Effortless Summer Side Dishes - Buttermilk Biscuits
With summer approaching, this is a great time of year for family gatherings and cookouts. If it?s hard to decide what to cook, then try these side dishes.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/effortless-summer-side-dishes-buttermilk-biscuits/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 15 minutes
Cook Time = 18 minutes
Total Time = 33 minutes
Category = Breakfast
Cuisine = British
Serves = 8
Nutrition Info = 88 calories
Serving Size = 1 serving
» List of Ingredients
- Following are all the ingredients
» Ingredients //
- 2 cups flour
- Buttermilk (¾ cups milk plus 2tbs vinegar - this works with milk alternatives as well!)
- 6 tbsp butter, cold
- ¼ tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
» Instructions //
- If you?re making the buttermilk from scratch, combine the milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and let chill in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 450 and line a baking sheet. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- You can cube butter and cut it in, but we?ve found a simpler way to incorporate the frustrating ingredient // grate it. As long as the butter is cold, you can easily grate it using a cheese grater. Add the butter into the flour and use your hands to mix the two, crumbling the flour and butter between your hands until it reaches a fine, pea-sized consistency.
- Pour almost all of the buttermilk into the mixture (leave at least a few tablespoons) and beat it on low until everything is incorporated but not over-mixed. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and carefully fold it over repeatedly a few times.
- Making sure the surface is floured just enough that the dough won?t stick, flatten it by hand or with a roller to about ½ inch thickness. Cut out circles using a cookie cutter or by cutting with a knife around an upturned glass to guide you.
- After you place the biscuits on the baking sheet, brush the tops of each one lightly with the remaining buttermilk. If you?d like to add a bit of sweetness, drizzle honey on top.
- Bake at 450 for about 15-18 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- No notes for this recipe.