Whole Black Gram Sprouts with Oven Toasted Garlic Baguette. The spicy sprouts are so full of healthy proteins, carbs, vitamins and fibers, that this dish will keep you satiated.
I don’t usually get a chance to wish that to you all. But today I got one, after a long long time!! 🙂
This is because I usually don’t share any posts on thursdays. You might remember my posting schedule from my last post.
Last week, I made some gorgeous looking appetizer (or lunch), whatever you prefer to call them. I prefer to have this protein packed dish for lunch, as they can provide me all the healthy nutrients I need throughout my day. So lunch it was for me.
These days Abhishek and I are loving to munch on sprouts. Really, we are currently obsessed with sprouts. We can have sprouts for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Sprouts for breakfast, sprouts for lunch and sprouts for dinner? I know that’s too much. Actually, that’s insane. How can someone eat the same dish for 3 continuous meals? I think not many can.
And that’s why we eat sprouts for only one meal in a day. But if given a chance, we can sure have them for 3 meals. We just LOVE these.
But how’s it even possible?
Let me clear all your doubts and share with you a tiny secret about how we’re able to do this almost impossible thing. Are you all ears?
Here are 3 simple reasons:
- We eat sprout meal once in a day. That’s doable. Right?
- I never repeat the same variety of sprout for the next meal, so this way we have some more variations (I have made 7-8 bean sprouts till now).
- Plus, the combination I can create with these different sprouts is incredibly endless.
- Every Time when we eat sprouts, I try to make a new dish with this hearty ingredient.
So, now I have put down everything on the paper for you — so I hope everything is crystal clear now.
On a different note, it’s been a while since I talked about weather at my place. So let’s have some weather talk. What say?
Currently weather is 5°C but it was about -2°C in the morning. Yes, that’s a ‘minus’ sign. Weather has changed suddenly so fast. Pretty cold and getting even more colder.
In the morning, I saw the frosting everywhere — on the plants and the roads. That’s a pretty BIG sign that cold times are here. Besides, there is something else I would like to tell you.
This morning I did something which I shouldn’t have done. It was a goof, that I did not carry my gloves when I went out for the walk.
Oh god! It felt like this is the biggest mistake I have done in a while. My fingers just went numb, I somehow did some (very little than usual) walking. And as soon as I entered home, I rushed to the washroom, and turned-on the water tab towards as hot as I could and washed my fingers in hot water, literally HOT.
And soon after that, I had a steaming hot cup of coffee filled to the brim. Holding that hot mug really did help.
Then, I wanted to strengthen the following belief:
“Every experience, no matter how bad it seems, holds within it a blessing of some kind. The goal is to find it.” – Buddha
UGH. Well, what was the blessing here, you might ask.
See, I got this lesson today on a less cooler day, instead of a freezing cold snowy day. So everything happens for a reason. I just have to remember not to forget gloves the next time I’m outta home.
So the moral of the story is that I learnt one more lesson today. Well, we learn lessons everyday, but this one was really important and a keeper, which I will try not to forget. I know human mind can only remember 5-9 major things at a time. So from now on one thing is this — always check the weather before heading out and dress accordingly.
Oh, well, I guess it’s all. Let’s jump back to the recipe.
I really want to tell you about this pretty as ever Whole Black Gram Sprouts with Oven Toasted Garlic Baguette.
This is so perfect for this autumn. I would recommend to use fresh veggies and fresh baguette. They feel more fresh and more delicious.
For the sprouts, I kept everything really simple by combining sprouts + veggies + spices. You just need to chop the veggies, and then add everything to one bowl and toss.
I just love the mix of spicy, tangy flavour of the sprouts. Simply Love it.
I assume, spices make all things better, especially beans and sprouts. The spicy sprouts are so full of healthy proteins, carbs, vitamins and fibers, that this dish will keep you satiated. This colourful, tangy and spicy dish will take some planning if you are making sprouts on your own. But if you are using store bought sprouts, then making this is as easy as pie.
Oh, and I sprinkled just a few roasted pumpkin seeds. They added an EXTRA awesomeness to this dish.
You know what makes this dish awesome — the liberty to add any number of ingredients. You can add whatever you like to add. It could be more spicier or tangier. It completely depends on how you prefer to eat. No matter what you do, this will always come out as a winner.
And the best part is that you’ll just keep on eating these. They are so healthy, which is equal to an awesomeness times 5.
And oven roasted garlic baguette are so damn delicious. So crunchy, crispy, and full of tasty garlicky-pepper flavor. You sure can skip these if you are planning to have a grain-free meal. But, if that’s not the case, then I recommend having these sprouts with baguette.
So you can serve the sprouts and the toast on their own, but I find them better and AMAZINGLY delish together.
So what do you say? Would you like to have this as lunch or as an appetizer? Or may be even for dinner?
I know you all want it. So let’s now learn to make Whole Black Gram Sprouts with Oven Toasted Garlic Baguette.
Add olive oil, garlic salt and ground pepper to a bowl. Mix well and set aside for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut baguette into slices between 1/2 inch thick. Apply oil mixture on both sides of the baguette slices. Place slices on baking sheets. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 7-8 minutes or until bottoms are nicely toasted. Remove from the oven and place the slices on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Steam sprouts until they are tender but not mushy. I used a rice cooker for this. Let them cool. Take a large mixing bowl.
Add all the ingredients except pumpkin seeds. Toss well. Top with roasted pumpkin seeds.
Black Gram Sprouts Salad with Oven Toasted Garlic Baguette [Recipe]
(Rating: 4.7 from 35 reviews)
|Prep time 🕐||Cook time 🕐||Total time 🕐|
|Category ☶||Cuisine ♨||Serves ☺|
|Nutrition Info ⊛||Serving size ⊚|
|181 calories||1 serving|
For Oven Toasted Garlic Baguette //
- baguette - 1
- olive oil - 1/4 cup
- garlic salt - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- ground pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
For Whole Black Gram Sprouts //
- sprouted whole black gram (sabut urad) - 2 cups
- roasted cumin powder - 2 teaspoons
- chaat masala - 1 teaspoon
- black salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- salt, as per taste
- cayenne pepper - 1 teaspoons
- lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
- red onion, chopped - 1 large
- tomatoes, chopped - 1 large
- cucumber, chopped - 1/2 cup
- green bell pepper, chopped - 1/2
- pomegranate arils - 1/4 cup
- coriander leaves, chopped - 2 tablespoons
- finely chopped green chillies - 1/2 teaspoon
- tamarind chutney - 1 tablespoon (optional)
- raisins - 2 tablespoons
- roasted pumpkin seeds - 2 tablespoons
For Toasted Garlic Baguette //
- Add olive oil, garlic salt and ground pepper to a bowl. Mix well and set aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut baguette into slices between 1/2 inch thick.
- Apply oil mixture on both sides of the baguette slices.
- Place slices on baking sheets.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 7-8 minutes or until bottoms are nicely toasted.
- Remove from the oven and place the slices on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
For Whole Black Gram Sprouts //
- Steam sprouts until they are tender but not mushy. I used a rice cooker for this. Let them cool.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients except pumpkin seeds. Mix well. Top with roasted pumpkin seeds.
For Serving //
- Serve with oven toasted garlic baguette. Enjoy!
- No notes for this recipe.