Bhel Puri is a very popular street food from Mumbai, India. This easy to make, slightly sweet, spicy & sour-tasting chaat snack is made using puffed rice, onions, tomatoes, chutneys, spice powders, and sev.
This bhel puri recipe has all the tips and variations you’ll ever need to make your best street-style Bhel Puri at home. Make your perfect bhel puri by following the step-by-step video guide on this page.
This light refreshing Indian snack food comes together in minutes.
Bhel puri is one of the most sold snacks on the Mumbai beaches, such as Chowpati and Juhu. This low calorie, delicious and flavor packed snack is a treat to the taste buds and is loved by everyone. This chaat is often served as a tangy and crunchy teatime snack.
Bhel Puri is a snack that has crispy puffed rice, papdi, sev, peanuts, and crunchy veggies. It is melded perfectly with the sweet, sour, and spicy flavorings from chutneys and spice powders. It’s hard to resist not to smell and fill your mouth with the spoonful of this colorful looking snack.
What is Bhel Puri?
Bhel puri is a famous delicious Indian street food made with puffed rice, peanuts, papdi, sev, veggies, coriander leaves, chutneys, and powdered spices.
Bhel Puri is one of the most loved chaats served throughout India. It is so addictive and is loved by all age groups for its sweet and tangy taste and crunchy texture.
The base ingredients in Bhel puri is the same all over India; just the preparation and some ingredients may vary in different regions.
There are also two similar snacks made with puffed rice. These are Jhaalmuri and Churumuri, and both are popular in the Bengal region.
This Bhel Puri:
✓ is tasty, crunchy and full of exotic flavors.
✓ is filler, fuss-free, quick and easy to make.
✓ can be adjusted according to your taste buds.
✓ can also be made into dry bhel puri.
✓ can also be made without chutneys.
What is Chaat?
How to serve Bhel Puri?
Bhel puri is a quick & easy snack that can be eaten with just a spoon or scooped onto a papdi (crisp fried dough wafers or flatbread). They are also served in paper cones at many roadside stalls.
You serve it with papdis or eat as it is, the choice is up to you. You can also scoop bhel puri onto chips. They taste delicious either way.
When to make Bhel Puri?
You can make bhel puri any time you want to devour something flavour-bursting, light, yet satisfying.
You can make it when you feel like eating something light for dinner.
You can make it for an evening snack along with your milk tea.
Or simply make it when your appetite has reduced for some reasons and you just want to arouse your taste buds again with some delicious exotic flavors. The tempting crunch and feel of this Bhel Puri Chaat would surely awaken your taste glands with the burst of textures, versatile flavors, and bright colors.
How to make Bhel Puri Step By Step?
To make it, all you need to know is how to mix ingredients, and I think everyone knows that. So making bhelpuri is child’s play, you can say. :)
Making Bhel puri is simple and easy if you have chutneys and chopped veggies ready. All you need to do it mix all onions, tomatoes, green chilies, coriander leaves chutneys, and spices.
Then add all the dry ingredients such as puffed rice, peanuts, broken papdis, sevs, and give it a toss.
Transfer bhel to a serving bowl. Top with some nylon sev, some peanuts and coriander leaves. Done. Making Bhel puri is that simple.
Serve bhel puri immediately, or it will get soggy.
What ingredients are used in Bhel Puri?
A basic bhel puri can be made with some basic and simple ingredients such as puffed rice, peanuts, papdi, and sev (crispy gram flour noodles), which are easily available at Indian markets.
These ingredients are:
- Puffed rice (murmura)
- Boiled potatoes
- Roasted or fried peanuts
- Papdi (crispy fried wafers)
- Green chilies
- Coriander or cilantro leaves
- Red chili powder
- Chaat masala
- Lemon juice
- Chutneys ( and mint-coriander or )
Chutneys play an important role in wet bhel puri recipe because they elevate the taste of this chaat by adding sweet, sour, and spicy flavors.
Generally, green chutney and coriander chutney is added to this bhel puri. Red spicy chutney is also used in some recipes, but that is completely optional.
What are the different versions of Bhel Puri?
There are 2 types of bhel puri: Dry or Sukha Bhel and Wet Bhel.
How to make Dry Bhel Puri?
Making Dry Bhel is super easy. To make a Sukha Bhel or dry version of Bhel Puri, follow the same recipe and skip adding any chutneys in the recipe. Dry Bhel is ready.
How to make wet bhel Puri without chutneys?
If you want to enjoy bhelpuri but you don’t have chutneys ready and you can’t wait, then you can make this recipe without the chutneys.
There is a tomato ketchup version which tastes outstandingly good and a quick and fail-safe solution for a bhel craving.
For making this quick bhel without chutneys, simply replace the chutneys with simple tomato ketchup or a chili tomato ketchup and follow the rest of the recipe. This would still taste so scrumptious. You can also add some cornflakes for a healthy crunch in your bhelpuri.
How to make bhel puri for a gathering?
Bhel puri for a gathering is a great snack option because it is easy and tastes so good.
If you are planning to serve bhel puri to guests in a party or a get-together, them make sure you mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately. Just mix them right before serving. This way bhel puri would remain crunchy, and this step would also prevent bhel puri from getting soggy.
Tips and variations to make your best bhel puri:
- Make sure to serve the bhel puri immediately, because it tends to get soggy due to wet ingredients like chutneys and tomatoes. Soggy bhelpuri doesn’t taste good. So be quick when serving bhelpuri.
- For making bhel puri you can use homemade papdi or store-bought papdi. Both taste good here.
- Papdis (crispy fried poori) used for bhel puri can be deep-fried or baked. They won’t make much difference in this recipe, so the choice is up to you. I make bhel puri with both deep-fried or baked papdis. They both make delicious bhel puri and add the perfect crunch to the bhel.
- Some people also like to add red spicy chutney to the bhel. So if you wish, you can also add some red spicy chutney to the bhelpuri. If you want to add red chutney to bhel puri, then check out this recipe. If you are planning to add red spicy chutney then don’t add red chili powder, otherwise the bhel puri would turn too hot.
- Some people prefer dry bhel puri without chutneys, so just omit the chutneys to make dry bhel puri.
- You can serve bhel puri with papdis or serve it just like that.
- Adding boiled potatoes is completely optional. So if you don’t like potatoes, you can skip it.
- For green chutney, you can either use mint coriander chutney or only coriander chutney.
- Keep all the ingredients handy before you start mixing and tossing ingredients. This makes the process easier.
- You can also add some veggies such as grated cooked beets, grated carrots, grated radish, or grated cucumber to make it rich in fiber.
- Some people also like to add sprouts to bhel puri. I personally don’t like to add sprouts in my bhel, so I don’t add it.
- I have added sev (crispy fried noodles) to this bhelpuri recipe. You can also add some mixed namkeen to it.
- You can also add some freshly chopped raw mangoes when they are in season. Make sure you don’t add too much raw mangoes or it will taste too tangy. So make sure to taste your bhelpuri before serving.
- You can adjust the amount of spices and chutneys according to your taste buds.
- Some people also dry roast murmura to add a little more crunch. I generally use fresh murmura packets which are crisp so I don’t dry roast murmuras.
- If the puffed rice (murmura) is not crispy then dry roast them until crisp. Let them cool completely and then use them in the bhel puri recipe.
- Do not add too much chutneys at once. Start by adding little amounts and then increase the amount if needed.
- The consistency of chutneys should not be runny, or else the bhel puri would turn soggy.
- You can also swap lemon juice with dry mango powder.
- You can also make by replacing puffed rice with rice krispie.