Bharwa Bhindi - Stuffed Okra
Learn to make Bharwa Bhindi Recipe | Stuffed Okra Masala Recipe with a simple and easy video tutorial. Bharwa Bhindi is a very crowd-pleasing side dish.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/bharwa-bhindi-recipe-stuffed-okra-masala-recipe-video/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 15 minutes
Cook Time = 23 minutes
Total Time = 38 minutes
Category = Side
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4-6
Nutrition Info = 151 calories
Serving Size = 1 Serving
» For Bharwa Bhindi:
- 498 grams/1.1 lb okra/bhindi (mine were around 34 pods)
- 1 tablespoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2-3 teaspoon water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5-6 small green chilies (hari mirch)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (lehsun)
» For Serving:
- Ginger slices
- Cilantro (coriander) leaves
- Lemon wedges
» Cutting Bhindis:
- Wash the bhindi and wipe them using a kitchen/ paper towel. (Make sure that that bhindi is completely dry.) Trim the head of each bhindi.
- Now using a knife make a lengthwise slit in each bhindi without cutting through the whole length. (The bhindis should still be intact in one piece, you can check the video I have shared above.)
- Keep them aside.
» Making Stuffing:
- To a mixing bowl add cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, dried mango powder, salt, asafetida, and 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- Mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Now add 2 tsp of water Then add 2-3 teaspoons of water to the stuffing and mix it well with the spices.
- The stuffing masala is now ready.
- Take one bhindi and stuff it with the generous amount of stuffing masala using a spoon or with hands.
- Stuff all the bhindis. Keep the remained stuffing aside, we will use it later.
» Cooking Bharwa Bhindi:
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a broad non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Once the seeds start to splutter add the 5-6 green chilies and 1 tablespoon chopped garlic.
- Let them sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Arrange all the stuffed bhindis in a single layer in the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook on medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and gently stir and flip the bhindis/okras.
- Cover the pan again and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes flip the bhindis again.
- Cover and cook until bhindis/okras are soft and cooked. (keep stirring bhindis after 2-3 minutes.) After about 6 minutes bhindis should be nicely cooked.
- Add 2 tsp of oil to the center and add 2 tsp of masala stuffing.
- Mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes. Bharwa bhindi is ready.
- Transfer bharwa bhindi to a serving dish.
- Garnish with ginger slices, lemon wedge, and coriander leaves.
- Serve bharwa bhindi hot with duppad roti, puri, or paratha.
- No notes for this recipe.