Royal Rajasthani Gatta Pulav Recipe - Gatta Pulao
Rajasthani Gatta Pulav is exclusive and flavourful rice dish made with gram flour dumplings. This is perfect for festive occasions. Step-by-step pictures.
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 50 minutes
Total Time = 60 minutes
Category = Main
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4-5
Nutrition Info = 204 calories
Serving Size = 1 plate
» For Besan Gatta:
- 1 1/2 cups gram flour (besan)
- A pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste (adrak lehsun ka paste)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (dahi), at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (optional, I did not add any in this recipe)
- 1 tablespoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Water, if needed for kneading
» For Pulav/Pulao:
- 2.5 cups basmati rice, cooked
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3 tablespoons oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 bay leaves (tej patta)
- 2 cloves (laung)
- 2 dried red chilies (sukhi lal mirch)
- 2 small green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 4 green cardamoms (hair elaichi)
- 2 black cardamoms (moti or kali elaichi)
- 2 inch pieces cinnamon sticks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoons roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 1/2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- Fresh cilanrto (coriander) leaves, chopped
- Salt To Taste
» For Serving:
- Roasted peanuts
- Shredded carrots
- Raisins (kishmish)
» Making Gattas:
- Take a large mixing bowl.
- Add besan, asafetida, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, cumin seeds, ginger-garlic paste, yogurt, oil, Kasuri methi and knead into a stiff dough. Also add baking soda, if using.
- Use 2 tbsp of water if needed.
- Divide the dough into 4-6 equal portions and shape each portion into 10 inches long thin cylindrical roll.
- Boil enough water in a pan. Add rolls to the boiling water and boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Take out the rolls from the water and keep the water aside for the curry base.
- Cut each cylinder into 10-12 pieces, and keep aside.
- Gattas are ready. (You can watch gatta recipe video here)
» Making Gatta Pulav/Pulao:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep non-stick pan. Add onions and saute till they turn golden brown. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the same pan. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter for a few seconds.
- Now add green cardamom pods, black cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon sticks, red chiles, green chiles, bay leaf and sauté on a medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add cooked gattas and saute them for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, fried onions, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt, and mix well.
- Cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Once done, remove from heat.
- Garnish with raisins, peanuts, and carrots. Serve gatta pualv hot with plain yogurt or chilled raita.
- No notes for this recipe.