Prep Time = 5 minutes
Cook Time = 25 minutes
Total Time = 30 minutes
Category = Dessert
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 12-14
Nutrition Info = 130 calories
Serving Size = 1
» For Til Burfi (Sesame Seed Fudge):
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ghee
- 2 cups (500 ml) full-cream milk
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 1 cup sesame seeds (unhulled or hulled)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cashew nuts
» For Garnish:
- Edible silver leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoon of sliced almonds or almonds silvered (optional)
» How to Make Til Burfi (Sesame Seed Fudge):
- Add sesame seeds to a large stainless steel pan with a heavy bottom and toast them over medium-low heat till they are fragrant.
- Once they are slightly brown they will start to pop. It would take about 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer toasted sesame seeds to a plate and keep them aside to cool.
- Once cooled, place toasted sesame seeds in the bowl of a blender or food processor.
- Process sesame seeds to make a coarse powder (about 1 minute).
- Transfer the coarsely powdered sesame seeds to a plate and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of ghee and let it melt.
- After that, add milk and stir it well. Let it scalde over medium heat until you see the bubbles.
- Now add milk powder and mix it well.
- Cook over medium heat; keep stirring it often until the milk has thickened and reduced to half. It would take about 7-8 minutes.
- Now add sugar and mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add powdered sesame seeds and mix well until combined. Stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add chopped cashew nuts and cardamom powder and mix everything well.
- Keep stirring and cooking till the mixture starts to thicken and starts leaving the pan. At this point, the milk mixture would look doughy. Turn off the heat at this point.
- Line a pan a 7x5 inch pan or any plate with parchment paper.
- Then lightly grease it with the ghee.
- Transfer this mixture into the prepared pan/container.
- Spread it in an even single layer with the help of a spatula.
- Garnish with edible silver leaves and sliced almonds.
- Gently press down with a spatula so that nuts stick to the burfi.
- Let it sit for at least 2-3 hours at room temperature, or 1 hour in the refrigerator, or 15 minutes in the freezer.
- Remove the burfi from the pan. Cut the burfi (sesame seed fudge) into desired shapes using a sharp knife. Serve til burfi or store in a refrigerator for up to 15 days.
- You can cut this fudge into squares or any other shapes such as triangles, diamonds, etc.
- To set, you can leave this fudge at room temperature for 3-4 hours. If you want to speed up the setting process then put it in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour or chill it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Garnishing the burfi with edible silver leaves and sliced almonds is completely optional. So you can skip this step.
- You can easily double or half the quantity of this fudge.
- To make this recipe vegan, you replace milk with coconut milk, milk powder with coconut flour, and ghee with coconut oil.
- I have used cardamom flavoring for this. You can also add rose water, saffron strands, or ground cinnamon to this fudge.