Learn to Make Vegetable Biryani Recipe | Restaurant Style Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani Recipe with step by step video tutorial. For this Hyderabadi version of veg dum biryani, we marinate veggies in spicy yogurt then we cook them with onions and tomatoes to make a nice gravy. Then we simply layer rice with this gravy and slow cook it for about 15-20 minutes to get that perfect marinated infused flavor.
Hello, you lovely people!
How was your Easter? Mine went so well. Spent some quality time with family after a long time, and obviously had pretty much festive and delish food.
This year we had a small get together at home. And no to mention that my girlfriends and I cooked so many good things for Easter dinner. These droolicious preparations for this year’s Easter dinner were
- Hyderabadi Egg Biryani
- Lassi Egg Cups,
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Fruit Cream Rice Kheer
- Strawberry Cheesecake
- Egg Curry
- Restaurant Style Indian Garlic Naan
- Restaurant Style Paneer Do Pyaza
- Greek Style Chickpea Feta Salad
- Red Grapes Onion Cucumber Raita
We actually flooded the Easter dinner table. Our male guests were really overwhelmed and so were we. 😀
In my last post about Hyderabadi Egg Biryani, I stated that Hyderabad is famous for Biryani — it’s nirvana for all rice and biryani admirers. In Hyderabad, they have so many classes of Biryanis.
Related: Vegetable Teriyaki Noodles
So after sharing one of my favorite dishes today — Hyderabadi egg biryani, I have another remarkable elegance from Hyderabadi/Deccani Cuisine. The dish is Restaurant Style Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani.
What is Veg Biryani?
This Hyderabadi Veg Biryani is another very famous legendary and authentic gratifying royal dishes of Deccani Cuisine. It is believed that the origin of biryani is from Hyderabad State. It is also believed that in ancient times all types Biryanis were introduced by Mughals and Nawabs in India.
Related: Spinach Kofta Biryani
In the beginning, Biryanis were prepared with meat only, but now-a-days it is also cooked with vegetables. The Biryani cooked with vegetables in Hyderabadi style is known as ‘Hyderabadi Veg Biryani’. The ‘dum cooking’ technique is used for this biryani such as egg dum biryani. Thus, it is known as ‘Hyderabadi Veg Biryani’.
Traditionally, biryani is made in a large clay pot also know as ‘handi’. dum cooking is a technique where you slow cook dish in a steam. In this method, pot is sealed with wheat flour dough first and then cooked slowly. This way the dish gets cooked in its own steam and in its own juices on a slow heat, which infuses the flavors and aroma of its own herbs and spices in the food.
Biryani ( also known as Biriyani or Biriani ) is one of the most royals and luxurious rice-based dishes of Indian cuisine. This dish is usually slow cooked.
As I have already mentioned earlier my Vegetable Tahiri post that biryani is a time taking process. A good biryani needs time, patience, care and a tempering of love. 🙂
How do you make Vegetable Biryani?
For this Vegetable Biryani recipe, all the veggies are first marinated for 30 minutes. If you want you can marinate veggies for a longer time. Later they are cooked with onions and tomatoes. They are finally layered with cooked basmati rice and cooked for about 15-20 minutes.
However, if you want to speed up this cooking process, then you can surely opt for pressure cooking. For this you’ll have to cook marinated veggies in a pressure cooker. After that, rice is added and pressure cooked until cooked through. I will soon share the pressure cooked veg biryani recipe.
Related: Carrot Zucchini Pilaf
Add-ons for taste:
You can add any of your personally preferred vegetables for making this veg dum biryani. I have only added cashews to this biriyani, you can also add almonds and raisins if you like.
How to serve vegetable Biryani?
Identical to all other biryanis, this veg dum biryani also goes well with a simple raita and papad. Restaurant Style Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani is a spicy and filler dish on its own, so you really don’t need any sides for biryani.
The fragrant medley of masalas, veggies, and rice along with its distinctive taste makes this briyani desirable and lip-smacking good. In this veg biryani, the delicate flavors of the aromatic garam masala, onions, tomatoes and yogurt are so well blended with the vegetables and rice. Each spoonful of this light textured, spicy and aromatic rice biryani is a delight.
Some expert tips for perfect long grained Vegetable Biryani Recipe:
1. Always use top-quality long grain basmati rice for making any biryani, this makes fluffy and fragrant Biryani. Long Basmati grains don’t stick to each other and cook evenly. Also, fluffiness of rice is very important for any biryani recipe, each and every grain should be separate and perfectly cooked. biryani doesn’t taste good when rice grains stick together.
2. To check if rice is perfect for biryani and don’t stick together, toss cooked rice lightly with a spatula and spread them on a plate. If they stick, biryani won’t come out good.
3. Always rinse rice 2-3 times before soaking it. If you wash rice after soaking it, this would take away all the aroma. Soaking the rice for 30 minutes prior to cooking is important. 30 minutes soaking time softens the grains and this 30 minutes would ensure that the rice won’t stick.
4. The rice requires some cooking before the biryani is assembled. But never overcook or undercook the rice for any biryani recipe. Under-cooking and or overcooking rice are the two most common mistakes that can fail a biryani. As for the rice, you never cook it completely, it should be par-boiled (about 70 percent) before assembling for dum cooking. This avoids overcooking and prevents the final dish from becoming mushy.
5. Boil the rice with whole spices, this infusion of raw spices would make rice aromatic.
6. Cook the rice and the gravy separately.
7. Use of saffron strands (Kesar) is recommended for a nice color and fragrance.
8. At the time of assembling the biryani, make sure you top every layer of rice with saffron strands soaked in warm milk, this would give it a vibrant color and aromatic taste.
9. A touch of fried onions is also recommended. You can use homemade sweet and caramelized fried onions or the store-bought one.
10. You can also garnish briyani with slivered almonds or cashews.
11. A combination of fresh mint and coriander leaves on every layer of rice is advisable.
Related: Roasted Cauliflower Pilaf
Let’s now make Restaurant Style Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani Recipe
Watch Veg Biryani Recipe | Restaurant Style Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani Recipe below (please wait for a couple of seconds for loading).
For more delicious rice recipes, you should definitely check the following: