Schezwan Sauce Recipe
Schezwan sauce is a spicy and hot Chinese chili sauce which is used in many fusion Indo Chinese dishes. It?s spicy, slightly sweet, slightly tangy in taste.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/homemade-schezwan-sauce-video-recipe/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 30 minutes
Total Time = 40 minutes
Category = Condiment
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 315 g
Nutrition Info = 20 calories
Serving Size = 1 Tbsp
» For Schezwan Sauce
- Dried red chili - 100g
- Sesame oil or vegetable oil - 1/4 cup or 1 dl
- Garlic, finely chopped - 1/4 cup or 1 dl
- Ginger, finely chopped - 4 tbsp
- water - 1/4 cup or more if needed
- Sichuan pepper/schezwan pepper, crushed - 1/2 tsp (You can also use black pepper if you don't have )
- White vinegar - 3 tbsp
- Soy sauce - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
» How to Make Schezwan Sauce
- Soak dried red chilies in hot water for 30 minutes or till they turn soft. (You can also de-seed chilies if you wish.)
- After 30 mins, discard the water and blend to make a nice and smooth paste. (You can add a little water if required.)
- Chili paste is ready. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add garlic and sauté for few seconds.
- Add ginger and sauté for about 2 minutes or till ginger-garlic is golden in color.
- Now add in prepared red chili paste and stir well.
- Let it cook till the chili paste reduces oil.
- Add water and stir well.
- Cover with lid and let it cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes or cook till the sauce till oil floats on top. (Keep stirring occasionally and add more water if needed to require the desired consistency.)
- No add in salt, sugar, sichuan pepper, soy sauce, and tomato ketchup.
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add white vinegar and stir well again. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes or till oil leaves the sides.
- Let it cool completely and store in an airtight jar and refrigerate.
- Use it as a dipping sauce or when add it in your favorite Indo Chinese recipes.
- 1. This sauce stays fresh for about 2 to 3 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- 2. You can also add celery to this sauce for that extra herby punch.