Chickpea and potato curry is a savory dish that will satisfy meat-lovers, vegetarians, and vegans alike.
In addition to being delicious, this dish is quite healthy since it contains spices and nutrient-rich, whole-food ingredients.
What are the ingredients you will need to make Chickpea and potato curry?
Here is a list of ingredients and the instructions for an easy, Indian-style chickpea and potato curry that you and your family will most certainly enjoy.
Note that this is a deliciously aromatic dish, so it will require quite a bit of spices. However, you can vary the quantities based on your tolerance to heat! The ingredients listed below will yield four servings.
You will need one pound of potatoes. It is best to use Yukon potatoes since they bring a bit of sweetness into the mixture. The potatoes should be peeled and cut into small cubes.
You will need 15 ounces of chickpeas. You can use canned chickpeas.
- Tomatoes and peas
You will need 30 ounces of fire-roasted tomatoes and one cup of peas. You can use canned tomatoes and frozen peas.
- Onion and garlic
You will need one diced onion and five chopped cloves of garlic.
- Oil and broth
You will need three tablespoons of olive oil and one and one-half cups of vegetable broth. You can use low-sodium vegetable broth if that is your preference.
- Curry and garam masala
You will need two teaspoons of curry powder and one teaspoon of garam masala powder. As previously mentioned, you can use more or less, depending on your taste.
- Sugar, salt, and black pepper
You will need one tablespoon of sugar. Also, you can use salt and black pepper to season the dish to your liking.
- Cayenne pepper
If you want a medium or hot dish, you can add cayenne pepper. But if you want a mild dish, you can forgo adding cayenne.
If you like chickpea recipes, then you would also like this healthy and delicious chickpea salad.
Easy Chickpea and Potato Curry Recipe (Step-by-step photo instructions)
How to Make Easy Chickpea and Potato Curry Recipe
- Heat your olive oil in a large pot and add your diced onions to it once it becomes hot. Stir the onions for two minutes.
- Next, add your chopped garlic cloves and stir for one minute more.
- Add your fire-roasted tomatoes. If you use canned tomatoes, you can add the juices from the can into the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and blend until it is smooth. As you blend, you can add up to half of your vegetable broth. Transfer the mixture back into the large pot.
- Add the remaining half of the broth, your potatoes, your chickpeas, your peas, and your sugar. Also, add your curry and garam masala powders.
- Allow the ingredients to simmer for about 10 minutes; doing this will ensure that the potatoes are soft and tender.
- Finally, season with salt and black pepper; add cayenne pepper if desired.
- Serve this dish with a grain such as a slice of naan bread, a loaf of pita bread, a cup of rice, or a bowl of quinoa. You can also serve it with a protein such as tofu, or even braised pork shanks (as described in this recipe).