Nepalese Whole Wheat Steamed Veg Momos
Nepalese Whole Wheat Steamed Veg Momos are very popular street food in Nepal and in the Northern part of India. Momos are brilliant as a snack.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/nepalese-whole-wheat-steamed-veg-momos-recipe-video/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 30 minutes
Total Time = 40 minutes
Category = Snack
Cuisine = Nepalese/Chinese
Serves = 14-15
Nutrition Info = 35 calories
Serving Size = 1 momo
» For The Momos Dough:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons milk, and some water for kneading soft dough
» For Filling:
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 cup cabbage, grated
- 5 tablespoons bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon spring onion greens
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
» Make Momos Dough:
- Combine all-purpose flour, salt, and oil in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add milk and mix well again.
- Now add enough water to make a smooth dough, just like the chapati dough. Apply a little oil.
- Cover it and let it rest for 30 minutes.
» Make Filling:
- Add shredded cabbage to a bowl. Add salt and mix well.
- Squeeze out the excess water. (You can use this nutritious water for kneading chapati dough)
- Add shredded carrots, bell pepper, spring onion greens and mix well.
- Now add the chili sauce, the soy sauce, vinegar, ginger-garlic paste, salt, and mix well.
- Now add black pepper and mix well again.
- Momos stuffing is ready. Keep it aside.
» Making Dumplings:
- Divide dough into 14-15 equal sized balls.
- Coat them with some dry flour, and roll each dough ball thin into about 3 inch circle, or until almost translucent. The edges should be thin. Roll all the balls similar way.
- Place about 1 tbsp filling in the center. Wet the edge with some water.
- Bring one edge and start pleating as shown in the video above.
- Twist to seal the dumpling. Stuff the rest of the dough balls in the same way.
- Heat water in a steamer or a pan. Arrange the momos on the steaming basket. Make sure to have some space between them, so they do not stick to each other.
- Place the steaming basket over the steamer or pan and steam for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with spicy momos chutney.
- You can cover the steaming basket with lettuce or cabbage.