Paneer khurchan is a very delicious and easy North Indian curry recipe prepared with paneer (Indian cottage cheese). Ready in 30 minutes.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/paneer-khurchan/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 20 minutes
Total Time = 30 minutes
Category = Side
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4
Nutrition Info = 339 calories
Serving Size = 1
» For marination
- 4 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 250 grams Paneer, cut into strips
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon of red chili powder
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons oil/ghee
» Ingredients for paneer khurchan gravy
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks (dalchini)
- 7-8 cloves (laung)
- 7-8 peppercorns (kali mirch)
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 dried red (sukhi lal mirch)
- 1 black cardamom (moti ilaichi)
- 1 piece star anise (chakra phool)
- 2 medium-sized onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
- 1-2 medium-sized bell pepper/capsicum, sliced or juliennes
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 tablespoon ginger, juliennes
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander-cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur (dried mango) powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Kasuri methi (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
» For Serving
- Fresh Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger, juliennes
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 2-3 teaspoon fresh cream
» Marinating paneer:
- Add paneer cubes and ginger garlic paste to a plate. Then sprinkle with salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and oil. Gently massage and mix gently using hands until well coated. Keep the paneer aside for 20 minutes.
» Frying paneer:
- Add 4 tablespoons ghee to a pan. Once hot, add the paneer to the pan in a single layer. Fry from all the sides until the paneer has slightly golden edges and a crisp layer. Once fried, remove the paneer from the pan and transfer them to a plate. Set it aside.
» Making Paneer Khurchan:
- To the same pan, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, black cardamom, star anise, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and black peppercorns. Sauté them for a few seconds or until they turn crisp and aromatic.
- Now, add sliced onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes. After that add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste or freshly minced ginger-garlic. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add sliced tomatoes, bell peppers and mix well. Now add green chilies and ginger juliennes. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. TIP: You can cook 1-2 minutes on high heat if using an iron pan.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Mix well and cook everything for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add Kasuri methi and mix well. Also add 1 tablespoon of butter, coriander leaves and mix again until everything is well combined.
- Next, add fried paneer strips and toss everything gently. Cook for 2 minutes. Now, leave the pan untouched for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes scrap the paneer, if it has stuck to the pan, and mix.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the paneer khurhcan to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, ginger juliennes, and fresh cream. Drizzle with some lemon juice and serve hot with roti, paratha, or puri.
- Do not over-cook the paneer after adding it to tomato onion sauce. Just 2-3 minutes are enough to coat the paneer with spices.
- After adding paneer do not toss often, paneer should be untouched for some time to get that crispy layer.
- Do not overcook: Tomatoes and bell pepper should not be overcooked. Vegetables should retain their crunch, this curry tastes good when vegetables are slightly crunchy.
- You can make this curry vegan by swapping paneer with tofu and ghee with vegan butter or oil.