Cooking time: 20 minutes
What is Sunahari Makki Ki Roti?
Sunahari Makki Ki Roti is a flatbread recipe, prepared with cornmeal flour. Sunahari Makki Ki Roti is classically yellow in color, traditional, and one of the most famous lunch or dinner recipes of North India. Generally Makki ki roti is served with a dollop of butter on the top. However, for a healthier choice butter can be replaced with vegetable margarine. Rich flavor of sunahari makki ki roti comes out even richer when used with margarine. So leave the butter consuming worries aside, and enjoy this heavenly and delicious sunahari makki ki roti with a dollop of margarine 🙂
Let’s learn to make Sunahari Makki Ki Roti in 6 easy to understand quick steps.
- 2 cups cornmeal or maize flour (makki ka atta)
- salt to taste
- warm water for kneading
- butter/margarine for smearing
- 2 plastic sheets for flattening balls
- Take a mixing bowl. Add cornmeal, salt and knead into firm dough using enough warm water.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions, and make small balls.
- Put one plastic sheet on the rolling surface. Apply a little water on a dough ball, and place it on the plastic sheet. Cover the dough ball with another plastic sheet. Flatten it gently with your palm to form a circle, as shown below in the picture.
- Remove the top plastic sheet. Now very slowly & carefully remove the lower sheet to transfer the circle on to your palm. You have to be careful while removing lower plastic sheet, as the flattened circle can break.
- Heat a pan. Now place this flattened circle carefully on heated pan. When you see the top surface is changing color, turn it on the other side and roast it till you see the brown spots coming.
- Roast it from both sides. Repeat the same process with the remaining dough balls. Smear butter on top. Sunahari Makki Ki Roti is ready. Serve hot with a dollop of butter/margarine, and with any of your favorite curries or spiced lentils. Enjoy!
Happy Cooking 🙂
Show us your love by commenting on this post, and share your thoughts.
Liked this post, then you will like this too.