Dalgona Coffee or whipped coffee is a simple 3-ingredient cold latte drink that is generously topped with a smooth, velvety, and creamy whipped coffee.
Whipped coffee is a delicious way to start any day. This fluffy and incredibly delicious coffee takes only 5-6 minutes and can be made into cold or hot.
This 6 minute frothy coffee is made using instant coffee powder, sugar, water, and milk. So just 3 simple ingredients and 6 minutes of your time is all you need to enjoy this divine frothy coffee.
You may call it 4 ingredients coffee, but I don’t consider water as an ingredient, so it is 3 ingredients coffee.
This creamy whipped Dalgona Coffee has recently earned its popularity on social media app TikTok. Dalgona coffee is a South Korean coffee that certainly has taken the internet by storm.
Now due to this global crisis when there is a lockdown in many countries and people are being home quarantined, we all are craving for a favorite coffee from the coffee shops. Isn’t it? And this coffee drink is a perfect solution to that. It is so good and is worth sharing with my readers. So here we go.
Since everyone is trying this latest Dalgona coffee trend, and I am a diehard coffee lover, I had to give it a try. Coffee makes everything better for its lovers. All coffee lovers would agree with me.
So yes, I also tried it and loved it to the core. The cold milk and the bittersweet coffee mixture are a marriage made in heaven. Not only it looks so elegant, but it tastes fabulous that you will forget about your fancy coffee from the cafés.
This is the cold version of hot whipped cafe latte I have been making for years. In India, we call it ‘Beaten Coffee’. And I am totally impressed with the outcome. No wonder this exquisitely pleasing DIY South Korean coffee has gained so much popularity in such a short span of time.
This Dalgona Coffee:
✓ is super delicious, easy, and quick.
✓ is made without a coffee machine.
✓ is made using simple ingredients that you have.
✓ has a perfect combination of sweetness and bitterness.
✓ is a delight for coffee lovers.
✓ is made with instant coffee powder.
✓ is simple enough that even a child can make it.
✓ can easily be made vegan.
What is Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona Coffee or Whipped cold cafe latte is a frothy 3 ingredients coffee made using instant coffee powder, sugar, water, and cold milk. It is ready in under 6 minutes.
Whipped coffee in Korea is known as Dalgona coffee because the coffee foam in this recipe has the sweet and bitter taste and golden color similar to Dalgona (Korean honeycomb candy).
How to make Dalgona Coffee?
Here is how to make Dalgona coffee recipe.
To make ‘whipped coffee mixture' for Dalgona Coffee recipe you just need 3 ingredients — instant coffee powder, sugar, and hot water. That’s it. Add these ingredients to a mixing bowl and whip it using a hand whisk, milk frother, coffee whipper or an electric mixer.
The idea is to whip the instant coffee powder along with the same amount of sugar and hot water until it is creamy, light, and frothy.
Then this whipped coffee mixture is topped on a glass of chilled milk. That’s it. Just make sure to mix the coffee topping with the chilled milk before sipping this droolicious Dalgona coffee drink.
This is a perfect drink for folks who are missing going out and drinking their favorite cuppa. It takes only a few minutes. Make this coffee at home for yourself and for the loved ones, and I promise that no one will miss the café style coffee because it tastes so good and looks awesome too. A glass of Dalgona coffee would surely put a smile on your faces.
Can I make hot Dalgona Coffee instead of cold?
Yes, certainly you can. The hot version of this coffee tastes very good. It is a delight for hot coffee admirers. The recipe for hot dalgona coffee is the same. Just replace chilled milk with hot milk and top it with whipped coffee. That’s it.
What are the ingredients used in Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona coffee uses 3 ingredients. And they are:
- Instant coffee powder
- Granulated sugar
- Milk + hot water
What are other topping options for Dalgona Coffee?
You can top Dalgona Coffee with any of these below:
- Crushed Oreo cookies.
- Cocoa powder
- Drinking hot chocolate powder
- Crushed caramel candy
- Coffee powder
- Cinnamon powder
What is the right ratio of coffee, sugar, and water for this recipe?
For the perfect Dalgona coffee, its 3 ingredients, namely, sugar, coffee, and water are mixed in 1:1:1 ratio. It works every time.
What type of sugar is best for making whipped coffee?
You can use any sugar for making whipped coffee. You can use crystal, powdered, or granulated sugar. I personally like granulated sugar.
You can use any of the below:
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Raw cane sugar
Can I refrigerate the Dalgona foam (whipped coffee mixture)?
Yes, you can refrigerate the whipped coffee mixture for up to 2-3 days. It stays fresh when kept in an airtight glass jar. After 2-3 days it starts releasing water.
How long do I need to whip the coffee mixture?
You need to whip it until soft peaks. So, the time depends upon the gadget you are using for whipping the mixture. If using a wired whisk, then it takes about 5-6 minutes to whip. It is a good muscle exercise, so I prefer it this way.
If you are using a spoon for whipping, then it would take much longer — maybe 8-10 minutes.
You can also use a coffee whipper for whipping the coffee mixture. This way it takes about 1-2 minutes.
If you are using an electric hand mixer then it takes about 1 minute for this much coffee mixture.
Important tips and variations to make best Dalgona Coffee at home:
- To make it more decadent, you can add a dollop of your favorite ice-cream to this coffee recipe. I like coffee, caramel, and toffee flavors with coffee drinks.
- Make sure to use a large mixing bowl for whipping so that there is enough space for your whisk to whip air in.
- Tilting the bowl at about 45 degrees really helps in whipping faster, easier and in an efficient way. So, it is advisable to tilt the bowl while whisking.
- Do not use an immersion blender for whipping, or else the whipped coffee will turn bitter.
- If using a hand mixer or stand mixer, then first mix at low speed, and let the sugar and coffee dissolve completely. Once dissolved completely, switch to the highest settings and whisk until soft peak forms. You can also mix it until hard peaks form.
- You can use any instant coffee powder for this recipe. You can also use decaf coffee. Do not use brewed coffee for this recipe, it does not work well.
- For a boozy weekend flavour, you can also add about 2 tsp of coffee liqueur into the whipped coffee.
- Also do not use 3-in-1 coffee mixes for this recipe. A plain simple instant coffee powder is what you need.
- Do not freeze whipped coffee mixture. But you can surely store foam (whipped mixture) in the refrigerator in an airtight glass container for up to 2-3 days.
Dalgona Coffee - Whipped Coffee (Step-by-step photo instructions)
How to Make Whipped Coffee Mixture //
- In a medium mixing bowl, add instant coffee powder, sugar and hot water. The ratio should be 1 //1 //1 ratio.
- Using a wired whisk or electric mixer, whip the coffee mixture until it is light brown, and fluffy. It should hold soft peaks when you remove the whisk. (This would take about 5-6 minutes if using a wired whisk.)
How to make Dalgona Coffee //
- Fill 3/4 of a tall glass or cup with chilled milk. You can also add some ice cubes to the glass.
- Spoon dollops of whipped coffee mixture on top. Smoothen the top with the spoon.
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder or Dalgona pieces.
- Serve! Make sure to mix it with a spoon before sipping.
How to make Hot Dalgona Coffee //
- Heat the milk in a pan.
- Divide the hot milk between 3 heatproof glasses or cups.
- Top each glass with dollops of the whipped coffee mixture on top. Even the top with a spoon.
- Sprinkle with coffee powder or cocoa powder. Serve hot.