Carrot Sabudana Kheer - Carrot Sago Kheer
Kheer is a name for Indian milk pudding flavoured with cardamom, saffron, and dry fruits. Carrot Sabudana Kheer is a little twist to regular sabudana kheer.
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 30 minutes
Total Time = 40 minutes
Category = Dessert
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 5
Nutrition Info = 205 calories
Serving Size = 1 serving
» For Carrot Sago Kheer //
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sabudana (sago)
- 5 tablespoon sugar, or as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon pistachio, chopped
- 5-6 strands of saffron, crushed
- 5-6 almonds, chopped
- 1.5 cups water
» For garnishing //
- Sliced almonds
- Sliced pistachios
» Carrot Sago Kheer //
- Rinse sago pearls (sabudana) and soak them covered in 5 cups of water for about 2 hours.
- Drain almost extra water, and keep covered for 1 hour or until sabudana is soft.
- Heat a pan, and add ghee to it over medium heat.
- When the ghee is hot, add shredded carrot to it, and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Add milk and crushed saffron to carrots, and stir continuously till milk comes to boil.
- Once milk has boiled, add soaked sago (sabudana) and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, or till sabudana turns translucent. Do not overcook sabudana.
- Add sugar, and cardamom and let it cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add chopped pistachio, and chopped almonds and mix well.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with chopped almonds, pistachios and serve.
- Delicious Carrot Sabudana kheer is ready to serve. It can be served hot or cold.
- This festive sabudana kheer can be served during Navaratri or other fasts.