Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
What is Grilled Aubergine Roll-Ups with Spiced Lentils?
Grilled Aubergine Roll-Ups with Spiced Lentils is a spicy dish for dinner, which is alluring, highly fibrous, and a meal packed with iron. These are rolled up slices of perfectly grilled aubergine stuffed with a tasty mix of split bengal gram, which is cooked with tamarind paste and some spices. This super healthy food can be served as a snack, or as dinner, and can be accompanied with some rice or tortilla.
Let’s learn to make Grilled Aubergine Roll-Ups with Spiced Lentils in 7 easy to understand quick steps.
- aubergine sliced, lengthwise (eggplant/brinjal) – 1
- split bengal gram, washed (chana dal) – 1 cup
- tomato, chopped – 1
- onion, ginger-garlic paste – 1/2 cup
- pinch of asafetida
- cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds -1 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- coriander powder – 2 tsp
- red chili powder – 1 tsp
- tamarind paste – 1 tbsp
- salt as per taste
- olive oil – 2 tbsp
- coriander leaves, chopped – 1 tbsp
- Take a pressure cooker. Add chana dal, with 2 cups of water, asafetida, chopped tomatoes, salt, and turmeric powder. Close the coverlid, and pressure cook for 6-7 whistles. Remove from heat, and let the pressure cooker cool down for a while till there is no pressure remaining. Drain extra water, if there is any ( don’t throw that, we will use it in sauce).
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, and mustard seeds to it. When the seeds start to splutter, add onion and ginger-garlic paste to it.
- Let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Now add red chili powder, coriander powder, and tamarind paste along with ⅛ cup of water. Let the spices cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add pressure-cooked chana dal and mix well. Add chopped coriander to it. Cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat a grill over high heat. Grill the aubergine slices in batches for 3 minutes each side. Allow to cool slightly.
- Spread a heaped tablespoon of the cooked lentils mixture evenly over each eggplant slice. Roll up the eggplant slices, and close with wooden cocktail sticks.
- Arrange some cooked lentils on a serving plate. Top with grilled Aubergine Roll-Ups. Serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!
MY PHOTOGRAPHY NOTES: Camera:
Nikon D7100 Lens: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens
Setup: Used natural sunlight coming from left, and a reflector on the right side of the frame.
Props & Styling: Used some red and green chili for food styling, which is contrasting my yellow lentils dish. I also added some grilled aubergine, and lemon water to make my composition filler.
Angle: I clicked these photos with 90°, 70°, 50°, 45°.
Happy Cooking 🙂
Show us your love by commenting on this post, and share your thoughts.
Liked this post, then you will like this too. [simple-qr size=”” type=”url” url=”https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/grilled-aubergine-roll-ups-spiced-lentils-recipe//” margin=”0″ size=”160″ align=”center” pointer_text=”Get This Awesome Recipe On Your Smartphone.” pointer_color=”#FF1975″ pointer_position=”left”]