Tomato Bruschetta is a classic Italian appetizer where a mixture of chopped fresh tomatoes with garlic, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar is served on olive oil brushed toasted golden slices of French baguette or Italian bread. It is ready in under 15 minutes.
Now you can make classic restaurant-style tomato basil bruschetta at home with simple and easily available fresh ingredients.
I am sharing awesome tips and variations in this post to help you make your delicious tasting, fresh, and full of flavor tomato bruschetta at home. Serve it as a classic Italian starter or appetizer.
This quick and easy vegan dish makes an outstanding starter for gatherings and get-togethers. This is because you can make a large batch of the topping ahead of time. Just serve toasted bread along with a bowl of the bruschetta topping and let people put it on their own toasts.
So are you ready to make the best tomato bruschetta?
What is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta (Italian pronunciation: Brusketta) is a light, crisp and classic Italian starter, snack or appetizer where toasted or grilled bread slices are rubbed with garlic and topped with olive oil. Then these toasted bread slices are generously topped with various toppings such as tomatoes, beans, vegetables, meat, or cheese.
This easy to make Italian vegan dish Bruschetta is an ideal way to enjoy the flavors of ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Here toasted bread is topped with deep red tomatoes that are full of fresh flavor.
How to Make the Best Bruschetta?
Making Tomato Bruschetta is a breeze, the only time taking things in this recipe is chopping tomatoes. This is how you can make the most delightful tomato bruschetta without any efforts.
Step 1: Coarsely chop tomatoes. Slice basil leaves. Mince or press fresh garlic cloves.
Step 2: Season the tomatoes and make tomato mixture.
Step 3: Slice bread and brush with olive oil.
Step 4: Oven toast or grill the bread slices.
Step 5: Rub each slice with garlic clove.
Step 6: Top each slice with tomato bruschetta mixture.
Step 7: Garnish with basil leaves. Serve immediately.
How to serve tomato bruschetta?
You can either spoon some of the tomato bruschetta mixture over each toasted bread slice, individually. Or you can serve the toast with a bowl of the tomato mixture on the side for people to top their own. Just remember to serve bruschetta straight away after topping with tomato mixture, or else bruschetta will turn soggy.
How To Grill Bread for bruschetta?
To grill, you can use a grill pan or a grill grate. Brush both sides of bread slices with olive oil and place them directly on the grill pan or grill grates. Toast until the slices have nice grill marks. Flip and toast on the other side as well. Transfer to a large serving platter and rub each slice with garlic clove. Let them cool for a couple of minutes. Now you can use these grill slices of bread for making bruschetta.
What are the ingredients you will need to make Tomato Bruschetta?
Tomato Bruschetta uses very simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Ripe Tomatoes: Any type of tomato would work here. So basically you can use any of your favorite tomatoes. Just remember to use the ripe and sweet tomatoes.
- Fresh Basil Leaves: Use only fresh basil leaves for the best results.
- Fresh Garlic: Garlic is used in the tomato mixture also on the toasted bread slices in this recipe. Only use fresh garlic cloves in this recipe. You can either mince garlic cloves or press them using a garlic press.
- Bread Slices: Any type of crusty French baguette or Italian bread can be used for making bruschetta.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: Use the best quality extra-virgin olive oil for toasting bread and for adding in the tomato mixture.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Thick or thin; any type of balsamic vinegar can be used in this recipe.
- Seasoning: For seasoning, I have used salt, red pepper flakes, and some freshly ground black pepper. You can also use Italian seasoning here.
Can I prepare tomato bruschetta in advance?
Yes, you can easily prepare a tomato bruschetta mixture for up to two days in advance. Just make the tomato bruschetta mixture and refrigerate it covered. Then simply toast or grill the bread slices a couple of hours before serving.
Can I use canned tomatoes for tomato bruschetta?
Fresh, ripe and sweet tomatoes taste best here. However, if you don’t find fresh and ripe tomatoes then you can also use canned whole tomatoes for this recipe. Just remember to drain the juice before chopping tomatoes. You can use tomato juice in some other recipe where tomato juice is required.
Tips and variations to make your best tomato bruschetta:
Making bruschetta is simple and straightforward. But with these tips below, you can make it even better. Here are some easy tips for making it the best way possible:
- I have used medium-sized tomatoes for making tomato bruschetta. You can also use cherry tomatoes or any of your favorite tomatoes for this bruschetta recipe.
- If your tomatoes are too juicy then drain the juice, otherwise toasts would soak up all the liquid and you will end up with squashy bruschetta which won’t taste good.
- Tomatoes at room temperature taste best here. So do not use refrigerated tomatoes for tomato bruschetta recipe. If you have kept tomatoes in the refrigerator then make sure to leave them on the kitchen counter until they come at room temperature.
- This recipe yields 20 to 24 small toasts, but you can easily double or triple this recipe.
- Use gluten-free bread to make it gluten-free.
- You can also serve tomato bruschetta mixture with crackers on the side for scooping.
- This tomato mixture can also be used as a dip for your sandwiches or quesadillas. Or you can use it as a sauce for your pasta.
- To give it a cheesy touch, you can also add some feta or mozzarella cheese to tomato mixture.
- The idea is to serve bruschetta immediately. That’s why only assemble bruschetta when you are ready to serve, or until tomato-topped toasts will soften as time goes by.
- Fresh garlic is best here, so do not use canned or jarred garlic in the bruschetta mixture. It does not taste great here.
- You can use a French baguette, Italian bread or any other rustic bread for this recipe.
- Use ripe tomatoes, because tomato bruschetta tastes great with ripe and sweet tomatoes.
- For a beautiful drizzle, To finish you can also drizzle bruschetta with a thick balsamic glaze. It adds a beautiful delicious tangy flavor and a beautiful color to the bruschetta.
- Always rub garlic on the hot toasted bread. This way garlic melts into the toasted bread slices and they absorb more flavor.
- The amount of garlic rubbed on the toast is entirely up to you.
Do try out this tomato bruschetta and let me know in the comments how it turned out for you.