Egg Bhurji or Anda Bhurji is a spicy, delectable, and flavourful Indian version of scrambled eggs where eggs are scrambled with onion, tomato, green chilies, ginger, and some aromatic spices. It’s ready in under 15 minutes.
Egg Bhurji has an accurate amount of flavor and spices that makes a gratifying meal for any time of the day when served along with some , bread slices, or . Bhurji Pav is a very famous street food combination.
Egg Bhurji is so popular across India that it can be found everywhere — be it street kiosks, restaurants, or roadside eateries (dhaba). And this Bhurji is loved by all. This is because it is super simple and easy to make, healthy, and tastes appetizing too.
Like many other Indian recipes, this Egg Bhurji also has many variants. Everyone has their own preferred version of making Egg Bhurji which might come from their favorite street stalls, restaurant, or the one they grew up eating in their home. The contrast lies in the different cooking techniques and spice powders used in the bhurji recipe.
This Egg Bhurji recipe is my favorite variation of Egg Bhurji which I obtained over the years. This street style version is my family’s absolute darling. It just tastes darn good.
My recipe uses minimal ingredients which are easily available in any kitchen, and that includes special masala powder called ‘Pav Bhaji Masala’ which is also used in . This spice powder is a must in all street style egg bhurji recipes.
Another good thing about Egg Bhurji is that it is so easy to make that you can make it anytime you are craving for scrambled eggs. This is even great for late-night meals.
Just prepare it once and you will get addicted to cooking it quite often. :)
What is Egg Bhurji?
Egg Bhurji is the spicy version of Indian style scrambled eggs that is also known as ‘Anda Bhurji’. Here Anda = Egg, and Bhruji = Scrambled. So this Anda Bhruji is an accurate hindi translation of scrambled eggs.
In this scrambled eggs version, eggs are cooked along with a spicy onion and tomato masala.
This is an easy and super quick recipe that makes a flavorful delicious meal for any day.
This Egg Bhurji is:
✔︎ quick, nourishing, and scrumptious.
✔︎ adored by all age groups.
✔︎ ready in under 15 minutes.
✔︎ perfect for the lunch box.
✔︎ versatile and can be eaten for all meals.
✔︎ perfect for late-night cravings.
How to serve Egg Bhurji?
Egg Bhurji is such a versatile recipe and you can have it for any meal of the day.
Here are serving suggestions for different meals.
Stuff egg bhurji between bread slices and toast. Egg Bhurji Sandwich is ready.
You can make this Egg Bhurji when:
- You are craving for spicy and flavorful eggs.
- You have no time to cook and you want something delicious and satisfying.
- You have no veggies in the refrigerator.
- You have nothing else to cook.
What are the ingredients of Egg Bhurji?
As I said earlier, this type of scrambled egg is made using minimal ingredients. The ingredients which I used in this recipe are:
- Coriander Leaves
- Garam Masala Powder
- Green Chilies
- Pav Bhaji Masala (A Secret Ingredient Which Street Vendors Add)
- Red Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Tomato Ketchup
- Turmeric Powder
How to make Egg Bhurji?
Here is how to make Egg Bhurji in simple 5 steps:
Step 1: Chop onion, tomatoes, ginger, and green chilies.
Step 2: **Whisk and season eggs.
Step 3: Make onion tomato masala by cooking onions, tomatoes, ginger, and green chilies with spices in the oil.
Step 4: Add ketchup and butter and mix well.
Step 5: Add eggs and stir vigorously until cooked. Done!
You can find the full recipe with detailed instructions in the recipe box on this page.
How to make Vegan Egg Bhurji?
To make this Bhurji vegan, replace the eggs with the 1.5 cups of crumbled tofu or with cooked soya granules. And replace butter with vegan butter.
How to make a curry version of Egg Bhurji?
Egg Bhurji is usually served dry. But if you want the curry version, then you can surely make it by adding some water at the end.
Once the bhurji is ready to add some water (about 1/2 cup) to it and let it boil for 2-3 minutes. Do not add too much water, or else it will turn watery. Also, add 2-3 tablespoons of fresh milk cream at the end. It gives a rich taste to the curry.
Important Cooking Tips and Variations to cook Egg Bhurji:
- Always add the butter to onion tomato masala right before adding the eggs. Adding butter at the end adds a super addictive buttery aftertaste.
- I like to add cilantro leaves right before serving. This is because it retains its color and essence and tastes much better this way. If you want, you can add coriander leaves at the end of the cooking process.
- Butter is highly recommended for this egg bhurji recipe. So do not skip the butter part.
- I cooked egg bhurji in oil and added butter at the end. If you want, you can also cook it entirely in butter.
- It is advised to whisk your eggs well before adding them to the masala. This gives you evenly cooked and beautifully masala coated bhurji.
- Lightly season your eggs while whisking. It escalates the taste of Egg Bhurji.
- If you are making south Indian Style Egg Bhurji, then you can also temper the oil with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and 4-5 curry leaves before adding onions.
- Like scrambled eggs, you can also add some milk to the beaten eggs. This way you’ll get fluffier bhurji.
- I usually add tomato ketchup to egg bhurji, because it adds a nice flavor. But this is completely optional, so you can skip it if you don’t want it.
- Remember to add a splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice right before serving. This magnifies the experience of eating Egg Bhurji.
- This is a hot version of Egg Bhurji and I added red chilies, red chili powder, pav bhaji masala, and garam masala powder. If you want it less hot then feel free to reduce the amount of masala powders. Or you can plainly omit red chili powder or green chilies.
- Pav Bhaji masala is added to Egg Bhurji recipes by all street vendors. So it is highly suggested to add this spice powder if you want street style taste. The addition of this masala powder takes the tastes of this Anda Bhurji to the next level.
- This is an authentic style bhurji recipe that only has onions, tomatoes, ginger, and green chili. If you want a veggie egg bhurji then you can also add other veggies like corn, peas, broccoli, bell peppers, peas, and mushrooms.
- To make ‘Tawa Bhurji’, you can also cook it on Tawa which is a flat frying pan.
- Make sure to keep stirring the eggs on medium-low heat until they get mixed with masala and get cooked perfectly. This will prevent them from sticking and burning, and also you will get evenly cooked eggs.
- The consistency of bhurji is totally up to you. If you want soft bhurji then cook eggs until they are just cooked. The eggs will keep cooking for some minutes in the pan.
- If you want slightly dry bhurji, then keep stirring and cooking until the eggs are perfectly cooked and granules are separated.
- Crunchy onions taste really good in this egg bhurji, so do not cook them until they are translucent.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO BELOW: Egg Bhurji
(Please wait for a couple of seconds for loading)
Direct Video link: https://www.youtube.com/embed/qaWsVTbiMOs