Savory and spicy Masala French Toast is crammed with amazing flavors and exquisiteness. Here, bread slices are dunked in a mixture of onions, coriander, green chilies, eggs, milk, powdered spices and pan-fried with butter until golden brown.
About Masala French Toast
This Masala French Toast can also be served as an irresistible tea-time snack, an incredible brunch, or a filler late-night snack along with a hot cup of . It is fancy enough to serve as an appetizer or for parties and get-togethers.
This Masala French Toast is an Indian twist on classic French Toast. Here, eggs are mixed with onions, green chili cilantro, and aromatic Indian spice powders such as turmeric, chili, cumin, and garam masala. This spiced egg mixture gives an amazing taste to savory French Toast.
If you love Indian flavors, or if you love savory French toasts, then this Masala French toast recipe is definitely calling your name.
On this page I am sharing two ways of making Masala French Toast, one with the cheese filling and the other without cheese. Both of the recipes taste great!
Shower this recipe some love by making it once for your family, and it would surely return the favor by becoming a frequent visitor at your home!
Masala French Toast is a quick and easy-to-make filler breakfast recipe that is ready in under 5 minutes. All you need is whisking the egg with onions, green chili, cilantro, milk, and spices first, and then toasting it in the pan. That’s it!
The combination of bread, eggs, vegetables, and spices makes it so healthy, nutritious, delicious and ultimately satisfying breakfast.
Love egg recipes? Then you would also love to check out these recipes:
What is Masala French Toast?
It makes a delicious and filling breakfast for any busy morning, and yet it is sumptuous enough to be prepared as an indulgent weekend breakfast. Pair it with some , , or , or even with a healthy — this would fit so beautifully in any breakfast menu.
This Indian-style Masala French Toast is good enough to qualify as a light lunch or a weeknight dinner.
What are the features of Masala French Toast
This Masala French Toast:
✓ is fuss-free, quick, and easy to make
✓ tastes so delicious
✓ is ready in under 5 minutes
✓ can easily be customized
✓ can be served as a breakfast or brunch
✓ keeps you satiated for hours
✓ healthy, wholesome, and nutritious
✓ is made with simple pantry ingredients
✓ can be packed in a lunch box
✓ is filler and delicious
What are the ingredients used in Masala French Toast?
This Masala French Toast is made with a handful of ingredients that are easily accessible. Ingredients you will need are:
You can use whole grain, multigrain or sourdough bread slices. Just make sure the bread slices you are using are not fresh. Stale bread makes the best masala french toast.
You can use any of your favorite eggs.
I used cow milk. You can use any milk of your choice.
For this recipe, I used purple onions, but you can also use spring onions or shallots.
The chilies I have used were not hot, I only added green chili for the flavor. If you want hot chilies then feel free to add them.
I added red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, and turmeric powder. You can use any spices you like.
Salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Masala French Toast?
Masala French Toast is a quick and easy-to-make breakfast recipe that can be done in a matter of minutes. All you need to do is some chopping, whisking, and pan-frying!
This is how you can make this masala french toast recipe in 4 simple steps:
Step 1 - Whisking
Beat eggs with onions, green chili, cilantro, powdered spices of your choice, and milk.
Step 2 - Dipping
Dip bread slices in the egg mixture.
Step 3 - Frying
Pan fry with butter.
Step 4 - Serving
Slice and serve as it is or with some ketchup. This toast pairs so well with crepes.
For a full list of Masala French Toast recipe ingredients and step-by-step photo and video instructions, please see the recipe box on this page.
What is the best bread for making Masala French Toast?
For making Masala French Toast you can use white, multigrain, baguette, brioche, whole grain, or even sourdough bread. Any firm bread would make a nice Masala French Toast.
Love this masala french toast? Then you might also want to checkout these delicious sandwiches: mayonnaise sandwich, Bombay Vegetable Sandwich, Grilled Tomato Mozzarella Sandwich, Curried Egg Salad Sandwich, Grilled Cheese Spiced Potato Sandwich, and Peanut Butter and Veggie Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Pro tips, tricks, and variations to make the best Masala French Toast:
For pan-frying toasts, you can use a non-stick or cast iron pan.
Use a slightly old and firm bread for making Masala French Toast. If you are using fresh and soft bread, then use the chilled bread. This would absorb the egg mixture nicely and would retain its shape.
I have only added onions, cilantro, and green chili to this recipe, but you can also add chopped tomatoes, corn, chopped bell peppers, and mint leaves to the egg mixture.
Make sure to finely chop onions, green chilies, and cilantro. Veggies would easily stick to the bread when they are chopped into small pieces.
Always use a wide bowl for whisking egg mixture. That way you would be easily able to soak the bread slices.
I cut the slices after making french toast, but you can also cut the bread pieces before making the toast.
For a richer taste, sauté onions and green chilies in oil before adding them to the eggs.
Feel free to omit or add any spices of your choice.
Masala French Toast (Step-by-step photo instructions)
Make Egg mixture:
- Start with breaking eggs in a wide mixing bowl. Make sure the bowl is wide enough to fit the bread slice.
- Now add chopped onions, chopped green chili, coriander leaves, red chili powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Whisk briskly until eggs are light and fluffy.
- Add in the milk and beat again until everything is mixed properly. Keep it aside.
Make Masala French Toast:
- Add the 1 teaspoon butter or oil in a non-stick wide frying pan over and let it melt over medium heat.
- Take one bread slice, and dip it into the egg mixture by press it down to absorb the egg mixture. Once dipped, flip it and let it absorb the mixture from another side too.
- When the bread is dipped from both sides, remove it from the mixture and shake off the excess mixture. Once the butter starts bubbling, put the soaked bread on the pan. Spoon and spread about 1-2 onions from the egg mixture on the top.
- Add 1 teaspoon of butter on top of the bread and spread it lightly. Let it cook on medium heat for about a minute or until it is cooked and turns golden brown.
- Once cooked, flip them and let the other side also for 1 minute or until cooked properly.
- When the bread is cooked from both sides, remove it from the pan. Slice the toast diagonally and serve warm with a cup of hot coffee, ketchup, or green chutney.
Make Cheese Masala French Toast:
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a wide pan. Dip 2 bread slices into the batter and place them on the pan and top each bread with some onion egg mixture.
- Let them cook over medium heat until they become golden. Once cooked, flip both the bread slices.
- Place 1 cheese slice on top of 1 bread slice. Then cover it with the other slice.
- Cook the toast from both sides until it is cooked perfectly. Remove Cheese Masala French Toast from the pan.
- Cut it into desired pieces, and serve this satisfying with hot with some ketchup and masala chai.