Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies are ideal Christmas cookies!
These cakey Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies are stunning, chewy, velvety, delicious, and festive. What else can we ask for a Christmas cookie? They are simply ultimate.
You simply roll the red velvet cookie dough in powdered sugar before baking, and you get the most delicious and chewy cookies with stunning white crinkles on top.
A deep red cookie with a sophisticated crackled crust dusted with powdered sugar is just AH-MAZING!
This recipe has all the tips to help you make your perfect red velvet crinkle cookies each time.
What are red velvet crinkle cookies?
Red velvet crinkle cookies make a wonderful treat for holidays. These scrumptious red velvet crinkle cookies from scratch are chocolatey, and have a dense and fudgy texture like a brownie.
This fudgy red velvet cookie dough is rolled in powdered sugar which forms a distinctly crackled top.
The one thing which I love the most about crinkle cookies other than the taste is the presence of those delicate cracks on top. Every time I see crinkle cookie I get mesmerized by its beauty. Cracks on top take just my breath away.
Related: Red Velvet Mug Cake
This is Best tried and tested version of Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies.
Well, I am not the only one and certainly not the first one to share red velvet crinkle cookies. The internet is flooded with so many stunning and mouth-watering red velvet crinkle cookie recipes.
But the one I am sharing today is my tried and tested recipe which I have been baking over the past few years and everytime they work just great. So I consider this to be my humble duty to tell you a little about their goodness.
The final cookies taste somewhere in between a chocolate cookie and a muffin. The outer layer is sweet and crisp and the inner layer is soft. Making them is super-easy and they really look very festive.
My little one started baking pretend red velvet crinkle cookies right after I told her that they can be gifted. She started to pretend baking because she also wanted to gift them to her friends. So when I asked her, “Do you want to make real red velvet crinkle cookies which you can gift to your friends?”
She said: “Yes, mommy. I want to gift them like you are gifting to your friends. All of my friends would be so happy when I’ll give them these cookies. So we baked another batch just to give them to her friends.
And after baking, she made sure that I also make few pretty packets full of Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies for Christmas giveaway to her friends. That’s how these kids learn, they watch what you do and then they replicate. :)
Related: Eggless Tutti Frutti Cookies Recipe
Pin it to your BREAKFAST BOARD to SAVE IT for later!
Follow My Ginger Garlic Kitchen on Pinterest for even more great ideas and deliciously appealing recipes!
Related: Whole Wheat Indian Cookies
How to serve red velvet crinkle cookies?
Who wouldn’t love a delicious cookie with a hint of cocoa and vanilla. These red velvet crinkle cookies taste good just as they are. You can either serve them along with a glass of milk or alongside a mug of hot chocolate.
What are the Ingredients you’ll need to make red velvet crinkle cookies?
For making red velvet crinkle cookies you only need some basic cookie ingredients which you always have in the kitchen would do well. You don’t require any cake mix for making these cookies.
These ingredients are:
✓ Unsalted Butter
✓ Granulated Sugar
✓ Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
✓ Baking Powder
✓ Red Food Color
✓ Vanilla Extract
✓ Confectioner Or Powdered Sugar
Related: Eggless Roasted Cumin Cookies Recipe
Why would you love these red velvet crinkle cookies?
There are many reasons to love red velvet crinkle cookies. Here are some reasons for you:
- They are exemplary muffin-like cookies which are not really huge in size — perfectly bite-sized for kids to grab.
- They will also make a nice Christmas gift and I have already made some gift-packs full of these cookies.
- These red velvet crinkle cookies are in demand for this festive season. Because they are beautiful, they are deep red, they are velvety and they look like the red velvet is covered in snow.
- They go so well with some hot chocolate, a warm glass of milk or some herbal tea.
- These muffin-like cookies are holiday brunch perfection.
- They are stunning, velvety, delicious, crispy and festive — what else can we ask for a Christmas cookie? They are simply ultimate.
Related: Indian Shortbread Cookies
How to Bake Perfect red velvet Crinkle Cookies?
To bake perfect crinkle cookie, you need to make sure that you roll the dough well in powdered sugar. This sugar coating ensures that you get crackles as they bake.
How to make crinkle cookies in advance?
If you want to make a crinkle cookie in advance then you can simply roll the dough in balls and arrange them on a baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour and then transfer them to a ziplock bag or freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 2 months.
When you want to bake these cookies. Just thaw them at room temperature for 30 minutes. Roll the cookie dough balls in powdered sugar, and bake as directed in the recipe. You may need to increase the baking time when you are baking with frozen dough.
Tips for the best crinkle cookies:
- You can also add white or brown chocolate chips for more chocolaty flavor.
- If you want to spread these cookies then only freeze for 30 minutes. Or if refrigerating the dough overnight, then you can let the dough rest at the counter for 1 hour before baking.
- I only roll my cookies in powdered sugar. If you want you can coat cookies first in granulated sugar and then in powdered sugar.
- Don’t over bake red velvet cookies, or else they will dry out. We want cakey cookies which are little gooey from the center.
I hope my friends would love them as much as my family does. When I made those gift wraps, My little one asked, why am I wrapping cookies. I then told her that they are Christmas gifts and that made her so enthralled by the fact that these cookies can also be gifted.
So let’s bake them to enjoy ourselves or to gift them.
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies (Step-by-step photo instructions)
How to Bake Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies //
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and keep it aside.
- In another large mixing bowl add butter, eggs, and cream together.
- Add dry ingredients and whisk well to combine.
- After that, add red food color and mix well. Add more color until the dough is bright in the red color.
- Wrap the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 175°C/350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside. Then shape dough into about 1-inch balls using a melon baller or a teaspoon.
- Roll balls into the confectioner sugar to completely coat.
- Arrange them on a baking tray 2 inches apart. Bake for 11-12 minutes or until cookies beautifully puffed.
- Allow them to cool for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Enjoy red velvet cookies with milk or coffee.