Learn to make Kadai Mushroom Gravy | Shahi Kadai Mushroom Recipe with an easy tutorial. This Shahi Kadai Mushroom is a perfect combo of a cozy + festive dish. The curry is spicy, but sweet and tangy too. Plus, making this curry is just so simple and easy and so flavorful. This Shahi curry is best served with naan or rice.
It just felt like sharing a nice and comfy meal today, because it’s really cold.
And also holiday season is all over my head.
What does a cold weather call for? A cozy meal.
And what a festive season calls for? A festive meal.
So what if I bring the best combo of these two? Wouldn’t that be great?
I know it would be amazing. Most of us are in need of a good, easy and classic dinner menu. Believe me, the dish which I am sharing today would glorify your dinner table.
The following text is for all my fellow FOOD bloggers and FOOD writers:
Food, food, and food is all we think about all day long. We dream about the dishes we need to make and the list seems endless every time. This passion is actually one thing very common in all of us.
I assume food brings people together, and when you share food with someone, you not only share the FOOD but you share a lot of love and emotions connected with that food. Agree? And that is what I love the most about being a food blogger.
As soon as the holiday season starts, I start to get a bit anxious. Really, thinking about one-holiday thing after another gives me anxiety, because I have so many recipes to share for a particular festive season and it’s really the hardest job to decide on a recipe which should be published first, and which ones can wait for sometime. And that makes me feel that I don’t have enough time to share all the fun recipes I have come up with. Seriously, sometimes I get really confused.
Now, about today’s marvelous dish: Let me tell you, this Shahi Kadai Mushroom is one of those recipes which has waited long enough to come here because I was waiting for the PERFECT time to share this. But there is no wrong time for doing the right thing. And I think this is the right thing to do today. Now is the time to share is long awaited post.
So that clearly means today I am sharing a perfect combo of a cozy + festive dish. And the name of this awesome dish is ‘Shahi Kadai Mushroom’.
The word ‘Shahi’ means royal. ‘Kadai’ or ‘kadahi’ is a thick, circular, and deep cooking-pot which is similar to a wok. And that’s why this dish is called Shahi Kadai Mushroom — which is a royal mushroom curry prepared in a wok. Kadai dishes are my favorite and Mushroom dishes are my favorite too.
We all need easy peasy meals. And if you need a quick, easy and irresistible curry to satiate your hunger pangs then just go for it. This curry is just so simple and easy and so flavorful.
This is a super festive dish. But as a treat, you can even make this curry if your guests are coming over for dinner. The aroma of spices cooked on a medium heat with tomatoes and cream certainly makes it undeniably delicious! You can certainly have the same Indian restaurant taste at home. Because this is such an exceptionally awesome dish. It’s such a classic curry to add to the festive menu.
I have seen people who don’t like a mushroom at all, but they are crazy for Kadai mushroom. Shhhh, don’t tell Abhishek that I am talking about him here! 😉
Here’s what to do. First, saute button mushrooms, and then saute bell pepper and onions. Then make a classic and creamy tomato gravy, which is sweet and spicy. So it’s cooked in a semi dry gravy of spiced and tangy tomato sauce along with bell peppers.
If you don’t like eating hot curries then simply omit green chili and pepper powder. You can also adjust the amount of Kashmiri red chili powder. The reason I am using Kashmiri red chili powder is that it adds a beautiful color to any dish, but if you don’t find Kashmiri red chili powder at an Asian grocery store, then you can surely use regular chili powder.
The curry is spicy, but sweet and tangy too. Oh! I love such dishes with the combo of spicy + sweet + tangy.
So the point is, this shahi mushroom curry is awesome and I really wish you make it. And this time making curry would be much easier because I am sharing a video recipe along with this post, with simple steps which you can simply follow to make this rich and classic curry.
Make it and do let me know how it turns out. Because I really want you to make it. So cook this curry whenever you feel like. And for this scenario of the festive season knocking, the sooner the better. 🙂
You may also like these mushroom recipes:
- Couscous with Sauteed Mushrooms Kidney Beans
- Mushroom Kale Stuffed Paratha
- Chickpea Zucchini Mushroom Pizza
- Whole-wheat Peach Mushroom Pizza
- Mushroom Pepper Pilaf With Grilled Veggies
- Mushroom Pepper Corn Masala
- Black-eyed Bean Mushroom Curry
Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan, and add sliced mushrooms to it. Saute them till the water evaporates completely, and mushrooms turn brown. Transfer mushrooms onto a plate. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in the same pan and add onions and bell pepper. Saute them till the onions are light golden in color. Transfer them to a plate.
Heat 3 tbsp ghee in the same pan. Add cinnamon stick, green cardamoms, cloves, and bay leaf. Saute for few seconds. Add onion, ginger-garlic paste and saute for few minutes. Add turmeric powder and saute for a minute. Now add ground pepper and saute for another minute. Add the tomato puree and saute for 2 minutes.
Add red chili powder and kitchen king masala and mix well. Saute for a minute. Add Kasuri methi and saute for 1 minute. Add salt and mix well. Saute for another minute. Add green chili and cook for few minutes till you see oil releasing from the sides.
Add cream, brown sugar and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes. Now add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and mix well. Add desiccated coconut, if you like. Mix well and cook for few seconds. Add butter cubes and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Remove from heat. Garnish with pepper, almond slices, and ginger. Serve hot with naan or rice.
Kadai Mushroom (Restaurant Style) (Step-by-step photo instructions)
Make Kadai Mushroom:
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan, and add sliced mushrooms to it.
- Saute them till the water evaporates completely, and mushrooms turn brown. Once cooked, transfer sautéed mushrooms onto a plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in the same pan and add onions and bell peppers.
- Saute them till the onions are light golden in color. Once done, transfer them onto a plate.
- Now, heat 3 tablespoon ghee in the same pan.
- Add cinnamon stick, green cardamoms, cloves, and bay leaf. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add onion, ginger-garlic paste and saute for 1 minute.
- Add turmeric powder and saute for another minute.
- Now add ground pepper and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add red chili powder and kitchen king masala and mix well, and saute for a minute.
- Add Kasuri methi and saute for 1 minute.
- Add salt and mix well, saute for another minute.
- Add green chili and cook for a few minutes till you see oil releasing from the sides.
- Add cream, brown sugar and mix well, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and mix well.
- Also, add desiccated coconut, if using. Mix everything well and cook for few seconds.
- Add butter cube and mix well again. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with pepper, almond slices, and ginger. Serve hot Kadai mushroom with homemade garlic naan, chapati, or rice.