy myself in the kitchen for long hours, as I could not do that with an empty stomach.
Related: Restaurant Style Shahi Kaju Curry
I speculated but had no clues. It was too hard to decide on a recipe for this special dinner feast. As I wanted to make something quicker, filler and exquisite too. Though, it was tough to decide on the recipe I was going to prepare. As you know me, I am always inclined towards the spicy curry dishes.
However, it was the time, when I wanted to know what hubby prefers to eat to end his long day fasting. So we mutually agreed on Tofu Bell Pepper Curry — Kadai Tofu Masala, along with matar pulao (peas pilaf), and Missi Paratha (wheat flour and gram flour flatbread, seasoned with spices).
Related: Potato Onion Curry
It’s always all about a well-balanced diet. So yes, I went with something sweet too, but not overly. I made a very simple dish, quick Suji ka Halwa (Semolina Pudding). This was indeed SO SIMPLE. SO QUICK, and SO TASTY.
Let’s come to the recipe now. YES! This was a Creamy-Tofu-Bell-Pepper-Curry. This sounds so yummylicious, RIGHT? I know, it was so delectable indeed.
This curry is one of the irresistible and aromatic dishes that has the taste thrills of festive food. It would give you an incredible smoking flavor of bell peppers & onions.
Related: Fresh Turmeric Root Curry
Tofu, bell pepper/capsicum, (shimla mirch), grounded cashew, tangy tomato, butter, cheese, and of course a whole bunch of powder and ground spices. Mmmmm, it was CREAMY. It was RICH. It was TANGY. It was BUTTERY. And It was SPICY too. All I can say, it did one thing, that it made a perfect dinner package, which we badly needed after the day-long fast.
Let’s learn how I cooked this tangy-spicy-colorful Creamy Tofu Bell Pepper Curry Recipe — Kadai Tofu Masala with step-by-step photos.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan. Add cubed bell peppers, and cubed onions. saute on high heat for 5 minutes, or until you smell nice smoky aroma. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add butter to the same pan. Now add dried red chili, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf.Let them saute for few seconds.
Now add onion, ginger-garlic paste, and saute on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until it turns golden brown in color. Now add cheese spreads, and ground cashew and mix thoroughly. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
Now add tomato puree, and cook covered for 5 minutes. Add chilli powder, cumin powder, kitchen king masala powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix well, and let the masala cook for 5-6 minutes.
Now dried fenugreek leaves, and mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes. Now add sautéed bell peppers, and onions. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
Add tofu, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Now add the cream, sugar, and mix well and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and serve hot with rice or any of your favorite bread.
Creamy Tofu Bell Pepper Curry Recipe - Kadai Tofu Masala [Recipe]
(Rating: 4.1 from 66 reviews)
|Prep time 🕐||Cook time 🕐||Total time 🕐|
|Category ☶||Cuisine ♨||Serves ☺|
|Nutrition Info ⊛||Serving size ⊚|
|195 calories||1 serving|
For Creamy Tofu Bell Pepper Curry:
- 1 1/2 cups tofu, cubed
- 1 medium-sized yellow bell pepper (peeli shimla mirch), cubed
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper (lal shimla mirch), cubed
- 2 medium-sized onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed- 1 tbsp
- 1/4 cup fresh cream, (use vegan cream for vegan version)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 dried red chili (sukhi lal mirch)
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 1 cup onion, ginger-garlic paste (2 medium sized onions, 2 tablespoons garlic + 1 tablespoon ginger boiled and pureed)
- 1/4 cup grounded cashew (we need coarse texture, so do not over-grind)
- 1 teaspoon kitchen king masala powder (you can also use tandoori masala)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 pieces cheese spread triangles, or fresh cream 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt, as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
For Creamy Tofu Bell Pepper Curry:
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- Add cubed bell peppers, and cubed onions. saute on high heat for 5 minutes, or until you smell nice smoky aroma. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add butter to the same pan.
- Now add dried red chili, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf.
- Let them saute for few seconds.
- Now add onion, ginger-garlic paste, and saute on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until it turns golden brown.
- Now add cheese spreads, and ground cashew and mix thoroughly.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add tomato puree, and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Add chilli powder, cumin powder, kitchen king masala powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and salt.
- Mix well, and let the masala cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Now dried fenugreek leaves, and mix well.
- Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now add sautéed bell peppers, and onions. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tofu, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add in the cream, sugar, and mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro leaves, and serve hot with matar pulao, naan, or any of your favourite bread.
- Use vegan cheese spread and vegan butter, if making it vegan.
If this recipe helped you, then please spread the word by sharing and subscribing to us on YouTube to get more such Recipe Videos.
Your feedback is so helpful for me and other MyGingerGarlicKitchen readers. So, for Facebook and Instagram, please mention @MyGingerGarlicKitchen or #mygingergarlickitchen. I would love to see your photos. :)
Recipe Source Link: https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/creamy-tofu-bell-pepper-curry-recipe/
Date Published: 2022-10-29