Restaurant Style Punjabi Dal Makhani Recipe
Restaurant Style Dal Makhani is famous for its aromatic flavors. This buttery and creamy dal is one of the most popular Indian dals served in restaurants.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/restaurant-style-dal-makhani-punjabi-maa-ki-dal-video-recipe/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 55 minutes
Total Time = 1 hour(s) 5 minutes
Category = Side
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4-6
Nutrition Info = 335 calories
Serving Size = 1 Serving
» For Dal:
- 1 cup whole black gram / sabut urad
- 1/4 cup red kidney beans / rajma
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 2 black cardamom / badi elaichi
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, grated
- Salt to taste
» For Tadka:
- 3 tablespoon butter + 1 tablespoon, (optional) (use vegan butter for vegan version)
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder or as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk, or 3 tablespoon fresh cream (use almond milk for vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons kasuri methi
» For Serving:
- Fresh cream (nut cream for vegan version)
- Cilantro (coriander) leaves, chopped
» Make Restaurant Style Dal Makhani:
- Rinse and soak sabut urad and rajma overnight in 5 cups of water. Once soaked, drain and rinse again.
- Add sabut urad and rajma in 3 cups of water with salt, ginger, garlic, onion to a pressure cooker.
- Cover with the lid, and pressure cook for 8-10 whistles or till both the dals are soft and cooked completely.
- Let the pressure come off before opening the lid.
- Open the lid to see if the rajma is totally soft. (You might need to pressure cook for 3 to 5 whistles more if the dal is not cooked). Mash the dals with the back of a ladle.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- When they start to splutter, add ginger, garlic, and onion and sauté till they become golden in color.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and sauté till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add this onion tomato masala to the cooked dal.
- Mix well and cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Add milk/cream and 1/4 cup of water and stir well.
- Cook on low heat for about 15-20 minutes. Keep on stirring occasionally to make sure that dals don?t stick to the bottom of the pan. (Add more water if you think dal is too thick).
- Add Kasuri methi and 1 tablespoon of the butter and cook for 2 more minutes.
- At this point, dal should be really soft and well blended. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with fresh cream and coriander leaves. Serve hot with naan, paratha or chapati.
- You can also make this Dal Makhani in an Instant Pot.
- Swap butter/ghee with vegetable oil or nut butter for vegan version.
- Authentic Dal Makhani requires whole urad, you can also add split urad dal.
- Use cashew cream or almond cream instead of milk cream for vegan version.