The Sunshine your way
I am bringing you all the sunshine today with this Spring inspired Indian Style Black Chickpeas (Kala Chana) Sprouts Chaat.
Nature frolicked this week:
Nature is playing phenomenal games in this part of the world where I live. In a single day, we are witnessing 3-4 snowfalls, 4-5 rains, really cold and dark scenes, and lots of bright sunshine in between. And the sequence of all these events is pretty random. For the past couple of days, in the morning the day starts with the snowfall and later around at 9:00 am, the sun finally decides to show up and brings the bright sunshine. And then after some time, again it starts to rain and once more some dazzling sun blesses us, and then the next time, an amazingly thick-flaked snowfall. Sounds so magical. Looks so too 🙂
This light and bright chaat on your way:
Amid these random weather games, I wanted to have some real brightness around me. And the bright shades of this chaat made me think like it’s really spring. This chaat surely made my day shiny and I am sure it would do the same for you.
My plans for the coming long weekend:
Weather prediction says it’s gonna be like this throughout the coming weekend. So I don’t know if I would be doing something fun during this long weekend due to May Labour Day. Yes, 1st of May is ‘Labor Day’ here and I am especially very excited for this coming 3-day long weekend. I don’t know about you guys if your weekend would be chilly like mine or not, but this perfectly healthy, delicious and nutritious chaat would surely make your day. Making this chaat is certainly on my to-do list during this weekend.
Okay, now we need to talk about this Chaat. No frying or sautéeing needed for this chana sprouts chaat. So this is a good alternative for calorie conscious people.
This chaat is so full of healthy goodness:
Black chickpeas aka Kala Chana has sufficient amount of protein, and iron. Many people like to eat black chickpeas sprouts as a post-exercise snack. But if you ask me, I like mine along with some veggies, cereals, berries, spices, sweet, spicy and tangy chutneys. So, as a result, I get this healthy and delish sprouts chaat. It is super easy to make and it can easily be served as breakfast, brunch or a snack. You can also eat this spicy sprouted chana mixture as a crunchy snack, even without the toppings. My folks prefer to eat it as brunch.
Appetizing and savior:
This Kala Chana sprouts chaat is overflowing with the combo of deliciousness and good health. In this Chaat, you will get appetizingly delish steamed sprouts along with some corn flakes, onions, tomatoes, strawberries, chutneys which are topped with chilled yogurt, and some more chutneys with flavorful spices.
This recipe would come as a savior for the kids who don’t eat sprouts alone. This energy boosting chaat is an interesting way to include some good and nutritious food to kids diet. If the sprouts are steamed and chutneys are made beforehand, then it will only take a few minutes. Seriously, this quick, easy snack can be tossed within 2 mins.
So let’s learn to make it in the shortest time possible.
Watch Kala Chana Sprouts Chaat | Black Chickpeas Chaat recipe video below (please wait for a couple of seconds for loading).
- Sprouted Kala chana (Black Chickpeas) - 2 cup
- Corn flakes - ¾ cup
- red onion, chopped - ½ cup
- tomato, chopped - ½ cup
- chaat masala powder - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- roasted cumin powder - 1 tbsp
- tamarind chutney - 4 tbsp (or more if needed)
- Green coriander chutney - 4 tbsp (or more if needed)
- Green chilies, chopped - 2 optional (My green chutney was really hot, so I didn't add any green chilies)
- Strawberries, roughly chopped - ¼ cup
- Coriander leaves, chopped - 2 tbsp
- Corn flakes - 2-3 tbsp
- Few coriander leaves for garnishing
- Chaat masala for sprinkle
- Red chili powder for sprinkle
- Yogurt - ¼ cup (use vegan yogurt for VEGAN version)
- tamarind chutney - 2 tbsp
- Green coriander chutney - 2 tbsp
- Onions, chopped - 2 tbsp
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced - 6-7 (You can also use regular tomatoes)
- Steam or boil black chickpeas sprouts till they are almost cooked. Don't overcook them — we want their crunchy texture.
- If steaming, then let the sprouts cool completely. If boiling, then strain the cooked sprouts and let them cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl add sprouted chickpeas, tomatoes, onions, strawberries, coriander, corn flakes, chaat masala powder, roasted cumin powder, tamarind chutney, green chutney and toss well to combine.
- Take out chaat in individual bowls.
- Drizzle with yogurt.
- Top with tamarind chutney, green chutney, some corn flakes, onions, tomatoes.
- Sprinkle red chili powder, chaat masala powder.
- Serve Sprouted Kala Chana Chaat immediately.
You may also like these recipes:
If you cook this dish, be sure to tag your photo with this hashtag: #mggk
Happy Cooking and Keep Sharing! 🙂