Restaurant Style Vegetable Biryani Recipe
Learn to Make Vegetable Biryani or Dum Biryani Recipe with step by step video tutorial. This is made with marinated vegetable curry and steamed rice.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/veg-biryani-recipe-restaurant-style-hyderabadi-veg-dum-biryani-recipe/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 40 minutes
Total Time = 50 minutes
Category = Main
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4-5
Nutrition Info = 315 calories
Serving Size = 1 serving
» For Rice:
- 1.5 cup long grain basmati rice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee/oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom
» For Marination:
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt / dahi
- 2 tablespoon biryani masala
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut diagonally
- 1 cup corn kernels, green peas, bell pepper(capsicum) (you can add any other veggies of your choice)
» For Veggies Gravy:
- 2 tablespoon ghee/ butter
- 1 star anise
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-6 green cardamom
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoon cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 1.5 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 3/4 cup tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp fried onions
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves, roughly chopped
» For Saffron Milk:
- 8 tablespoon warm milk
- 20 saffron strands
» For Assembling:
- 2 tablespoons fried onions
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves, roughly chopped
» For Making Saffron Milk:
- Soak 20 saffron strands 1/4 cup warm milk for 30 minutes. Keep it aside.
» For Cooking Rice:
- Wash and soak rice for about 30 minutes. In a large pot, add water, rice, oil, salt, star anise, cardamom, and cinnamon stick.
- Let it cook until rice is 70% cooked. Drain and keep it aside.
» For Marination:
- In a mixing bowl, mix together 1/2 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons biryani masala, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon red chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon mint leaves, and 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, and salt.
- Mix everything well to combine.
- Now add diced potatoes, carrots, green peas, corn kernels, bell pepper.
- Mix everything well to combine. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
» For Making Veggies Gravy:
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a non-stick pan.
- Add star anise, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds and sauté the whole spices for few seconds or until fragrant.
- Add chopped cashews and sauté until they are golden in color.
- Add sliced onions and sauté for 3 minutes or until they are light golden in color.
- Now add 1.5 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste and sauté over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Now add 1 cup sliced tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy.
- Add marinated veggies, and cook covered on medium-low heat until the veggies are cooked and raw smell is gone.
- Add 1/8 cup of water if needed. Mix well and let it cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder, 1 tablespoon fried onions.
- Mix well and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
» For Assembling Biryani:
- Layer 1: Take 1/2 of the cooked veggies masala and spread it in a pot or handi to form layer 1.
- Layer 2: Now take 1/2 of the cooked rice and spread over rice to form layer 2. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons of saffron milk over it. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon mint leaves, 1 teaspoon coriander leaves, and 1 tablespoon fried onions over it.
- Layer 3: Take rest of the of cooked veggies and spread it over gravy to form layer 3. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons of saffron milk over it. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon mint leaves, 1 teaspoon coriander leaves over it.
- Layer 4: Take the rest of the cooked rice and spread it well to form layer 4. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons of saffron milk over layer 4. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon mint leaves, 1 teaspoon coriander leaves, and 1 tablespoon fried onions over it. (See how the layers are arranged in this)
» For Cooking Biryani:
- Seal the rice and gravy filled the pot with an aluminum foil and cover tightly with the lid.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a wide pan. Add more water, if it gets dried up while cooking.)
- Place the rice and gravy pot over it. Cook it on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes. Add more water, if it gets dried up.
- Turn off the heat. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Unwrap and serve biryani hot with a raita and chutney.
- Always use top-quality long grain basmati rice for making any biryani, this makes fluffy and fragrant Biryani. Long Basmati grains don?t stick to each other and cook evenly. Also, fluffiness of rice is very important for any biryani recipe, each and every grain should be separate and perfectly cooked. biryani doesn?t taste good when rice grains stick together.
- To check if rice is perfect for biryani and don?t stick together, toss cooked rice lightly with a spatula and spread them on a plate. If they stick, biryani won?t come out good.
- Always rinse rice 2-3 times before soaking it. If you wash rice after soaking it, this would take away all the aroma. Soaking the rice for 30 minutes prior to cooking is important. 30 minutes soaking time softens the grains and this 30 minutes would ensure that the rice won?t stick.