Easy Coconut Burfi Roll made with desiccated coconut and milk powder, and flavored with saffron and cardamom. This irresistible burfi roll (Indian fudge) recipe is quick and easy to make.
This no-cook coconut burfi roll is ready in under 20 minutes. Made with simple ingredients, this simple and toothsome sweet roll makes one of the finest Indian mithai.
These rolls make a delectable dessert to celebrate festivals such as Raksha Bandhan, Diwali, Holi, or any other special occasion! These gorgeous rolls are candy for both eyes and tongue!
On this page, you will get step-by-step photo instructions, a video recipe, and tips and tricks that will help you make your best Coconut Burfi Rolls.
About Coconut Burfi Roll
Coconut Burfi Roll is an elegant Indian-style coconut and milk powder fudge that is enriched with a touch of saffron and cardamom, prettified with edible silver leaves, and garnished with pistachios. These burfi rolls look ravishing and taste extravagant too.
Plus, making this no-cook sweet dish is child’s play. All you need is 20 minutes of your time and this stunning dessert. Make this festive treat when you have a party or a get-together, and this fudge will please your guest’s eyes and taste glands.
Burfi is one of the most popular Indian sweet dishes. Milk powder and coconut are two main ingredients used in making Indian burfis and other sweet dishes, such as Layered Coconut Burfi, Milk Powder Burfi, Chocolate Burfi, Kesar Mawa Peda, Apple Shaped Milk Peda, Kopra Pak, Mango Peda, peanut katli etc.
This Coconut Burfi Roll
✓ is made with only a few ingredients
✓ is no-cook and ready in under 20 minutes
✓ has delightful coconutty and milky taste
✓ makes a great holiday gift to give to friends and family
✓ can be made for any parties or get together
✓ makes a delicious after-meal dessert
✔ can also be made vegan
This easy-to-make coconut burfi roll requires just a few handy ingredients. You will need 4 main and 5 optional ingredients.
Desiccated coconut – You can use any of your favorite brands here. I have used medium grade, but you can also use fine grade desiccated coconut. That would work just fine.
Milk powder – This is the second key ingredient of this coconut burfi roll. I like to use full cream milk powder because it gives a nice milky flavor to this burfi roll. But you can also use semi-skimmed milk powder here.
Sweetener – I have used homemade sweetened condensed milk to this burfi roll. You can also use store-bought condensed milk. If you don’t want to use sweetened condensed milk here, then you can also use powdered sugar. You just need to increase the amount of milk, if you are using powdered sugar.
Milk – We would need some milk for kneading the mixture. I used boiled and cooled whole milk for making this coconut burfi roll recipe. If you don’t prefer to use full-cream milk then you can also add semi-skimmed milk to this recipe.
Other ingredients – I have used cardamom and saffron for flavoring. Added Nuts for nutty texture and garnish. Edible silver leaves (vark) and a few drops of orange food color. In addition, food coloring and garnishing are entirely optional here. I have also used a few drops of melted ghee for brushing the parchment paper.
How to make Coconut Burfi Roll
To make a no-cook coconut burfi roll, all you need to do is some mixing, rolling, and cutting. That’s it. This is how you can make a coconut burfi roll in 5 easy to follow steps:
Step 1 – Add desiccated coconut, milk powder, sweetened condensed milk, and cardamom powder to a mixing bowl. Give this a mix, and then slowly add milk little by little to make a smooth dough.
Step 2 – Divide the dough into two portions. To one portion, add chopped nuts and mix until everything is combined. To the second portion, add saffron strands and orange food color and mix well to incorporate.
Step 3 – Place white dough onto greased parchment paper and shape it into a long cuboid. Wrap it in the parchment paper and freeze for 5 minutes.
Step 4 – Roll the second dough between two greased parchment sheets. You can cut the excess rolled sheet to make a rectangle or use it as is. Then place the cuboid on the long side and roll. Once rolled, garnish the rolled cuboid with edible silver leaves and chopped pistachios.
Step 5 – Wrap the cuboid in parchment paper and freeze for 20 minutes. Cut it into 1/4 inch slices. Done!
You can get the detailed recipe with step-by-step images and recipe video tutorial in the recipe box on this page.
Store them in a parchment paper-lined airtight container in the refrigerator. These burfi rolls stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Chocolate coconut burfi roll – Instead of saffron, you can add unsweetened cocoa powder.
Rose coconut burfi roll - You can swap saffron with rose syrup. Additionally, you can also add dried rose petals and rose water.
Important Tips to Make Perfect Coconut Burfi Roll
Always use the best quality coconut and milk powder as they are the two main ingredients of this burfi roll recipe.
Milk – Since this is a no-cook recipe, you need the boiled and cooled milk to avoid the raw taste of milk.
If the mixture seems dry after adding 3 tablespoons of milk, then add extra 1-2 tablespoons of milk and cook until you get a smooth mixture.
Garnish – I have garnished coconut burfi rolls with edible silver leaves (vark). If you don’t use silver leaves, then you can omit the decoration part.
Flavoring – I have used saffron and cardamom flavoring. You can also use rose water or kewra water.
Food color – It is added only for presentation purposes. So adding food coloring is entirely optional.
How to make coconut burfi rolls vegan?
To make the vegan version of coconut burfi roll, replace the condensed milk with coconut condensed milk, milk with coconut milk, and milk powder with coconut flour. For greasing, use coconut oil.
What type of milk powder is best?
Full-fat or full cream milk powder makes the best-tasting coconut burfi roll. However, you can also use semi-skimmed or fat-free milk powder.
Is coconut burfi roll gluten-free?
Yes, this coconut burfi roll recipe is gluten-free as it uses only milk powder and desiccated coconut as a base.
Can I freeze the coconut burfi roll?
Yes, it is possible to freeze these coconut burfi rolls. To freeze these rolls, wrap each burfi roll in a piece of parchment paper. Then place them in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag. You can freeze these rolls for up to 2 months. Whenever you want to relish these rolls, just thaw them overnight in the refrigerator.
Coconut Burfi Roll (Step-by-step photo instructions)
For making Coconut Burfi Roll
- Add coconut, milk powder, condensed milk, and cardamom powder to a mixing bowl. Mix with a spatula. Add milk little by little and start kneading it to make a smooth dough.
- Once it is done, divide the coconut milk mixture into 2 portions. To one portion add chopped nuts and mix until everything is well combined.
- Add saffron strands to the second mixture and mix. Also add a few drops of saffron or yellow food color, if using. Mix until everything is mixed.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on the work surface and grease it using a brush dipped in ghee or melted butter. Place the white coconut and nuts mixture on it and roll it into a log. After the shape it into a long cuboid. Wrap it in the parchment paper and freeze for 5 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, place the second portion of the dough on greased parchment paper. Slightly flatten it with the heel of your palm and then cover it with another parchment paper.Roll the dough to about a 1/4 inch thick sheet. You may trim edges to make a rectangle or keep it like this. Place the previously prepared cuboid on the longer side of the rolled sheet.
- Start folding the rolled dough while pressing it lightly so that it sticks with the white cuboid. Make sure to seal the edges, and freeze it for about 10 minutes.
- Once chilled and set, remove the parchment paper. Decorate the top with edible sliver/golden leaves. Spread some crushed pistachios on the parchment paper and roll the cuboid on it and coat it with the pistachios.
- Trim the ends and cut the cuboid into 1/4 inch slices. I got around 12 burfi rolls from this. Coconut burfi rolls stay fresh for up to one week when stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.