Golden milk (turmeric milk) also known as Haldi Doodh is an Ayurvedic Indian drink with many magical healing properties. This powerful Indian drink is a great beverage for cough, colds, congestion, skin problems, or when you want a deep sound sleep, or if you simply like to enjoy a warm and tasty drink.
This creamy turmeric and ginger-infused golden milk is a super healthy, slightly spicy, perfectly sweet, and delicious bowl of comfort. This nourishing hot milk drink is filled to the brim with the goodness of turmeric.
Haldi Doodh is made by combining milk, turmeric, some other beneficial spices and a little bit of fat. 10 minutes is all you need to make it.
Haldi Doodh is an energetic and super-powerful home remedy with medicinal properties and a great immunity booster.
This milk is prepared using turmeric which is a yellow spice popular in Indian cuisine.
It is so good to warm up in winters with all the great properties of turmeric (haldi) and spices such as cinnamon, black pepper, cardamom and ginger.
The ancient Indian milk had now gained its fame in Western cultures too. So you might already be aware of the goodness of this bright yellow beverage ‘Turmeric Milk’.
If you are familiar with Indian cuisine then you probably have encountered turmeric somewhere.
Turmeric or Haldi is an essential ingredient in Indian kitchens. Turmeric is a staple in Indian dishes. Without the presence of this spice ‘turmeric,’ you can’t even make your daily meals. Turmeric is required in most of the Indian dishes. You can simply say that we Indians can’t even make our lunch or dinner without turmeric.
In India, Haldi Doodh is a one-stop solution for many diseases and sicknesses.
When someone is down with a cold, cough, congestion, an infection, or even when they’ve hurt themselves with something, the first thing all the grandmothers and mothers would do, is to make a warm glass of Haldi Doodh for them to give an instant immunity boost. This is a cultural thing in India.
My grandmother even used to put raw turmeric powder or turmeric paste on the cuts to stop bleeding whenever we were out of antiseptic disinfectants. I hated putting turmeric on my wounds back then, but it worked magically every single time. She even used to put it on zits and acne. Furthermore, it worked there too.
Isn’t it ironic that we take things for granted when we are children? Then we grow up and lean back to our age-old traditions yet again. This is how I can describe my relationship with turmeric and its uses.
Now I also do all those things with turmeric that my grandmother and mother used to do. Traditions are ingrained and somehow so comforting, especially when you live miles away from your family.
Every single time someone catches a cold in my home I make this golden milk for my entire family. This is how we relish this calming drink.
This recipe I am sharing today is my family’s favorite haldi doodh (golden milk) recipe which a staple in our home during winters. We devour this golden milk several times a week. This is a very warming and delicious drink with earthy flavors that no one can resist. This recipe only requires just 8 ingredients, 1 pot, and 10 minutes of your time.
Golden milk is a wonderful way to get the most health benefits of turmeric. When golden milk is brewed this way with warming spices like cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, and ginger, not only adults, but the kids love it too.
I have a tiny fussy eater who embraces golden milk for its absolutely delicious flavors, so I can claim that this milk is kid-friendly. :)
Golden milk has many names like turmeric milk, yellow milk, turmeric latte, and turmeric tea. In Indian homes, we call it haldi doodh or Haldi ka Doodh which translates to ‘Turmeric Milk’. This milk has been treasured since olden times for its healing properties.
What is golden milk?
Golden Turmeric Milk is an old-fashioned Ayurvedic Indian drink. Turmeric Milk is also known as Haldi Doodh, where turmeric = haldi, and milk = doodh. Golden milk in purest words is a combination of heated milk and ground (grated) turmeric and some spices which make it a perfect soothing beverage.
Turmeric milk is anti-inflammatory, calming and comforting hot drink which is excellent for you when you catch a cold, have joint pains, or just when you want to relax with a therapeutic drink before bedtime. It helps you sleep like a baby.
This milk is praised to the skies for its many health benefits including anti-inflammatory and immunity-boosting traits.
Properties of Turmeric:
Turmeric contains many wonderful properties. This is one of the best Ayurvedic and natural remedies for cough, colds, congestion, and other skin problems. It is recommended by Ayurveda, the ancient Indian school of medicine. This is one of the most potent remedies for all types of nasal congestion, colds, and colds.
Is Golden milk good before bed?
Yes, it gives wondrous results when consumed before bed. Turmeric or haldi supports digestion and has relaxing and calming properties leading to a better and sounder sleep.
Since haldi is anti-inflammatory, it is even recommended before sleep if you are hurt somewhere, or have any kind of aches and pains. This aids in recovering with the wounds faster while asleep.
Golden milk is also a very famous home remedy for joint pains.
What is the best time to drink turmeric milk?
My preferred time to drink this milk is before going to bed because it helps in relaxation, makes me sleep faster and better. It also boosts the immune system while sleeping — a perfect healer.
Also, traditional Golden milk is high in calcium and protein which complements the many qualities of turmeric or Haldi doodh. So drinking a glass of warm haldi wala doodh just before bed at night is a good option and it can do miracles for your health.
