Hyderabadi Egg Biryani - Egg Dum Biryani (Video Recipe)
Egg Dum Biryani is a splendid rice indulgence, satiated with the magic of Indian spices, herbs and spiced hard boiled eggs. Pair with plain yogurt or raita.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/how-to-make-easy-restaurant-style-egg-dum-biryani-recipe/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 40 minutes
Total Time = 50 minutes
Category = Main
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4-5
Nutrition Info = 275 calories
Serving Size = 1 Plate
» For Rice:
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 cups water
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
» for gravy:
- 2 tablespoon ghee/butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5-6 green cardamom
- 4-5 cloves
- 4-5 black peppercorns
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup yogurt (curd)
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon biryani masala
- 3-4 green chilies, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon fried onions
» for roasting eggs:
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon biryani masala
» For Saffron Milk:
- 8 tablespoons warm milk
- 20 strands saffron strands
» For Assembling:
- 2 tablespoons fried onions
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, roughly chopped
» Making Saffron Milk:
- Soak 20 saffron strands 1/4 cup warm milk for 30 minutes. Keep it aside.
» Cooking Rice:
- Wash and soak 1.5 cup rice in enough water for about 30 minutes. In a large pot, add 5 cups water, rice, ghee / oil, lemon juice, salt, star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Boil the rice until it is 70% cooked. Drain the excess water and keep them aside.
» Roasting Eggs:
- Heat 1 teaspoon ghee in a non-stick pan.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder, a pinch of salt, 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder, and 1/4 teaspoon biryani masala.
- Prick the eggs with a fork and roast them with the spices over medium heat for 4 minutes, or until the masala is coated well.
- Cut the eggs into halves and roast them for 3 more minutes.
- Once the eggs are done, remove them from heat and set aside.
» Making Gravy For Egg Dum Biryani:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee and 1 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, cloves, peppercorns and sauté the whole spices for a few seconds or until fragrant.
- Now, add sliced onions and sauté for 3 minutes or until they are light golden in color.
- Add 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste and sauté over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons cashews and cook for 1 more minute.
- Now add 1 cup sliced tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon red chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 2 tablespoons biryani masala, 3 green chilies, 2 tablespoon mint leaves, and 2 tablespoon coriander leaves and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup yogurt, stir well until combined and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the raw smell is gone.
- Now, add 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder, salt and mix well again.
- Once mixed, add 1/2 cup water and stir well. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until the gravy thickens up. Turn off the heat. Remove it from the stove and set aside.
» For Assembling Biryani:
- Layer 1: Take 1/3rd of the cooked rice and spread it in a pot or handi to form layer 1.
- Layer 2: Now take 3/4th of gravy and spread over rice to form layer 2. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon mint leaves, 1 teaspoon coriander leaves, and 1 tbsp fried onions over it.
- Layer 3: Take 1/3rd of the cooked rice and spread it over gravy to form layer 2. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons of saffron milk over it. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon mint leaves, 1 teaspoon coriander leaves over it.
- Layer 4: Arrange egg halves over layer 3, and add remaining 1/4th of the gravy and spread it well to form layer 5.
- Layer 5: Take 1/3rd of the cooked rice and spread over to form layer 4. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons of saffron milk over layer 4. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon mint leaves, 1 teaspoon coriander leaves, and 1 tbsp fried onions over it. (See how the layers are arranged in this picture below).
» Cooking Egg Dum Biryani:
- Seal the rice and gravy filled pot with an aluminum foil and cover tightly with the lid.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a wide pan. Place the rice and gravy pot over it.
- Cook it on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes. Add more water, if it gets dried up. Turn off the heat. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Unwrap the egg biryani.
- Serve egg dum biryani hot with a raita and chutney.
- For this egg dum biryani recipe, I have used store-bought fried onions, but you can simply use homemade deep-fried onions.