5 Bean Curry Recipe - How To Make Multi Beans Curry
This 5 Bean Curry is a healthy dish comes with the deliciousness of 5 different beans cooked in a creamy tangy tomato sauce along with whole bunch of spices.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/5-bean-curry-recipe/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 40 minutes
Total Time = 50 minutes
Category = Side
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4-6
Nutrition Info = 232 calories
Serving Size = 1
» For 5 Bean Curry:
- 1/4 cup kidney beans (rajma), washed and soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup chickpeas (chole/kabuli chana), washed and soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup whole black gram (sabut urad), washed and soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup black-eyed bean (lobia), washed and soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup whole green gram (sabut urad), washed and soaked overnight
- 4 + 1/4 cups water, or more if needed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoons butter/ghee (use vegan butter to make it vegan)
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 medium-sized green chili, chopped
- Salt as per taste
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 1 black cardamom (moti elacihi)
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon red chili (lal mirch) powder, or cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 cream cheese spread triangle (I used cashew cream to make it vegan)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
» Make 5 Bean Curry:
- Combine all the beans, rinse well.
- Add beans to a pressure cooker along with salt, bay leaf, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, and 4 cups of water.
- Cover the lid, and pressure cook for 6-8 whistles.
- After that, turn the heat to low, and let them cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and let the pressure cool off completely before opening the lid.
- When the cooker is cooled off, open the lid, and check if all the beans are cooked and soft. If not, then pressure cook for 2 more whistles.
- Heat oil & butter in a pan. Once hot, add cumin seeds.
- When they start to splutter, add onion paste and ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute for about 5 minutes or till it turns golden brown.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes.
- After that Add cream cheese spread (or cream) and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder along with 1/4 cup of water or more if required.
- Let the spices cook with water for a few minutes.
- Now add kasuri methi, sugar, cooked beans, and mix well. Check for the seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Cook covered on medium heat for 15-20 minutes till gravy thickens. Add more water if needed.
- Once done, remove from heat. Serve hot with steamed rice or naan.
- I used the cream cheese spread triangle, but feel free to swap it with any cooking cream of your choice.
- The amount of spices can be customized.
- The curry stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 2 days when kept in an air-tight container.
- You can also freeze this curry in a ziplock bag or freezer-safe container for 2 months. Simply thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. When you want to serve, reheat in a pan or microwave.