Chana Masala Recipe - Spicy Chickpeas Curry
Chana Masala is a Spicy Chickpeas Curry which is very popular in Indian subcontinent. This vegan and gluten-free curry is prepared with chickpeas.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/nayab-chana-masala-spicy-chickpeas-curry-vegetarian-recipe/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 45 minutes
Total Time = 55 minutes
Category = Side
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4-6
Nutrition Info = 180 calories
Serving Size = 1 serving
» For Chana Masala
- Chickpeas (Chana) - 2 Cups
- Tomatoes, Chopped - 2
- Onion, Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1 Cup
- Tamarind Paste - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 Tsp
- Whole Garam Masala 1 Piece Each (Cinnamon Stick 1, Bay Leaf 1, 2 Cloves, 1 Black Cardamom)
- A Pinch Of Asafoetida / Hing
- Red Chili Powder - 1 ½ Tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - ¼ Tsp
- Chana Masala (Optional) - 2 Tbsp
- Fresh Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- Salt To Taste
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Kasuri Methi / Dried Fenugreek Leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar (Optional) - 2 Tsp
» How to Make Chana Masala
- Soak chickpeas in water for 7-8 hours or overnight. In the morning wash them with fresh water and pressure cook with salt and whole garam masala (bay leaf, black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick).
- Cover the lid and pressure cook till the pressure cooker whistles 3-4 times. Reduce heat to low and cook it on low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let the cooker cool down.
- When the cooker has cooled off, open the lid and pour into a bowl. Now slightly mash the chickpeas with the back of a ladle.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and let them splutter. Add onion, ginger-garlic paste and saute for 4-5 minutes. Now add chopped tomatoes and cook until it oozes oil.
- When puree is cooked, add tamarind paste with chili powder, chana masala, and salt.
- Stir well and add boiled chickpeas with a cup of water and cook on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add Kasuri methi and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Cook on low heat for at least another 30 minutes. Cooking on low heat would make it more flavorous, however, if you are in hurry cook for at least 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti, or any of your favorite bread or rice. Enjoy!
- No notes for this recipe.