This curry is healthy and comes with deliciousness of curry different beans, cooked in creamy tangy tomato sauce along with whole bunch of spices.
What is 5 Bean Curry?
This 5 bean curry is an Indian style curry, which is the blend of 5 protein-rich beans. This curry has a tomato based spicy masala which blends perfectly well with all different textured beans.
My love for all type of beans forced me to I create this easy, hearty, gluten-free, vegetarian curry which tastes scrumptious.
Related: Black Eyed Bean Carrot Biryani
For this curry, I have combined 5 different types of beans, so just to enjoy them together in one dish
- Chickpeas (Chole) //
- Kidney Beans (Rajma) //
- Whole Black Gram (Sabut Urad) //
- Black Eyed Bean (Lobia) //
- Whole Green Gram / Mung Bean (Sabut Moong) //
This awesomely divine 5 bean curry makes a great satisfying meal when combined with some plain rice or paratha.
This healthy and comes with the deliciousness of different beans, cooked in creamy tangy tomato sauce along with the whole bunch of spices.
It is definitely protein rich curry is a good alternative with a little twist to regular bean curry whenever you feel like having one. 5 bean curry can be eaten for lunch/dinner accompanied by rice or naan.
Related: Butternut Spaghetti Squash Pineapple Bean Boats
Related: Couscous with Sauteed Mushrooms Kidney Beans
Let’ learn to make 5 Bean Curry Recipe | How To Make Multi Beans Curry
Wash all the beans and add 3.5 cups water to it. Add beans to a pressure cooker along with salt, bay leaf, black cardamom, cinnamon stick and 3.5 cups of water.Cover the lid, and pressure cook for 6-8 whistles. Let it cook on on low heat for about 10 minutes. When the cooker is cooled off, open the lid. Heat oil & butter in a pan.
Add cumin seeds to it. When they start to splutter, add onion paste and ginger-garlic paste. Saute for about 5 minutes or till it turns golden brown. Add chopped tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes.
Now Add cream cheese spread and cook for 3-4 minutes.Add chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder along with ¼ cup of water.Let the spices cook with water for few minutes. Now add kasuri methi, sugar, cooked beans, and mix well. Cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes till gravy thickens.Add more water if needed.Remove from heat, and serve hot with steamed rice or naan.
5 Bean Curry Recipe - How To Make Multi Beans Curry [Recipe]
(Rating: 4.2 from 387 reviews)
|Prep time 🕐||Cook time 🕐||Total time 🕐|
|Category ☶||Cuisine ♨||Serves ☺|
|Nutrition Info ⊛||Serving size ⊚|
For 5 Bean Curry:
- 1/4 cup kidney beans (rajma), washed and soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup chickpeas (chole/kabuli chana), washed and soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup whole black gram (sabut urad), washed and soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup black-eyed bean (lobia), washed and soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup whole green gram (sabut urad), washed and soaked overnight
- 4 + 1/4 cups water, or more if needed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoons butter/ghee (use vegan butter to make it vegan)
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 medium-sized green chili, chopped
- Salt as per taste
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 1 black cardamom (moti elacihi)
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon red chili (lal mirch) powder, or cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 cream cheese spread triangle (I used cashew cream to make it vegan)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Make 5 Bean Curry:
- Combine all the beans, rinse well.
- Add beans to a pressure cooker along with salt, bay leaf, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, and 4 cups of water.
- Cover the lid, and pressure cook for 6-8 whistles.
- After that, turn the heat to low, and let them cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and let the pressure cool off completely before opening the lid.
- When the cooker is cooled off, open the lid, and check if all the beans are cooked and soft. If not, then pressure cook for 2 more whistles.
- Heat oil & butter in a pan. Once hot, add cumin seeds.
- When they start to splutter, add onion paste and ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute for about 5 minutes or till it turns golden brown.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes.
- After that Add cream cheese spread (or cream) and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder along with 1/4 cup of water or more if required.
- Let the spices cook with water for a few minutes.
- Now add kasuri methi, sugar, cooked beans, and mix well. Check for the seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Cook covered on medium heat for 15-20 minutes till gravy thickens. Add more water if needed.
- Once done, remove from heat. Serve hot with steamed rice or naan.
- I used the cream cheese spread triangle, but feel free to swap it with any cooking cream of your choice.
- The amount of spices can be customized.
- The curry stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 2 days when kept in an air-tight container.
- You can also freeze this curry in a ziplock bag or freezer-safe container for 2 months. Simply thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. When you want to serve, reheat in a pan or microwave.
If this recipe helped you, then please spread the word by sharing and subscribing to us on YouTube to get more such Recipe Videos.
Your feedback is so helpful for me and other MyGingerGarlicKitchen readers. So, for Facebook and Instagram, please mention @MyGingerGarlicKitchen or #mygingergarlickitchen. I would love to see your photos. :)
Recipe Source Link: https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/5-bean-curry-recipe/
Date Published: 2023-03-08