Thandai Powder is a healthy and delicious powder mix made with the goodness of nuts, seeds and aromatic spices like saffron, cardamom and rose. Makes a perfect pick me up go-to cool or warm drink for anytime of the year.
About Thandai Powder
Thandai Powder (premix) is a North Indian cooling drink that is widely used in making Thandai (aromatic delicious Indian milk cooler) that is customarily prepared during the Indian festivals of Holi and Maha Shivratri.
This aromatic spice blend Thandai Powder is a flexible masala powder that can be used to make Thandai (flavored milk), yogurt, and many desserts. With this thandai powder you can flavor any milk, and sweet dish with added nutritional value.
Thandai is better known for its cooling and hydrating properties, and thus this easy to make cooling drink Tandai is usually made throughout the summers. Thandai is loved by all age groups — even the fussy milk drinkers (like me) love Thandai.
Thandai powder is an instant solution for all thandai cravings when you don’t have time to soak nuts. You just need 5 minutes of your effective time to enjoy your favorite thandai. Plus, it can be refrigerated for up to 3-4 months.
Now with this recipe, you can make a large batch of this easy to make instant thandai powder at home and use it anytime you want to relish thandai.
Holi, the festival of colors is quite near, and consuming thandai dishes is a must during this festive time. That’s why I decided to bring you the instant thandai powder that can be used in making thandai for Holi parties. Or it can also be used in several desserts.
What is Thandai Drink?
Thandai is a cooling, hydrating, soul-satisfying, and nutritious drink where creamy milk is cooked with the nuts and spices blend. This is a nice thirst-quencher that comes with wonderful health benefits and is so high on nutrients level.
Thandai is a drink that is luxurious and delicious enough to replace your fancy expensive drinks.
Traditional way of making Thandai involves hours of soaking nuts, then peeling and making paste. After that, the nuts paste is cooked with milk and sugar. Then this flavoured milk is refrigerated until it is chilled.
What is Thandai Powder?
Thandai Powder is a cooling and fragrant nut-spice blend made using nuts, seeds and a lot of spices that is used in making flavoured milk/desserts. This powder is a quick and instant version of Thandai.
You can make this powder anytime when you don’t want to wait for hours to make thandai, or when you want a quick energy boost. With this Thandai powder, a refreshing glass filled with thandai goodness is only a few minutes away.
This Thandai Powder
✔is brimmed with the goodness of nuts and spices
✔stays fresh for up to 2 months
✔ is vegan and gluten-free
✔is ready in under 5 minutes
✔makes the most exotic tasing thandai
✔can also be used to flavour desserts and yogurt
✔is made with easily available ingredients
✔can also be customized by skipping or adding a few ingredients
✔is simple, easy & quick to prepare
✔tastes better than the store-bought thandai powder
✔is made with fresh and high quality ingredients
✔is a great addition to your festive/party table
This thadai powder is made of simple ingredients which are easily available worldwide. The good thing is that if you don’t have a couple of ingredients then you can still make it.
Following are the ingredients you will need to make instant thandai powder.
This recipe used whole almonds, whole cashews and whole pistachios. But you can also use the chopped or sliced nuts. Nuts are the base of this thandai powder so just make sure to use the best quality fresh nuts.
2. Black peppercorns:
Black peppercorns add a spicy note to this spice blend. I used about 25-26 black peppercorns but you can surely adjust the amount according to your taste buds.
3. Green cardamom:
A generous amount of cardamom pods are required to make sweet tasting thandai powder. I used about 25-26 green cardamom pods. You can also increase the amount of cardamoms.
4. Saffron strands:
They add a floral aroma and a beautiful color to the thandai. So adding at least 1/2 teaspoon (28-30) saffron strands are a must. You can surely increase the number of saffron strands.
5. Powdered spices:
I added some turmeric powder and cinnamon powder to this recipe. Adding turmeric and cinnamon is optional but I would highly recommend adding them both. Turmeric boosts the immunity power of this thandai powder, and cinnamon beautifully complements the cardamom, rose, and saffron flavourings.
This recipe calls for melon seeds, poppy seeds, and fennel seeds. If you don’t have any of all of these seeds then you can skip them.
7. Dried rose petals:
They add a gorgeous floral taste to this powder. I added 5 tablespoons of rose petals, but you can also reduce the amount. If you want to reduce the amount of rose petals, then use at least 3 tablespoons for this recipe. Use the high quantity edible rose petals.
How to use Thandai Powder?
This powder can be used to flavor any of the dishes below.
How to make Thandai Powder?
Making thandai powder is very simple and requires 5 minutes of your time if you have gathered all the ingredients.
To make thandai, all you have to do is a bit of dry roasting and grinding the thandai ingredients together until powdered. This is how it is done in 3 simple steps.
Step 1: Roast nuts and seeds.
Step 2: Grind all the thandai ingredients until powdered.
