Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
What is Dal Sunehri?
Dal sunehri is an Indian lentils stew; which is the combination of two lentils (split black gram & split bengal gram), and seasoned with spices. Sunehri means golden in hindi; when this lentils stew is ready, it comes out beautiful golden in color. So I decided to name it, ‘Dal Sunehri’. This creamy, aromatic, and spicy lentils stew is a perfect side dish for lunch/dinner. Dal sunehri goes very well with flatbreads or steamed rice.
Let’s learn to make Dal Sunehri 5 in easy to understand quick steps.
- skinless split black gram, washed-1 cup
- split bengal gram, washed- ½ cup
- onion paste – ½ cup
- green chili, chopped
- tomato, chopped – 1
- ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- chili powder – 1tsp
- cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- coriander powder – 2 tsp
- turmeric powder – ¼
- garam masala powder – ¼
- dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) – 1 tbsp
- pinch of asafoetida
- olive oil – 2 tbsp
- lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Heat a pressure cooker. Add black gram, and split black gram, salt, tomato, asafoetida along with 4 cups of water. Cover the lid, and pressure cook for 6 whistles. Let it cook on on low heat for about 10 minutes. When the cooker is cooled off, open it.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard, and cumin seeds to it. When they start to splutter, add onion paste along with ginger-garlic paste. Saute for about 3-4 minutes or till it turns pink.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder along with ¼ cup of water. Let the spices cook with water for few minutes. Add kasuri methi and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add boiled dal, and mix well. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice and again mix well. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with any of your favorite bread or or steamed rice. Enjoy!
Happy Cooking 🙂
Show us your love by commenting on this post, and share your thoughts.
Liked this post, then you will like this too.