Learn Exquisite Rajasthani Dal Dhokli Recipe- Whole Wheat Flour Dumplings Cooked With Seasoned Lentils recipe with simple step by step photos. This is one of the most famous & traditional rajasthani dishes.
Dal Dhokli is a very popular dish of the Indian states of Gujarat and Rajasthan.
Gujarati Dal Dhokli is made with ‘Split Pigeon Pea’ aka Toor/Arhar Dal, and lesser spicy. Whereas, in Rajasthan, there are a couple of versions of dal dhokli.
Some cooks in Rajasthan use ‘Split Black Gram’ aka ‘Urad Dal’, while others use ‘Split Green Gram‘ aka ‘Moong Dal‘. Some people also use the combination of Urad and ‘Chana Dal’ (Split Chickpea) or a combination of Urad dal + Chana Dal + Moong Dal.
Rajasthani Dal Dhokli is a lot spicier than the Gujarati version of Dal Dhokli.
Related: Restaurant Style Tadka Dal Recipe
No matter which one you go for, all of these versions taste great. I personally don’t really bother about the blend of dals. I often make dal dhokli impromptu, and the combination of dals depends on my mood for the day. Sometimes, unplanned meals are the best. 🙂
Nevertheless, last weekend, I made this hearty and soothing dish of ‘Rajasthani Dal Dhokli’ on my hubby dear’s request. His desire was to make his Mom’s recipe of ‘Dal Dhokli’.
Related: How to Make Dal Bafla
My Mom usually makes Rajasthani Dal Dhokli with Moong dal, or with all the three dhals/dals which I have mentioned above. While, my Mom-in-law makes dal dhokli only with the combination of ‘Urad Dal’, Moong Dal, and ‘Chana Dal’. And believe me, this ‘Dal Dhokli’ is one of her best recipes.
Whenever I visit India, I make sure that she cooks her traditional ‘ Dal Dhokli at least a couple of times’.
I have eaten almost all types of Dal Dhokli, but believe me, her ‘Dal Dhokli’ recipe is the yummiest. And that’s why I have named it ‘Exquisite Rajasthani Dal Dhokli’.
Related:: Rajasthani Dal Baati Churma Recipe
Sharing my Mom-in-law’s recipe was long due. And thankfully, hubby dear’s request finally gave me a chance to share it here.
Exquisite Rajasthani Dal Dhokli is one of the most famous & traditional Rajasthani dishes generally prepared and enjoyed in cold weather. This is a satisfying one-pot meal where spiced whole wheat dumplings are boiled in lentils until cooked. You can call it an Indian Style Pasta.
This Rajasthani Dal Dhokli is a mouth-watering Indian exquisiteness from the royal of Rajasthan. This is so full of healthy nutrients we need in a meal. Because this is made with spiced dough dumpling which is cooked in lentils until cooked through.
It is then seasoned with spicy onion and tomato masala. Clearly these spices enhance its fragrance and flavor. This Rajasthani dal dhokli is spicy, flavorsome, delicious one-pot meal.
Related: 3-Bean Thick Dal Makhani
This quick, simple and easy one pot meal is best served hot with papad. The serving of Papad makes this even tastier.
The good thing about this scrumptious and fuller one-pot meal of Dal Dhokli is that it can be made in a jiffy. And it keeps you full for a long time. This simply means that you won’t feel hunger pangs every other hour.
When to cook it?
Sometimes I make it for dinner when I have friends coming over a short notice, and I don’t have any fancy ingredients in my fridge. This meal is such a time saver and everyone loves it to the core.
Please do make it for your friends and family. This dish will surely get many eyeballs.
Follow my step-by-step instructions with pictures, and learn to cook Exquisite Rajasthani Dal Dhokli in easy to understand quick steps.
Method for Dhokli:
- Take a mixing bowl. Add all the dhokli ingredients except yogurt to the mixing bowl.
- Mix well, and add yogurt to make a stiff and smooth dough. Add some water if needed.
- Divide the dough to make marble sized balls, and press them like a disc. Spread them in a plate separately.
Method for Dal:
- Wash Bengal gram and black gram. Add to the pressure cooker along with turmeric powder, chopped tomatoes, salt, and 4 cups of water.
- Let them come to boil. Add dough balls to the boiling dal one by one. Cover the lid, and pressure cook dal with dough balls for 7-8 whistles.
- Remove from heat. When the cooker has cooled off, open it.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds to it.
- When they start to splutter, add chopped onion, and saute for about 3-4 minutes or till it turns pink.
- Add chopped, green chilies, shredded ginger-garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder along with ¼ cup of water.
- Let the spices cook with water for few minutes.
- Now add tempering to the cooked dal, and mix well. Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Method of serving:
- Transfer dal dhokli to the serving bowl.
- Top with lemon juice, chopped onions and coriander leaves.
Watch How To Make Exquisite Rajasthani Dal Dhokli Recipe – Whole Wheat Flour Dumplings Cooked With Seasoned Lentils Recipe video below (please wait for a couple of seconds for loading).
If you cook this dish, be sure to tag your photo with this hashtag: #mggk
Happy Cooking and Keep Sharing! 🙂