Aloo Baingan - Potato Eggplant (Cooker + Instant Pot)
Aloo Baingan Masala - Potato Eggplant Curry makes a flavorful, and hearty vegetarian Indian curry made with potatoes and eggplants. Ready under 25 minutes.
Recipe Source Link:https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/aloo-baingan-masala/
« Go back Print this recipe »
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 15 minutes
Total Time = 25 minutes
Category = Side
Cuisine = Indian
Serves = 4
Nutrition Info = 40 calories
Serving Size = 1 serving
» For Aloo Baingan Masala:
- 2 cups potatoes (aloo), diced
- 2 cups eggplants/brinjal (baingan), diced
- 2 tbsp oil (tel)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 cup onions (pyaaj)
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes (tamatar), diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic (lehsun), crushed or minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger (adrak), sliced
- 1 tablespoon green chilis (hari mirch), chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder (amchoor powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt (namak) to taste
- 1 tablespoon Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Chopped coriander leaves (kata hua hara dhania) for garnish
» How to make Aloo Baingan Masala in Pressure Cooker:
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and asafoetida.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté them for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add green chilies, ginger, and garlic. Mix everything and saute for 1 minute.
- Then add diced tomatoes, and saute for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the spices (coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt) and mix everything well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, eggplants, dried mango powder, and mix well.
- Next, add the water and mix it well again.
- Add Kasuri methi and garam masala powder. Mix everything well to combine.
- After that, just close the pressure cooker with the lid.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles on high heat. Turn off the stove, and let the pressure cool off completely before opening the lid.
- You can garnish this curry with some Kasuri methi and chopped coriander leaves. Serve Aloo Baingan hot with paratha or any other flatbread of your choice.
» How to make Instant Pot Aloo Baingan:
- Start the instant pot in sauté mode.
- When the display reads ?Hot', add oil. Once the oil heats up, add cumin seeds, mustard, and asafoetida.
- When the seeds start to splutter and sizzle, add chopped onions and sauté them for 2 minutes.
- Add green chilies, ginger, and garlic. Mix well and saute for another minute.
- Then add tomatoes and stir well. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Now add spices (coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt) and sauté for another 2 more minutes.
- Now just add eggplants, potatoes and mix well.
- Also add dried mango powder, Kasuri methi, and garam masala powder.
- Add water and stir well again.
- Cover the instant pot with a lid, set the valve to sealing position.
- Cook on manual (high pressure) for 4 minutes. Do a quick pressure release by sealing the valve from sealing to venting. Once the pin drops, open the lid. Serve hot with some garlic tandoori roti or pulao.
- For a dry version of aloo baingan, skip the tomatoes in the recipe. Also, add only 1-2 tbsp water in the recipe.
- For making a dry version of no ginger-garlic Aloo Baingan (Sukhi Aloo Baingan ki Sabji), you can also skip the onion, tomatoes, and ginger-garlic in this recipe.
- Skip onion and garlic in this recipe to make it no-onion-garlic dish, and cook it with tomatoes, ginger and green chilies. Rest of the recipe is the same.
- You can also replace crushed garlic and sliced ginger with ginger-garlic paste.
- You can entirely skip the tomatoes in this recipe. Just drizzle with some squeezed lemon juice for the tang right before serving it.
- You can swap diced tomatoes with tomato puree.