This refreshingly delicious, spicy, and tangy Kala Chana Chaat is made with black chickpeas, onions, potatoes, bell peppers and a bunch of spices.
This oil-free, sugar-free and gluten-free and vegan recipe makes a great snack or lunch!
Kaala Chana Chat or Black Chickpeas Salad is one of the most Eco-Friendly Comfort foods.
As the world is mending its ways and is making more sustainable lifestyle choices in a bid to protect the climate, have you ever wondered you can contribute to the cause by simply tweaking up your food choices?
You read it right – you can help the planet by opting to eat certain foods over others, and merely using reusable shopping bags on your grocery trips does not have to be your only contribution to the cause.
Comfort food is something that we cannot do without, especially as winters are almost there. We need something to snack on other than our regular meals at odd hours while we are unwinding on a couch watching a Netflix series.
Unfortunately, most recipes are rich in fats and carbs and our somewhat unhealthy snacks therefore, people with healthier choices rely on western salads.
Kaala Chana Chat or Black Chickpea salad is one hardcore Indian salad that is not only immensely healthy, but it is also easy to prepare, is eco-friendly and is the most delicious comfort food ever.
This gluten-free salad is a nutrition powerhouse that offers a healthy, wholesome and energetic meal with amazing health benefits such as controlling blood pressure and heart diseases.
Are you a fan of chaats? If yes, here ar some other delicious chaat recipes you might also love to try are: corn chaat, chips chaat, Aloo Tikki Chaat, dahi vada, and Bread Chaat, palak patta chaat, samosa chaat, and chole tikki chaat.
Before we move on with the preparation process, it is highly recommended that you try to grow as many veggies as possible in your kitchen garden.
Not only it will help the planet by increased plantations, but you will also enjoy your home-grown organic produce.
Kala Chana Chaat – The most Eco-Friendly Comfort food [Recipe]
(Rating: 4.9 from 5 reviews)
|Prep time 🕐||Cook time 🕐||Total time 🕐|
|Category ☶||Cuisine ♨||Serves ☺|
|Nutrition Info ⊛||Serving size ⊚|
|147 calories||1 serving|
For Kala Chana Chaat //
- 2 cups dried black chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 3 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tomato
- 2 green chilies, chopped (optional)
- 1 large-sized onion
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves (pudina)
- 1.5 cups fresh coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
- 1 tbsp chat masala (chaat masala)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchur powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak (rock salt)
- lemon Juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- 3 sliced oranges
- Water for boiling
How to Cook Kala Chana //
- Soak kala chana or chickpeas overnight in enough water.
- Next morning, drain the water and rinse soaked 2-3 times under running water.
- Add soaked chickpeas and enough to a pressure cooker. You will need about 8-10 cups of water to boil.
- Cover with the lid and pressure cook in a pressure cooker for 6-7 whistles or until cooked. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure cools down, drain the excess water from cooked chickpeas and then transfer them in a large bowl. (You can use this water for kneading chapati dough).
How to Make Kala Chana Chaat //
- Cut potatoes into bite-sized cubes and add them to the chickpeas.
- Cut bell pepper into small cubes and chop the onion, tomato, mint leaves, coriander leaves, and green chilies finely.
- Next add all the chop vegetables to the bowl to mixing.
- Now add Chat Masala, cumin powder, salt, lemon juice, and mango powder.
- Toss well to combine, and do it gently so that you do not end up breaking the potatoes.
- Arrange kala chana chaat in a serving plate.
- Put sliced segments of oranges at the top or mix them if you like them mixed.
- Top with some Tamarind Chutney as a garnish and serve.
- You can either eat it hot or cold.
- You can also drizzle it with some green coriander chutney.
- You can also top this chaat with some plain yogurt.
If this recipe helped you, then please spread the word by sharing and subscribing to us on YouTube to get more such Recipe Videos.
Your feedback is so helpful for me and other MyGingerGarlicKitchen readers. So, for Facebook and Instagram, please mention @MyGingerGarlicKitchen or #mygingergarlickitchen. I would love to see your photos. :)
Recipe Source Link: https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/kala-chana-chaat/
Date Published: 2022-12-13