Kashmiri Pink Chai - Noon Chai (Video)
This Kashmiri pink chai has a rich, creamy, buttery and slightly thick texture which is thin enough to drink. It has a magical aroma of cardamom, saffron.
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 5 minutes
Cook Time = 45 minutes
Total Time = 50 minutes
Category = Drinks
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4-5
Nutrition Info = 85 calories
Serving Size = 1 Cup
» For Kashmiri Pink Chai:
- 3 tablespoons Kashmiri chai / tea leaves (you can also use good quality green tea if you don?t find kashmiri chai aves)
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ice cold water
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 7-8 saffron strands
- 6-7 green cardamom pods, crushed slightly (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Sugar according to your taste
- Sliced almonds or crushed almonds and pistachios (I have added sliced almonds here)
» Make Kashmiri Pink Chai:
- Pour 2 cups water, Kashmiri chai (green tea leaves), crushed cardamom and baking soda in a pan.
- Stir well with a ladle, and let it come to a boil. Keep pouring vigorously with a ladle as shown in the video. Let the tea mixture steep well and boil on medium-low heat until the water is reduced to half. It would take about 18-20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add 2 cups of cold water. Adding ice-cold water helps in holding the strong pink color.
- Pour it vigorously again with the ladle for about 1 minute.
- Turn on the heat and let it boil again for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add sugar and salt, or only salt, or only sugar. Let it boil again.
- Keep stirring the mixture and add the milk to this steeping tea mixture.
- Boil for about 10 minutes. The more you boil this tea, the stronger, rich and creamier the tea will be.
- Strain the tea into cups, and add sliced almonds or crushed dry fruits.
- Serve it with your favorite snacks and enjoy it.
- Store this tea in the flask without adding milk and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Add milk and boil it again whenever you want to drink this tea.
- Adding saffron gives it a nice flavor, so I recommend adding it.