Step 3: Store thandai powder in a clean sterilized jar. Done. You can use this powder as and when needed.
How to make Thandai Milkshake?
Thandai milkshake is very simple. Add milk, thandai powder, sugar, cream, rose water, and ice to a blender jar and blend well until creamy and frothy.
For a full list of Thandai Powder + Thandai Milkshake Recipe ingredients and step-by-step photo and video instructions, please see the recipe box on this page.
How to make Thandai using thandai powder?
Making thandai with homemade thandai powder is very simple and basic. To Make Thandai, heat 1.5 cups of full cream milk in a saucepan on medium heat.
Once it starts boiling, turn the heat to low. Add 2 tablespoons thandai powder, sugar to taste and mix well.
Cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat. Then turn off the heat, let it cool and strain. Refrigerate thandai until chilled and serve. You can also serve it warm. Done.
How to serve Thandai Milkshake?
Pro tips and variations to make Best Thandai Powder
1. I added rose water to the thandai milkshake recipe, but you can also add 1 tablespoon of gulkand to thandai milkshake. It tastes great.
2. To make thandai vegan, use coconut, almond, or any other unsweetened non-dairy milk.
3. You can swap sugar with maple syrup, honey, or coconut sugar.
4. When making thandai milkshake, you can also add a dash of rose syrup.
5. 1-2 tablespoons of vanilla ice cream or caramel ice cream can be also added to the thandai milkshake.
6. Green cradamom’s skin is also aromatic and tastes great. So I grind green cardamom with the skin, but you can also peel the skin.
7. Adding poppy seeds give this thandai powder a uniquely rich flavor and creamy texture. It is recommended to use, but if you don’t have poppy seeds then you can skip them.
8. To avoid rotting, make sure to use a clean dry spoon every time using this powder. And also keep the lid everytime after use.
9. If you don’t have a couple of ingredients, then feel free to omit them. This would still taste great.
10. Toasting the ingredients slightly takes away the moisture from nuts and seeds, that increases the shelf life of thandai powder. It also elevates the taste of Thandai powder. But if you don’t want to toast the nuts and seeds, you can skip it.
11. You can keep the texture of thandai powder coarse or making a fine powder is your choice. I like to keep mine coarse.
13. You can also add a dash of freshly grated nutmeg to this thandai powder recipe.
Can I omit dried rose petals while making Thandai?
You can, but I would not suggest it. Rose petals add a distinct floral aroma to this thandai powder that is beyond words. If you don’t have rose petals then you can use some rose extract while preparing thandai or milkshake.
What are the health benefits of consuming Thandai Powder?
Thandai is a refreshing and revitalizing cooling drink that is laden with goodness of all nuts, seeds and wonderful spices.
It is an energy booster and rich in antioxidants.
It also prevents acidity bloating, and aids digestion.
It also works as an immune booster and detoxifies the body at the same time.
When should you drink Thandai?
Thandai can be enjoyed during the spring and summer months. If you want to enjoy it during the winter, then drink warm thandai.
How to store Thandai Powder?
Homemade Thandai powder made with fresh ingredients stays fresh for up to 1 week at room temperature when stored in an air-tight container in a cool dark place. To increase shelf life, you can store it in the refrigerator for upto 3-4 months.
Thandai Powder + Thandai Milkshake (Step-by-step photo instructions)
How to make Thandai Powder:
- Add almonds, cashews, pistachios, saffron strands, and green cardamom pods to a pan.
- Dry roast at medium heat for about 1 minute or until they are warm.
- Transfer toasted nuts to a plate and keep them aside.
- Now to the same pan, add melon seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, and black peppercorns.
- Also, toast them at medium heat for about 1 minute or until they are fragrant.
- Transfer them to the same plate with the nuts mixture and let them cool slightly.
- Now add all roasted nuts and seeds mix to blender or spice grinder jar.
- Also add dried rose petals, turmeric powder, and cinnamon powder.
- Now grind to make a coarse or fine powder. The texture of the powder is entirely up to you. You can also sift the powder if you want very fine powder.
- Transfer this powder to a plate and break if you find the nut mixture sticky. You can also sift the powder if you want very fine powder.
- Store the thandai powder in a sterilized airtight jar/container at room temperature for up to a week. Or store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 months.
How to make Thandai Milkshake:
- To make a thandai Milkshake, add 1 1/2 cups of chilled milk to a blender jar.
- Also add 2 tablespoons of thandai powder, sugar, rose water, cream, ice cubes.
- Blend until frothy.
- Divide thandai milkshake into 2 glasses/cups.
- Garnish with dried rose petals, sliced nuts, saffron strands, and serve chilled.
How to make thandai with thandai powder:
- To Make Thandai, heat 1.5 cups of full cream milk in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Once it starts boiling, turn the heat to low. Add 2 tablespoons of thandai powder, sugar to taste and mix well.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on low heat. Then turn off the heat.
- Refrigerate thandai until chilled and serve. You can also serve it warm.