How To Make Roasted Cumin Powder Recipe | Bhuna Jeera Powder ( भुना ज़ीरा पाउडर ) – Homemade Jeera Powder
Pin it to your SPICE BOARD to SAVE IT for later!
Follow My Ginger Garlic Kitchen on Pinterest for even more great ideas and deliciously appealing recipes!
Time for another DIY post. And this time this DIY post is about making a super quick and easy recipe. It’s Roasted Cumin Powder. Cumin Seeds aka Jeera is a must in most of the savory Indian dishes, and you might have seen many of my recipes which required roasted jeera powder. Many Indian dishes do.
Related: Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk
I have been getting so many requests for a long time, about ‘How To Make Roasted Cumin Powder / Bhuna Jeera Powder’. So, here it is. Anyone who has ever used Jeera in their dishes, will agree with the fact that the redolent fragrance of jeera makes dishes more flavorful.
Cumin seeds also have many marvelous health benefits, the major being aiding in digestion. Yes, it is also believed that the consumption of Jeera can improve the digestion and reduces constipation. No wonder this is amazingly good for your skin and hair.
I reckon it to be true because I can still recall my grandparents drinking a glass of spiced buttermilk, Chaas, after lunch — which had a lot of jeera powder.
Related: Homemade Ginger Garlic Paste
The homemade powder is much more fragrant than the store-bought packets. And the process to make it at home only requires cumin seeds and some time.
I still remember that most of the times my Mom used to put freshly roasted and grounded jeera powder in food. She roasted jeera on roti tawa while making rotis and grounded instantly with a rolling pin. No wonder it was the best. Mmmm, that aroma of jeera being roasted is something I still yearn for.
Some Awesome Recipes where you can use this Roasted Jeera Powder:
- Sev Stuffed Paratha Recipe
- Palak Paneer Recipe
- Roasted Beetroot Falafel Recipe With Green Tahini Dip
- How To Make Indian Paneer Stuffed Naan
- Creamy Sweet Potato Carrot Soup | Video Recipe
- Masaledar Jau Ki Papdi
- How to Make Masala Chaas
- How To Make Dahi Ke Kabab
- Rajasthani Besan Ke Cheele Ka Raita
The addition of this homemade Jeera Powder to your dishes would surely boost the flavors. It gives a nice intense aromatic flavor and taste to the food. You can quickly and easily make a batch and then store it in an airtight container. It’s generally added in Indian foods like Chaat, Bhel, Raitas, and many more similar dishes.
Related: How to Make Paneer at Home
- Cumin seeds / Jeera - ¼ cup
- In a wide pan add the cumin seeds and roast them at medium heat till they are golden and aromatic. It would take about 2 minutes. (Do not over roast the jeera seeds, they might taste bitter).
- Remove from heat and transfer to a plate. Let them cool completely.
- Transfer it into a grinder and grind to make a fine powder.
- Your roasted Jeera Powder is ready.
- Transfer roasted cumin seeds on a working surface and grind it into a fine powder using a rolling pin. Your roasted Jeera Powder is ready.
- Store it in an airtight container and keep it at room temperature.
- You can store and use this powder for a couple of months.
If you cook this dish, be sure to tag your photo with this hashtag: #mggk
Happy Cooking and Keep Sharing! 🙂
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in March 2017 and has been updated for comprehensiveness and freshness.