Chilli cheese toast is a delicious and popular snack or starter where a toast is prepared with chillies, garlic and cheese toppings. Made with only a few ingredients and it takes only 5 minutes to create at home.
This simple and easy to make chilli cheese toast recipe has tips and variations that will help you make your perfect chilli cheese toast every single time.
When melted cheese meets with garlicky chili flavors, you get this Indian street food — chilli cheese toast. Red chillies and chili flakes add the perfect heat to gooey melted mozzarella, and the buttery garlic flavor takes it to the next level. All these amazing flavors and textures make this double chilli, garlic, and cheesy snack more enticing.
You can make this mouth-watering cheese toast either using a skillet or in an oven. They turn out excellently crispy and delightful either way. In this step by step video recipe post, I have shown the methods of making cheese chilli toast on Tawa (griddle/skillet), and in the oven.
What is chilli cheese toast?
Chilli cheese toast is a quick snack dish that can be prepared in no time. You can also serve them as breakfast, evening snacks or even starters.
As the name suggests, chilli cheese toast is a toasted bread cooked with some cheese and chillies. This is an Indianized version of chilli cheese toast which is very popular amongst Indians. A good amount of garlic is added to this version of chili cheese toast, and it tastes a bit like cheesy garlic bread.
What are the ingredients you’ll need to make chilli cheese toast?
This easy bread toast recipe only requires a couple of ingredients.
- Bread slices
- Chilli flakes
- Chopped chillies
- Chopped or minced garlic
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parsley or coriander leaves
- Salted butter
- Black pepper powder (optional)
How To Make Chilli Cheese Toast?
Making chilli toast requires only 5 minutes of your time if you have all the ingredients ready.
This is how we make it in 3 simple steps:
**Step 1: Make garlic butter: **
Add salted butter, garlic, and chopped parsley or cilantro to a bowl. Mix everything well and keep it aside.
Step 2: Assemble:
Smear garlic butter on both sides of the bread slices. Top each slice with some freshly chopped chilies and fresh chopped garlic. Adding garlic is optional here. Then top each bread slice with a generous amount of cheese. Season with some salt and pepper as required. (I personally don’t add any salt to this toast). Sprinkle with chilli flakes.
**Step 3A: Bake in the oven: **
Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) for 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, and arrange prepared bread slices on it. Place the baking tray on the top shelf, and broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese melts and have golden spots on top. Make sure to keep an eye on toast while they are getting baked.
Alternatively, you can bake them in the middle rack for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted and bread slices are crisp and toasted.
Step 3B: Cook in a griddle (pan):
To make these delicious chilli cheese toast on a skillet, pre-heat the skillet over low heat. Then just place the prepared bread slices on preheated skillet. Cover with the lid and cook until cheese is melted and bottom is crispy. Follow the written recipe on this page for more details.
If you love this recipe, then here are some other enticing toast recipes for you:
How to make chilli cheese toast for kids?
To make them kid-friendly, avoid using chillies. Many kids (including my own) don’t eat chillies, but they love cheesy toasts. If your kids also don’t eat chillies, then try swapping hot chillies with capsicum. They would love these toasts. Also, skip the chili flakes toppings when making this toast for kids.
The cheesy garlic-bread like taste will attract kids and make them eat this cheese toast with great pleasure.
Can I make this chilli cheese toast into a sandwich?
Yes, you can definitely make this toast in a chilli cheese sandwich. To make a chilli cheese sandwich, simply stuff the butter smeared bread slice with cheese, chopped chilli, and garlic. Sprinkle with some chilli flakes and black pepper powder. Cover with another butter smeared bread and grill in a grilling pan or toast in a toaster. Slice and serve.
Can I make chilli cheese toast without an oven?
Yes, it is possible to make chilli cheese toast without an oven. If you don’t have an oven then you can easily make this toast in a pan or a tawa. The toast cooked on tawa would taste the same, but it would just have a different appearance as the toast baked in an oven will have some golden spots but the toast cooked in a pan won’t have those golden spots.
In this recipe, I have given both the cooking methods, the oven and pan method of cooking. You can check out the video recipe on this page for visual instructions. For elaborate instructions, you can also print out the full written recipe shared on this page.
When to make chilli cheese toast?
This drool-worthy, quick and easy snack is best for the parties, get-togethers, or a weekend indulgence. Make them for a high tea, or a family brunch — these cheese and chilli flavored toasts will be adored by everyone. You can even pack them for lunch along with some salad.
How to Serve chilli cheese toast?
You can serve chilli cheese toast with some tomato ketchup or any chutney or sauce of your choice. If serving as a tea time snack then pair them with a cup of hot chai.
When serving them as a starter for your Italian meal, then pair these toasts with any of your favorite red wine. Any red wines such as pinot noir, chardonnay, sauvignon blanc go well with these toasts.
Tips and variations to make your best chilli Cheese Toast at home:
- To make veg chilli cheese toast you can add some vegetables to these toasts, such as finely chopped bell peppers (capsicum), or sliced mushrooms, corn kernels, sliced onions, sliced tomatoes, or sliced olives, etc.
- I add a good amount of garlic in my chilli cheese toast, but if you don’t like too much garlic flavor then you can reduce the amount of garlic to suit your taste buds.
- I have used grated mozzarella cheese here, but you can also use fresh mozzarella cheese. You can also replace mozzarella with some other melting cheese like cheddar, gouda, parmesan, or edam. You can also go for a mix of your favorite cheese.
- I have used white sandwich bread here, but you can use any of your favorite loaf bread slices to make this toast. If you are planning to make these toasts often, then I would suggest to healthify this recipe by swapping white sandwich bread with rye loaf, multi-grain bread, or whole-grain bread slices for making this toast.
- I have used salted butter for this recipe, but you can also use margarine for a lighter version.
- For a healthy and tasty variation, you can also use garlic olive oil instead of garlic butter. I love toasting my bread slices with garlic olive oil. To make garlic olive oil, simply add minced garlic cloves to extra virgin olive oil and keep it covered for 30 minutes. Your garlic olive oil is ready to use.
- You can also sprinkle some oregano powder on toppings.
- I have added finely chopped fresh red chillies in this recipe. You can also use green chillies. If you want them less hot, then you can deseed the chillies.
- I do not add any additional salt to this toast because the cheese and salted butter has a wonderful saltiness themselves. However, if you want you can add some salt to your taste.
- I have added chopped parsley to softened butter, but you can also add chopped coriander leaves.