Rajasthani Besan Ke Cheele Ka Raita | Chickpea Pancake Raita. In this raita, chickpea flour pancakes are dunked into chilled spiced yogurt base and later tempered with cumin seeds and asafetida.
Hope you all had a fun weekend and refueled yourselves in terms of enjoying good food. Just in case if you are facing Monday blues, I have a perfect solution to that — eat or drink something that you love most. Believe me, it works for sure. 🙂
Let me tell you about today’s dish:
The name of the dish is ‘Rajasthani Besan Ke Cheele Ka Raita’, aka ‘Chickpea Pancake Raita’. There are countless numbers of Raitas in India, and this ‘Besan Ke Cheele Ka Raita’ comes as a traditional recipe from my homeland (Rajasthan). Do you guys remember when I talked about another upcoming recipe made with ‘besan ka cheela’ here in this post? If you liked that ‘Besan ke Cheele ki Sabzi’ then you’ll surely love this raita.
This raita makes a lovely meal when paierd with khoba roti, onion tomato raita and Besan Mirchi Ke Tipore.
What is Raita?
I am sure many of you must be aware of the word ‘raita’. Raita is one of the most popular yogurt based side dishes. The base for raita is always natural yogurt. Raitas are famous in every part of India. And the good thing about raitas are they are so good for your digestive system. It’s because it has some natural spices which help the enzymes digest the food in the best way possible.
What is Besan Ke Cheele Ka Raita?
It is another Rajasthani super delight, which is made with ’Besan Ka Cheela (Chickpea Pancake Raita). In this raita, chickpea flour pancakes are dunked into chilled spiced yogurt base and later tempered with cumin seeds and asafetida.
Refreshing and satisfying:
This raita is creamy, cool and refreshing with a nice texture from chickpea pancake. This raita dish is flavored mildly with chaat masala, cumin powder, salt, and green coriander. The addition of the cumin powder releases a nice fragrance into this raita.
Making this Besan Ke Cheele Ka Raita is easy and quick. This cool and tasty Besan Ke Cheele Ka Raita goes well with Biryani, pulao, stuffed paratha, and even with chapati. Yes, you can have it with chapati and call it a full-meal. This raita is ideal for those regular lunches and dinners or get-togethers. This could also surely make a perfect spring-tastic side dish!
Make it a meal:
This pancake raita is beyond delicious, and believe it or not, it can be made into a meal of itself — because this is quite satisfying. Today I am sharing the most authentic way to prepare this raita. So I didn’t add any veggies to this. But if you wish you can also add some chopped onions and tomatoes, I like it that way too.
Once ‘cheelas’ are ready, you can make it in just a few minutes. Let’s learn to make this quick and delightful Raita!
Besan Ke Cheele Ka Raita - Chickpea Pancake Yogurt (Step-by-step photo instructions)
How to Make Cheela Batter:
- Add gram flour, asafetida, cumin seeds, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, chopped coriander, and oil to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk it well. Add enough to make a smooth, lump-free and thick batter as shown in the video above.
How to Make Besan Ka Cheela/Chila:
- Heat a nonstick pan and brush it with oil.
- Turn the heat to medium and pour a ladle full of batter on the pan.
- Spread it evenly with the back of a ladle to make a thin pancake of approx 8-9 inch diameter.
- Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or cook till the cheela turns golden brown in color on one side.
- Flip it over and drizzle some oil around the cheela.
- Cook on medium heat for another minute or till cheela turns golden in color on the other side.
- Transfer it to a plate and repeat the same with the remaining batter.
- Keep them aside to let them cool.
- Using a scissors, cut cheelas into desired shapes. Set them side.
- In a large mixing bowl add yogurt, water, salt, chaat masala, cumin powder, coriander and whisk well.
- Add the cheela pieces to the yogurt and stir well.
- Refrigerate cheele ka raita for 30 minutes.
How to Make Tempering/Tadka for Raita:
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a tadka pan.
- Add cumin seeds, asafetida and sauté for few seconds. Once the seeds start to crackle turn off the heat. Once the seeds start to crackle turn off the heat.
- Transfer the cheela raita into a serving bowl, and pour this tempering over the yogurt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve chilled.