Can I drink golden milk in the morning?
Yes, you can. Drinking a glass of golden turmeric milk on an empty stomach in the morning can help boost your immune system and helps in fighting with many illnesses and infections.
What milk is best for golden milk?
This golden yellow turmeric milk is traditionally made using a fresh cow or buffalo milk. So it is dairy-based.
But you can make golden milk using plant-based or nut-based milk. You can choose almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk, and coconut milk.
What are the health benefits of golden milk?
Turmeric is a staple of Ayurvedic medicine and the drink made with turmeric has very high medicinal values.
Golden milk or Haldi Doodh has many scientifically proven health gains and has been used for ages in Indian cooking. Some of those health benefits are below.
This Golden Milk:
- Is anti-inflammatory and eliminates all types of inflammation.
- Is laden with antioxidants.
- Strengthens and moisturizes your skin.
- Is great for digestion and can be used as a digestive.
- Supports to protect against bacterial and viral infections.
- Is used as an alternative remedy to boost immunity.
- Prevents illnesses such as colds and coughs.
- Relieves nighttime coughing.
- Reduces the risk of bone diseases.
- Gives relief from aches and chronic pains.
- Helps in sound sleep.
- Helps in fighting off depression.
- Cures acne & cuts.
- Is a natural antibiotic.
- Helps liver functioning
- Improves memory and helps you focus.
- Treats hair loss.
- Reduces fever.
- Relieves nausea.
- Promotes elimination of mucus from the body.
- Is a great drink for treating eczema and for relieving headaches.
You can read more about turmeric benefits on my post about Why You Need Turmeric In Your Kitchen.
How to Make Golden Milk / Haldi Doodh?
Golden milk or haldi doodh is fairly easy and quick to make. You just have to mix the ingredients in a saucepan or pot and heat them for a delightful and healthy drink.
There are many ways to make golden milk or haldi doodh. If you want to get the full benefits of turmeric (haldi), then these are the components you need: milk, turmeric, spices and some kind of fat.
All you need is some kind of milk, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, some fat (ghee or coconut oil). You can also add cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger for more flavorings.
Add all of these ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil and simmer for 7-8 minutes. Add sweetener of your choice. Strain and pour into mugs. Enjoy a warm cup of deliciousness with an array of health benefits.
What are the spices used in Golden Milk (Haldi Doodh)?
These are the spices used:
✓ turmeric powder / haldi powder (You can also use chopped fresh turmeric root)
✓ green cardamom powder / hari elaichi ka powder (optional)
✓ ground black peppercorns / kali mirch powder
✓ ground cinnamon / dalchini powder (you can also use a cinnamon stick)
✓ freshly chopped ginger / kati hui adrak (you can also use ground ginger)
Is it safe to drink turmeric milk every day?
Yes, you can take Turmeric milk once every day without any side effects if taking the amounts in limits.
The daily dose of turmeric milk will boost your immune system and would improve your physical and mental health. Make sure you do not overdrink it. Because of the heating properties of turmeric milk, it might have some side effects such as heartburn when taken more than 1-2 glasses in a day.
How to make Golden Milk from fresh Turmeric?
Making fresh milk from root turmeric is very simple. You need to follow this same recipe. Just instead of turmeric powder, add 1 tablespoon of chopped or grated fresh turmeric root.
Tips, tricks & variations on how to make Golden Milk with health benefits:
- To obtain the most health benefits from golden milk, use a limited amount of sweetener. Also, for the best results use milk with vitamin D and calcium.
- I love haldi wala doodh along with some earthy spices. Thus, I add a handful of spices in my Golden milk recipe. You can easily remove any of the spices except black peppercorns from this recipe.
- Adding black peppercorns is essential because it helps activate the turmeric. So if you want to read the benefits then do not skip the ground peppercorns. However, you can change the amount of ground peppercorns according to your taste buds.
- The most beneficial sweetener for this drink is raw honey. But feel free to add any other sweetener of your choice. Other sweeteners that go well in this recipe are: maple syrup, jaggery, sugar (white, brown, coconut, or palm). For a vegan version, use maple syrup or vegan honey.
- You can choose any milk to make this recipe.
- I have added chopped ginger in this recipe. You can also add some freshly grated ginger or even ground ginger to this recipe.
- I have made this milk with turmeric powder. You can also replace turmeric powder with some chopped or grated fresh turmeric roots.
- Adding some kind of fat is essential in the golden milk recipe. Fat helps in the absorption of turmeric. Ghee (clarified butter) is the best type of fat for Golden Milk. Use coconut oil if you are making vegan golden milk.
- Turmeric might stain hands, and clothes so makes sure your wear an apron and work with caution.
- Always store turmeric powder in an airtight container at room temperature. Ground good kind of turmeric will stay at best quality for about 3 to 4 years if stored properly.
WATCH VIDEO BELOW: Golden Mik - Turmeric Milk - Haldi Doodh
(Please wait for a couple of seconds for loading)
Direct Video link: https://www.youtube.com/embed/afjcJnc5UJY