Restaurant Style Kaju Curry - Cashew Curry - Kaju Masala
Kaju Curry or Cashew Curry is a rich, and creamy curry made with roasted cashews and creamy onion toamto gravy. Learn to make best kaju curry with video.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/restaurant-style-shahi-kaju-curry-cashew-curry-video-recipe/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 25 minutes
Total Time = 35 minutes
Category = Side
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4
Nutrition Info = 190 calories
Serving Size = 1 Serving
» For Roasting Cashews:
- Cashew nuts / kaju - 1 cup
- Ghee or oil - 1 tablespoon
» For Gravy:
- Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Bay leaf / tej patta - 1
- Cloves / laung - 4
- Cinnamon stick / dalchini - 1 inch
- Dried red chili / sukhi lal mirch - 1
- Star anise / chakra phool - 1
- Black cardamom / moti elaichi - 1
- Peppercorns / kali mirch - 4
- Boiled onion paste - 1/2 cup
- Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tablespoons
- Freshly pureed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Ginger chopped roughly - 1/2 inch
- Green chilies chopped roughly - 2 small
- Kitchen king masala - 1 tablespoon
- Red chili powder / lal mirch powder - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder / haldi powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder / dhania powder - 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground cashew - 4 tablespoons
- Water - 1/2 cup or more if required
- Salt to taste
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Ghee - 1 teaspoon
- Crushed kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) - 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Cashew cream or fresh cream - ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon for garnish (you can also use fresh milk cram aka malai)
- Cilantro / coriander leaves, chopped - 1 tablespoon
» Roasting Cashews:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil in a pan.
- Add cashews and roast them on medium heat till they are golden brown in color. Stir continuously till it becomes nice golden brown.
- Once done, drain and transfer them to a bowl. Keep them aside.
» How To Make Shahi Kaju Curry:
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee to the same pan.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon stick, dried red chili, star anise, black cardamom, peppercorns, ginger garlic paste, and sauté sauté for a minute.
- After that, add onion paste and stir well.
- Saute until onion paste is golden in color. This would take about 6-7 minutes.
- Once the onions are cooked, add tomato puree and Stir well.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now, add red chili powder, kitchen king masala, coriander powder, turmeric powder and ground cashews, and stir well. Let them cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and stir well until combined. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in Kasuri methi, salt, sugar, garam masala powder, roasted cashews, and mix well.
- Add more water 1/4 needed, cook covered again for 5 minutes.
- Now, add cashew cream or milk cream and mix everything well.
- Cook for another minute and remove from heat. Add ghee and stir well.
- Transfer kaju curry to a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves, cream, and cashews.
- Serve hot with paneer naan or paratha.
- To get the restaurant-style taste, I added kitchen king masala to the sauce. Yes, this masala creates an enormous difference. However, if you don?t have kitchen king masala then simply add the same amount of sabji masala or just omit it.
- Adding a little sugar balances the spicy and tangy flavors of this curry. If you don?t want it sweeter, then avoid adding any sugar. You can also add healthy sugar alternatives such as honey or maple syrup.
- Cashews - I used whole cashews for this recipe, but you can also use broken cashews.
- If you want to make this curry hot, increase the number of green chilies. Or if you want it less hot then swap red chili powder with the Kashmiri red chili powder.