Cooking time: 60 minutes
What is Spinach Kofta Biryani?
Spinach Kofta Biryani is a highly seasoned dish which is layered with fragrant long-grained rice. They are prepared with tomato gravy, sautéed vegetables, and spinach koftas. Spinach Kofta Biryani is a perfect delicious one pot meal, and you can serve this heavenly recipe with any salad and raita of your choice.
This recipe is a follow-up to Spinach Kofta. See Spinach Kofta recipe here: http://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/spinach-kofta-curry-fried-spinach-dumplings-creamy-tomato-sauce-recipe/
Let’s learn to make Spinach Kofta Biryani in easy to understand quick steps.
Ingredients for the gravy layer:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup, tomato puree
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3⁄4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- salt to taste
Ingredients for rice layer:
- 2 cups basmati rice, boiled till almost cooked
Ingredients for vegetable layer:
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 potato, layered
- a pinch of salt
- 1⁄4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
Method for the gravy:
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf and cumin seeds. When cumin seeds start to splutter, add chopped onions, and saute till they become brown.
- Now add tomato puree, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder and chili powder, salt and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- After that add garam masala powder and cream. Cook for 2 more minutes. Gravy is ready. Keep aside.
Method for vegetable layer:
- Heat oil in a pan. Add sliced potato along with turmeric powder, and salt. Let them cook for 4 minutes.
- Now add the bell pepper, and sliced onions. Let them sauté for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and keep aside.
Method for Biryani:
- Pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F).
- Take an oven safe bowl, and grease it with oil.
- Take 1⁄4th of rice and spread to form layer 1.
- Now add half of the sautéed vegetables to form layer 2.
- Take other 1⁄4thof rice and spread to form layer 3.
- Add all of the gravy to form layer 4. Slice koftas in half and arrange on top of the layer 4.
- Spread remaining rice to form layer 5.
- Spread remaining sautéed vegetables to form layer 6.
- Cover the bowl with foil or lid. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and serve hot with any raita or plain yogurt. Enjoy!
Happy Cooking 🙂
Show us your love by commenting on this post, and share your thoughts.
Liked this post, then you will like this too.