Spanish Style Omelette Recipe - Tortilla Española - is traditionally made from eggs, potatoes, onions, and chorizo or tuna. To make it vegetarian I added vegetables instead of chorizo or tuna. You know what I love most about this dish — it’s so rich, classic and versatile.
Eggs and Veggies: What would you do if you got some eggs and veggies?
Let me tell you what I’d do. I have got an amazingly delicious recipe which is classic Spanish style Vegetable omelette. Sounds interesting?
Spanish food: Spanish food is richly flavoured and utterly delicious and this omelette is a classic dish.
Lazy Monday: Let’s all make today a lazy day and cook something very easy, or may be we just skip our offices and schools and stay at home and make a classic Spanish omelette and eat them in bed, and then relax in bed all day long! 😉
Why am I saying that? Why would anyone want to skip office on Monday? Right? Well, sometimes when weather is lazy, we all want to be lazy too.
It’s misty and super cold since this morning. Who would want to wake up, get ready and go out in such a dull weather. No one, right?
Chillax time: But I also know taking a break is not easy on Mondays, but we can sure feel like having a break and chillax when we come home in the evening.
Want to feel wonderful? I don’t know about you guys but I am sure enjoying this evening with super fluffy Spanish Style Vegetable Omelette and a glass of mojito. Oh! Feels so wonderful.
How about you? Do you also want to have the same feeling of wonderfulness? So you want it! Awesome, let’s do this!
A tasty breakfast: Another plus with this omelette is that you can have leftovers for breakfast or tomorrow’s lunch. We all know that breakfast is a must, and with the leftover omelette there will be no excuse of not having proper breakfast! 🙂
Not fancy, but awesomely good: There is nothing too fancy about this rustic Spanish style omelette, just lots of hearty goodness from crispy sauteed/fried potatoes and onions. So yes, today we are talking about these Spanish Style Vegetable Omelettes.
Rich and classic: This Spanish Style Vegetable Omelette or ‘Tortilla Espanola’ is made from eggs, potatoes, onions and chorizo or tuna. To make it vegetarian I added vegetables instead of chorizo or tuna. You know what I love most about this dish — it’s so rich, classic and multitalented.
Yes, they are multitalented. Wanna know why? It’s because:
// This colourful and packed with flavours, thick, flat omelette tastes good served at any temperature. You can have it hot, warm or cold.
// You can have it as a breakfast, starter, brunch, main dish, or even make the best picnic food when cut into bite sized pieces.
// You can serve them as a sandwich with bread + salad and it is a great office lunch.
Traditional, but more: The traditional recipe contains only potatoes, onions and eggs, but this version has extra vegetables added. I have added peas, corn, carrot, and peppers to this recipe.
Potatoes are cooked/fried right in the pan in traditional Spanish Oomelette recipe. But to save some time and energy you can parboil them first and then cook.
Sometimes the good things come in thick packages: You know what I love most about this Tortilla Espanola? The thickness. It’s thick – just like it should be. Oh! A fluffy omelette topped with some sauce, chili flake, and salad. That feeling of having a bite of this omelette is beyond YUM!
This particular recipe makes four big triangular pieces or you can cut it into 8 small pieces. If you cut it into eighths, serve it alongside salad or some crusty bread.
- Potatoes, peeled and diced - 3 medium
- Eggs - 4 Large
- Onion, peeled and diced - 2
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Chopped vegetables of your choice - ½ cup
- Olive Oil - 4 tbsp + 2 tsp
- ground pepper
- salt to taste
- For serving:
- Fruits or vegetable of your choice
- Any sauce of your choice
- Boil water in a medium sauce pan.
- Add potatoes to the water and parboil them for 5-7
- Now drain the potatoes (make sure you don’t overcook them – they should be cooked partially only to speed up the process) and add them to the pan.
- Heat up 3 table spoons of olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and vegetables and cook till all the vegetables are cooked.
- Break the eggs into a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and ground pepper and beat well.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, pour over the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the same pan.
- Pour over the egg mixture and flatten with a fork to shape into an omelette.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cover with lid.
- Cook slowly for 10-12 minutes or until almost set and golden brown underneath.
- Remove the lid.
- Now it is time to turn it over. For this, use a plate (cover the pan
- with the plate, holding both turn the pan over. Transfer the omelette back onto the pan and cook for further 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Top with your favorite salad, drizzle some sauce, sprinkle some pepper and serve with a slice of bread.
WATCH VIDEO BELOW: Spanish Style Omelette Recipe – Tortilla Española | Video Recipe
(Please wait for a couple of seconds for loading)
Direct Video link: https://www.youtube.com/embed/cYaVfs5raiQ