Lobia Briyani - Black Eyed Bean Carrot Biryani
Lobia Biryani Recipe | Black Eyed Bean Carrot Biryani is the main course meal loaded with carrots, black-eyed beans and spices.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/black-eyed-bean-carrot-biryani-video/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 50 minutes
Total Time = 1 hour(s)
Category = Main
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4
Nutrition Info = 222 calories
Serving Size = 1 serving
» For Lobia (Black Eyed Bean) Biryani:
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, washed and soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 2 cups cooked black eyed beans
- 2 large-sized carrot, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3-4 cloves
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1½ tablespoons red chilli powder
- 3 large-sized tomatoes chopped
- salt to taste
- 2-3 small green chillies chopped
- Fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder + extra for sprinkle
- Boiled water
- Citrus fruit for serving (optional)
» How to Make Lobia (Black Eyed Bean) Biryani:
- Add soaked rice to a pot and add boiled water, salt, and stir well.
- Boil till 3/4 is done. Drain any excess water. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan, add cumin seeds.
- When they begin to crackle, add chopped onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add carrots, chopped green chilies, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute well.
- Add tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add cooked beans, salt and mix well. Cook covered for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Take an oven-safe pan/pot.
- Spread a layer of half the parboiled rice and flatten with a spatula.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro and garam masala powder.
- Pour the cooked beans gravy and flatten with a spoon.
- Spread another layer of the rice and flatten it.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and garam masala powder.
- Pour some more beans gravy.
- Wrap with foil and cook in the oven at 175°C for 30-35 minutes.
- Unwrap the foil paper.
- Serve steaming hot biryani with some raita and some citrus fruit. Enjoy!
- You can reduce the amount of garam masala powder if you are adding red chili powder.