This classic Italian Pasta Arrabbiata or Penne Arrabbiata is a spicy, delicious, and flavor-packed homemade pasta ready in 20 minutes!
Here, a spicy tomato sauce is generously tossed with pasta. Yummy!
Pasta Arrabbiata makes a great vegetarian dish for any day when topped with some freshly grated parmesan and basil.
Make this heart-winning pasta at home and it would quickly become one of your favorite dishes. Trust me, this has everything to win your heart.
You must have relished the authentic Pasta Arrabbiata if you have ever been to Italy. I tasted the real and the most delicious pasta arrabbiata when I explored Italy some years back. This pasta was one of such dishes you would instantly fall in love with.
Some italian pizza recipes you might want to try are:
What is Pasta Arrabbiata?
Pasta Arrabbiata or pasta al’arrabiata is an Italian vegetarian side dish that is excellent for any weeknight supper.
Arrabbiata or ‘arrabbiata’ is an Italian word that means ‘angry’ which refers to the spiciness of the chili peppers in the sauce. So the Pasta Arrabiata accurately means ‘angry pasta’ in the Italian language.
Sugo all’arrabbiata or Arrabiata sauce is a healthy and spicy lip-smacking tomato sauce. This easy to make hot tomato sauce is a delight for all the spice devotees.
This sauce is made with olive oil, garlic, chopped tomatoes, and red pepper flakes. It is believed that this sauce has its origin from the Lazio region in Rome.
The addition of red pepper flakes imparts the heat to this angry sauce, and the amount of red pepper flakes can be adjusted according to your tolerance for heat.
Arrabbiata sauce is generally served with penne pasta but it can also be served with spaghetti or any other pasta of your choice.
How to make Penne Arrabiata:
Making penne arrabbiata is so simple and straightforward. All you need to do is make the sauce and add the boiled pasta to it.
**This is how it is done in 3 steps. **
Step 1: Cook pasta according to the package. Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Make the arrabbiata sauce by cooking garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes in olive oil. Some seasoning of salt and pepper and some parsley is all that is needed for the finishing touch.
Step 3. Toss pasta with sauce. Garnish with parsley and parmesan. Enjoy.
Check the full recipe in the recipe box on this page.
What are the ingredients for Pasta Arrabiata?
Pasta arrabiata is made using very simple ingredients, and these are:
- Basil leaves
- Brown sugar (optional)
- Cooked pasta (preferably penne)
- Diced tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Tomato paste (optional)
How long can I store arrabbiata sauce?
Arrabbiata sauce stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. You can make arrabbiata sauce in advance, and store it in a sterilized air-tight jar in the refrigerator. When you want to make pasta, just boil it according to package instructions and pour it over hot pasta. Done.
Can I freeze arrabbiata sauce?
Yes, you can. Make the sauce and let it cool completely before freezing. To freeze, transfer the sauce to a freezer-safe container or a ziplock bag and freeze.
You can freeze this sauce for up to 2-3 months. Reheat in a saucepan on low heat. Make fresh noodles or pasta for serving.
**If you liked the Penne Arrabiata Pasta, then you must try these Pasta recipes: **
What kind of pasta to use in Pasta Arrabiata?
Pasta Arrabiata is usually made with penne pasta because the shape of these tubes are just perfect for the spicy sauce. However, if you don’t have penne pasta, or you want to use some other type of pasta then you can certainly do that.
**Other pasta which go well with arrabbiata sauce are: **
What kind of tomatoes to use in Pasta Arrabiata?
You can use any canned diced or chopped tomatoes which are juicy but not too watery. You can also use finely chopped or crushed tomatoes for this recipe
- Chicken Arrabbiata: Replace pasta with cooked chicken thighs to make chicken arrabbiata.
- Arrabbiata spaghetti: To make arrabbiata spaghetti, substitute penne pasta with spaghetti noodles.
- Vegetable Arrabbiata: Just substitute pasta with any vegetables of your choice such as grilled zucchini, grilled broccoli, or barbecued cauliflowers. You can also add zoodles to the arrabbiata sauce.
- Shrimp arrabbiata: Shrimp can be added to the arrabbiata sauce.
- Arrabbiata meatballs: Add meatballs to the sauce. You can also pair it with spaghetti and meatballs.
Tips to make the best pasta arrabbiata:
- This is a spicy recipe, so if you are not a big fan of spicy food, then I would suggest you halving the amount of red pepper flakes.
- The texture of arrabbiata sauce should neither be too thin nor too thick. It should have a consistency like marinara sauce which is the perfect for tossing.
- I have only used chopped basil here, but you can also use chopped parsley, or the combination of chopped parsley and basil.
- I added brown sugar to the sauce. It balances the tangy and spicy flavors of this sauce. And it certainly enhances the flavors of pasta sauce. However, if you don’t want to add sugar then you can skip it.
- I have added brown sugar, but you can choose any sugar of your choice.
- Canned juicy diced tomato makes the best tasting arrabbiata sauce. If you want to use fresh tomatoes, then make sure to blanch and peel them before chopping.
- If using fresh tomatoes, then this would take more time in cooking. So, make sure to cook the sauce until tomatoes are pulpy and the raw smell goes off.
- Some people like to add grated parmesan to the pasta. Italians generally don’t add any cheese to it, so I usually do not add cheese while tossing the pasta. If you want, then please feel free to add parmesan cheese.
- For a meaty variation, you can add chicken, meatballs, ground beef, sausage, shrimp, or chorizo.
- You can also add some grilled veggies of your choice along with penne pasta.
- I have used tomato paste in the sauce because this gives a restaurant style taste to the pasta. If you don’t want to use the tomato paste then simply replace it with 5 tablespoons of diced tomatoes.