How to make Puri Bhaji - Poori Bhaji - Batata Bhaji Poori
How to make Puri Bhaji. ?Poori Bhaji? is a combination of two dishes served together where ?Poori? is a puffed up, flaky deep fried Indian bread.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/how-to-make-puri-bhaji-poori-bhaji-recipe-video-batata-bhaji-poori-recipe/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 25 minutes
Total Time = 35 minutes
Category = Main
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 6
Nutrition Info = 350 calories
Serving Size = 1 serving
» For Poori/Puri //
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 1/4 cup semolina (suji)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep-frying pooris
- Water for kneading dough
» For Bhaji/Sabji //
- oil - 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon split black gram (urad dal)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera )
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- a pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon adrak (ginger), finely chopped
- 1 large onions (pyaaz), sliced
- 1 tablespoon green chilies (hari mirch), chopped
- Salt (namak) to taste
- 6 small or 3 large aloo/potatoes, boiled, and slighly mashed or cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon haldi (turmeric) powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander (dhaniya) powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried mango powder (amchoor powder)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (coriander) leaves
- 1/8 cup water
» How to Make Poori/Puri:
- Combine the whole wheat flour, semolina, salt, and 2 tablespoons of oil and mix well.
- Knead into a stiff dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap or a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions and roll out each portion into a thin log as shown in the video.
- Cut each log into ½-inch pieces.
- Roll each piece into small rounds of 5-inches diameter.
- Heat enough oil in a pan for frying. Now put one rolled out poori/puri into the hot oil.
- Lightly press it with a spatula so that it puffs up.
- Fry them till they turn golden brown in color from both sides.
- Transfer fried pooris to a kitchen towel.
» How to Make Bhaji/Sabji:
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick pan.
- Once the oil is hot add urad dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and asafetida.
- Once seeds start turning golden brown add chopped ginger and saute for a minute.
- Add sliced onions and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add green chilies and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add boiled, peeled, and slightly mashed or cubed potatoes in oil.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt, and amchoor powder.
- Give a nice stir to combine potatoes with other spices.
- Now add in the water and mix well.
- Let it cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat or till the water dries out.
- Garnish with freshly Chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with puri.
- Always add oil to flour while kneading the dough for puri, this would give you a nice stiff yet a softer dough.
- Always roll pooris with the help of few drops of little oil, this would make rolling easier.
- Never roll pooris too thin, they won't puff up perfectly.
- Don't overlap the rolled pooris, they might stick with each other.
- While frying pooris make sure that oil is hot enough, otherwise pooris will not puff up nicely.
- To check if the oil is hot enough, add tiny dough pieces to the oil, if it rises up immediately then the oil is ready.